Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: John Lennon Convention 2010  (Read 8414 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
John Lennon Convention 2010
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »

Since it will be the anniversary of John's 70th birthday and in tribute to the 30th anniversary of his death, Liverpool will spend three months, from October - December 2010 honouring John with numerous events and exhibitions. I am on the committee arranging many of the ideas for the period. Perhaps fans of John will have other suggestions to make
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:00:53 AM by Bobber »

Ahme

Re: John Lennon Convention
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »

How about a collection of his art? I mean, not Yoko's, but John's.  ha2ha

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:57:33 PM »

Excuse me, Bill, are you going to invite Paul and Ringo?

I would gladly attend a kind of an informal seminar or "lecture" under the guidance of Bill Harry called John Lennon I Knew Personally with some other lecturers speaking, those who knew John and who would come to the celebrations and those from Liverpool. Or you could invite them. It could be arranged not in some lecture hall but in a cafe with people sitting at tables and having some snacks. After speaking the orators should also take their seats at tables. After this part a band can play John`s music for everybody to listen to or to dance to.
Since the celebrations would last for three months you can have a succession of speakers, which would make the happening everlasting, with some orators leaving Liverpool and new orators arriving. The "seminar" can take place once every two weeks. Cause tourists usually come at this interval.
Maybe this all is not a good idea, but I would enjoy it very much! Because a living word does impress.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »

Here is part of the proposal I have put forward:

OHN LENNON CONVENTION.

Although there have been numerous Beatles Conventions throughout the world since the early Eighties, there has never been a major John Lennon convention and it is appropriate that Liverpool should be the first city to present one.

The Matthew Street Festival draws literally hundreds of thousands of people to Liverpool each year. A similar influx of visitors could well flood into the city for a ‘John Lennon Anniversary Season’, with the international promotion beginning early in order to ensure that visitors haven’t booked elsewhere at the time.

This first major convention dedication entirely to John, will feature guests, events, dealers’ tables, tribute bands etc. This could take place at either the Adelphi Hotel or the Hard Day’s Night Hotel, although the latter would be on a smaller scale.

The current organisers of the Beatles Conventions, Bill Heckle and Dave Jones have been running the event for a considerable time and might wish to run the John Lennon Convention themselves at their usual venue.

The guests would include ones specifically associated with John, who have interesting stories and anecdotes to relate. The following list suggests various guests primarily from the first 28 years of John’s life. The accent on the first 28 years of John’s life is because it allows for a concentration on his early and formative years in Liverpool and does not focus on the Yoko Ono years which have been too heavily milked over the decades. An exception could be May Pang.

SUGGESTED GUESTS FOR CONVENTION OR LECTURES.

The following guests all have a strong association with John, although few of them have appeared at Beatles receptions in the past. Should the convention proceed, they would be ideal guests. If it is decided not to hold a Convention, then the guests could perhaps present lectures over the season at various appropriate venues such as the Bluecoat.

Cynthia and Julian Lennon. We should approach both Cynthia and Julian as they might welcome a tribute which honours John’s roots and early life and their part in it. I believe Julian has decided to return to performing and could be approached to headline a concert in the city.

Stan Parkes. John’s cousin and the person John considered his big brother. He was the cause of John’s parents meeting as Julia would wheel Stan in his pram in Sefton Park and met Alfred Lennon there and they eventually married. Stan was John’s closest companion in the early years of his life and when he moved to Scotland, would collect John every year to spend his holidays at the family croft. He unveiled the blue plaque at John’s Menlove Avenue home.

Rod Murray. The student friend who John offered the job of bass guitarist to. A member of the Dissenters (John, Stuart, Rod, Bill), who shared the Gambier Terrace apartment with John and Stu.

Jonathan Hague. Another art school chum of John’s. John sponsored his London exhibition and bought him a house in Leamington Spa. He was in the lettering class with John when he first got to know Cynthia.

Julia Baird. John’s half-sister, author of a book on John’s early life which was the basis of the recent film.

Pete Shotton. John’s closest friend from his early life. Although he lives abroad, he might consider an appearance during the week – if so, apart from a talk and Q&A session, he could play a session with the Quarrymen.

Nigel Walley. One of John’s original group of friends, who John appointed as manager of his group, the Quarrymen. Through Nigel the Quarrymen achieved their first Cavern booking.

Helen Anderson. A good friend of John’s from the art college. The person who John gave a book of his illustrations to, which she still owns.

nufc

• One And One Is Two
    • http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nufcmichael
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »

nice idea harry but I don't see it happening.
Make easy money just by searching!

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »

nice idea harry but I don't see it happening.

Why not?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »

Since it will be the anniversary of John's 70th birthday and in tribute to the 30th anniversary of his death, Liverpool will spend three months, from October - December 2010 honouring John with numerous events and exhibitions. I am on the committee arranging many of the ideas for the period. Perhaps fans of John will have other suggestions to make

That sounds wonderful, and I wish you much luck on that.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »

Here is part of the proposal I have put forward:

OHN LENNON CONVENTION.

Although there have been numerous Beatles Conventions throughout the world since the early Eighties, there has never been a major John Lennon convention and it is appropriate that Liverpool should be the first city to present one.

The Matthew Street Festival draws literally hundreds of thousands of people to Liverpool each year. A similar influx of visitors could well flood into the city for a ‘John Lennon Anniversary Season’, with the international promotion beginning early in order to ensure that visitors haven’t booked elsewhere at the time.

This first major convention dedication entirely to John, will feature guests, events, dealers’ tables, tribute bands etc. This could take place at either the Adelphi Hotel or the Hard Day’s Night Hotel, although the latter would be on a smaller scale.

The current organisers of the Beatles Conventions, Bill Heckle and Dave Jones have been running the event for a considerable time and might wish to run the John Lennon Convention themselves at their usual venue.

The guests would include ones specifically associated with John, who have interesting stories and anecdotes to relate. The following list suggests various guests primarily from the first 28 years of John’s life. The accent on the first 28 years of John’s life is because it allows for a concentration on his early and formative years in Liverpool and does not focus on the Yoko Ono years which have been too heavily milked over the decades. An exception could be May Pang.

SUGGESTED GUESTS FOR CONVENTION OR LECTURES.

The following guests all have a strong association with John, although few of them have appeared at Beatles receptions in the past. Should the convention proceed, they would be ideal guests. If it is decided not to hold a Convention, then the guests could perhaps present lectures over the season at various appropriate venues such as the Bluecoat.

Cynthia and Julian Lennon. We should approach both Cynthia and Julian as they might welcome a tribute which honours John’s roots and early life and their part in it. I believe Julian has decided to return to performing and could be approached to headline a concert in the city.

Stan Parkes. John’s cousin and the person John considered his big brother. He was the cause of John’s parents meeting as Julia would wheel Stan in his pram in Sefton Park and met Alfred Lennon there and they eventually married. Stan was John’s closest companion in the early years of his life and when he moved to Scotland, would collect John every year to spend his holidays at the family croft. He unveiled the blue plaque at John’s Menlove Avenue home.

Rod Murray. The student friend who John offered the job of bass guitarist to. A member of the Dissenters (John, Stuart, Rod, Bill), who shared the Gambier Terrace apartment with John and Stu.

Jonathan Hague. Another art school chum of John’s. John sponsored his London exhibition and bought him a house in Leamington Spa. He was in the lettering class with John when he first got to know Cynthia.

Julia Baird. John’s half-sister, author of a book on John’s early life which was the basis of the recent film.

Pete Shotton. John’s closest friend from his early life. Although he lives abroad, he might consider an appearance during the week – if so, apart from a talk and Q&A session, he could play a session with the Quarrymen.

Nigel Walley. One of John’s original group of friends, who John appointed as manager of his group, the Quarrymen. Through Nigel the Quarrymen achieved their first Cavern booking.

Helen Anderson. A good friend of John’s from the art college. The person who John gave a book of his illustrations to, which she still owns.

I really like the idea of a John Lennon Convention

nufc

• One And One Is Two
    • http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nufcmichael
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:08 PM »

Why not?

didn't read the whole thing just read its a john lennon convention... why would the beatles do this? its the beatles not john lennon.
Make easy money just by searching!

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »

didn't read the whole thing just read its a john lennon convention... why would the beatles do this? its the beatles not john lennon.

Yes, and?

parist

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »

Bill,
anything new on the idea of doing something to commemorate your dear friend Stuart's 70th birthday anniversary this year?

PetSitterDeb

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 12:50:27 AM »

Huge John Lennon fan here in South Florida.  I grew up in New Jersey and a Beatles and John fan for 35 years now.  Can't make it to Liverpool but would like to know of any conventions in the US. Please e-mail here if you can.

Thanks,

PetSitterDeb :)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Re: John Lennon Convention 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »

I will soon be able to tell you of many events this year will will be celebrating John's anniversaries.

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 02:08:10 PM »

The nine guests you suggest are perfect.

Do you think you could get Thelma Pickles or Johnny Gentle as well?

How about some other Liverpool College of Art classmates from 1957-60 like Alan Swerdlow or Pete Mackey?

What about John's Hamburg friends: Astrid, Klaus and Jurgen and Horst?

By the way, I'd pay up to $100. to sit around a lunch or breakfast table for an hour or 90 minutes, with ten other fans, and be part of a semi-private conversation, with any of those John Lennon contemporaries.

Anybody else feel the same?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:49:45 AM by Ligger »

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »

By the way, I'd pay up to $100. to sit around a lunch or breakfast table for an hour or 90 minutes, with ten other fans, and be part of a semi-private conversation, with any of those John Lennon contemporaries.

Anybody else feel the same?

I feel the same. If I could make it to Liverpool in autumn, I would like to meet John`s friends who would tell us something about John. Certainly there`s nothing new but some personal observations and just speaking about him would be great! Don`t mind paying for the "table".

Bobber

Re: John Lennon Convention 2010 + Other Celebrations
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »

Something different for the anniversary of John's 70th birthday:

LENNON RELEASES BEGIN: Wednesday's announcement of the John Lennon Singles Box is one of special edition releases this year to honor what would have been Lennon's 70th birthday. The special editions were first announced when Yoko appeared at the NAMM convention in Anaheim. Additionally, we've already mentioned the "Double Fantasy" unplugged project, which is already being anticipated.

From examiner.com

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:56:59 AM by Bobber »

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »

I absolutely can`t understand why Yoko is there? There should be only Lennon`s singles. This is a deceit. Let her print her own singles and see who would buy them.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 12:08:58 AM »

Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne to land in Liverpool to mark John Lennon’s 70th birthday

THE Osbournes are planning to come to Liverpool to mark former Beatle John Lennon’s 70th birthday.

Rock legend Ozzy and wife Sharon were invited to the city to celebrate October 9, which would have been the late musician’s landmark birthday.

The Black Sabbath frontman is a massive Beatles fan and received an invitation from Liverpool’s Lord Mayor, Cllr Mike Storey.

Former X Factor judge Sharon revealed all about their planned visit on Merseyside DJ Pete Price’s show on Radio City yesterday.

ECHO columnist Pete, 64, said: “I was doing a feature with [former Culture Company director] Kris Donaldson live from Australia when my phone rang and it was Sharon. I told Kris ‘I have to take this call’.

“She was promoting her book Revenge but she had laryngitis so she was forced to cancel some of her interviews. I was flabbergasted to hear from her.

“She said she is coming to Liverpool and it is something to do with what would have been John Lennon’s 70th birthday.

“Ozzy is a huge John Lennon fan. I imagine he will want to see all the sights and maybe stay in the John Lennon suite at the Hard Days Night Hotel. Can you imagine everyone seeing Ozzy walking down Mathew Street – they would think he was a lookalike.”

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »

I absolutely can`t understand why Yoko is there? There should be only Lennon`s singles. This is a deceit. Let her print her own singles and see who would buy them.

These were the original A side/b side combinations. No deciet - this is what Lennon was doing at the time. Like it or not John put Yoko's songs on there - she's merely doing what he did. If she changed them she'd be accused of revisionism or some such.
Lennon chose to make himself unseperable from Yoko, both as a person (we should call them Joko) and as an artist. This is the true nature of the genius you venerate. Yoko is merely reinforcing a fact, not creating an invention.  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:56:34 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 03:01:13 PM »

This is a neat idea, but I'm a little disappointed there are only three singles in the bag. I wonder how much this would cost?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.744 seconds with 77 queries.