Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Big John Lennon CD news - solo remasters  (Read 8190 times)

TJ

• One And One Is Two
Big John Lennon CD news - solo remasters
« on: June 29, 2010, 06:07:12 PM »

Just announced today that remastered versions of each of Lennon's solo albums will be released in October, along with two collector's box sets and a solo album.
 http://www.classicpopicons.com/john-lennon-solo-albums-remastered/

This sounds excellent to me. 

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Re: Big John Lennon CD news - solo remasters
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 06:14:26 PM »

London, England – June 29, 2010 – Eight of John Lennon’s classic solo albums and other standout recordings have been digitally remastered from his original mixes for a global catalogue initiative commemorating the music legend’s 70th birthday, which falls on October 9.

Overseen by Yoko Ono, John Lennon’s “Gimme Some Truth” campaign will launch on 4 October (5 October in North America) with the worldwide release of eight remastered studio albums and several newly-compiled titles.

Double Fantasy, 1980’s GRAMMY Award winner for Album of the Year, will be presented in a newly remixed 'Stripped Down' version remixed and produced by Yoko Ono and Jack Douglas, co-producers of the original mix with John Lennon. The new stripped down version of the album comes in an expanded 2CD and digital edition pairing the new version with Lennon’s original mix, remastered.

The campaign’s other new collections include:

·        A hits compilation in two editions titled Power To The People: The Hits
·        A 4CD set of themed discs titled Gimme Some Truth
·        A deluxe 11CD collectors box with the remastered albums, rarities, and non-album singles, titled the John Lennon Signature Box

All of the remastered albums and collections will be available on CD and for download purchase from all major digital service providers

YOKO ONO said: “In this very special year, which would have seen my husband and life partner John reach the age of 70, I hope that this remastering / reissue programme will help bring his incredible music to a whole new audience. By remastering 121 tracks spanning his solo career, I hope also that those who are already familiar with John’s work will find renewed inspiration from his incredible gifts as a songwriter, musician and vocalist and from his power as a commentator on the human condition. His lyrics are as relevant today as they were when they were first written and I can think of no more apposite title for this campaign than those simple yet direct words 'Gimme Some Truth'.”

The albums have been digitally remastered from Lennon’s original mixes by Yoko Ono and a team of engineers led by Allan Rouse at EMI Music’s Abbey Road Studios in London and by George Marino at Avatar Studios in New York.  All of the remastered titles will be packaged in digisleeves with replicated original album art and booklets with photos and new liner notes by noted British music journalist Paul Du Noyer. The albums to be reissued are:

·        John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970)
·        Imagine (1971)
·        Some Time In New York City (1972)
·        Mind Games (1973)
·        Walls and Bridges (1974)
·        Rock ‘n’ Roll (1975)
·        Double Fantasy Stripped Down (2010) / Double Fantasy (1980)
·        Milk and Honey (1984)

YOKO ONO added:  “Double Fantasy Stripped Down really allows us to focus our attention on John’s amazing vocals. Technology has advanced so much that, conversely, I wanted to use new techniques to really frame these amazing songs and John's voice as simply as possible. By stripping down some of the instrumentation the power of the songs shines through with an enhanced clarity. Double Fantasy Stripped Down will be complemented by the original album in the 2CD format. It was whilst working on the new version of this album that I was hit hardest emotionally, as this was the last album John released before his passing."

Power To The People: The Hits gathers 15 of Lennon’s most popular songs, and will be available as a 15-track single-disc and digital package, and as an Experience Edition with additional content.  Both versions will be packaged in digisleeves with booklets including a new liner note essay by Du Noyer.

Gimme Some Truth, to be packaged in a slipcase with rare photos and a new liner notes essays by respected American music journalist and author, Anthony DeCurtis, presents 72 of Lennon’s solo recordings on four themed CDs:

·        ‘Roots’ – John’s rock ‘n’ roll roots and influences
·        ‘Working Class Hero’ – John’s socio-political songs
·        ‘Woman’ – John’s love songs
·         ‘Borrowed Time’ – John’s songs about life

The John Lennon Signature Box is a deluxe 11CD and digital collection of the eight remastered albums, a disc of rare and previously unreleased recordings, and an EP of Lennon’s non-album singles. The CDs will be housed in digisleeves within a deluxe box including a collectible limited edition John Lennon art print and a hardbound book featuring rare photos, artwork, collages, poetry, and new liner notes by DeCurtis.

One of the world’s most celebrated songwriters and performers of all time, John Lennon was killed at the age of 40 on December 8, 1980.  Lennon has been posthumously honoured with a Lifetime Achievement GRAMMY Award and two special BRIT Awards for Outstanding Contribution to Music, and he has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.  In 2008, Rolling Stone ranked him in the Top 5 of the magazine’s “100 Greatest Singers Of All Time” list.

In celebration of his 70th birthday on 9 October, 2010, John Lennon’s life and music will be specially feted with a variety of commemorative releases and events around the world. Please visit www.johnlennon.com for official announcements and updates.
Photo: Iain Macmillan. © Yoko Ono.
QuotesFactsComments

Tgarcia08 on 29th Jun 10:

“You go John!”
Sign in or create a free account to comment on this page. ..Store

The Beatles-Revolver: Remastered

The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: Remastered

The Beatles-The Beatles (Remastered Mono Boxset)

The Beatles-The Beatles (Remastered Stereo Boxset)
More (3).
© Apple Corps 2009 - 2010 |Site Credits |Privacy |Terms & Conditions
Created by
SapientNitro

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:15:31 AM »

What is the point of releasing Power to the People: The Hits, containing 15 of his biggest hits, when we already have the 20-song Lennon Legend, the perfect single disc set?  >:(

John Lennon is very much like Elvis Presley: one of the biggest, most legendary artists of all time, had an untimely death, and you can count on a brand new greatest hits collection being released every year or so.

The Gimme Some Truth 4CD set following the themes of John's roots, his love songs, his political songs, and his songs about life is an interesting concept for a collection, although perhaps a bit unnecessary? Well, I suppose it would be interesting to break down the Beatles' music into thematic discs (but does anybody really miss those '70s and '80s vinyl compilations Rock 'n' Roll Music, Love Songs, Ballads, or Reel Music?)

Also, if you stuffed all of John's songs from all of his studio albums, you would have 78 songs. Add the 6 or 7 single-only tracks, and you have no more than 85 songs to choose from for a 72-song compilation? Is it just me, or is that kind of pointless?  Plus, we already have the entirely useless LENNON 4CD boxed set containing MOST of, but not all of his studio material.

Is this just some way of making a point that you should just buy all of his studio albums? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Also, what exactly qualifies for this "EP of Lennon's non-album singles"? Does that include B-side "Move Over Ms. L"? If not, then this EP is also quite useless, as Lennon Legend contains all of his non-album singles, and then a lot of great album singles, and album tracks.

Oh well, at least we have new remasters, plus some "new" material in the Double Fantasy Stripped Down (perhaps I will finally go out and buy Double Fantasy on CD now). It would be nice though if we didn't have to buy that 11CD boxed set just to get that extra CD of previously unreleased material.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »

Let them release and rerelease as many times as they like, and it is our choice whether to buy or not...

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »

Let them release and rerelease as many times as they like, and it is our choice whether to buy or not...
True enough. I just feel bad for newcomers who are unaware of these things, wasting their money on 4-disc box sets or 15-track compilations.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
John's Catalog Remastered... Again
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »

This is disappointing as it was just within the last ten years that John's catalog was remastered last time. Rock 'N' Roll was only six years ago. I will be reluctant to buy these. There would have to be significant reason to re-buy these.

http://www.thebeatles.com/#/news/John_Lennon_Gimme_Some_Truth/

Yoko is under fire, as if she cares, for this. Double Fantasy Stripped Down... ??? I don't know, this is not what John wanted. He might be open to it, but I don't know how he would feel about this.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »

JOHN LENNON GIMME SOME TRUTH RELEASES FOR HIS 70TH BIRTH ANNIVERSARY

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »

I have to agree this all sounds over redundant. I got just about all there is now, but I'll probably just buy the 2 CD DF for the stripped down version, that really tweaks my curiosity.
Henry the Horse

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 12:46:53 AM »

Not too excited for this.  All these albums were remastered recently.  Don't see how they can sound any better...

I am a little interested in stripped down version of Double Fantasy. 

The drums in Double Fantasy era songs are horrible imo.  They sound so so cheesy, and really
take away from the greatness of some of those songs for me.  I would have liked John to record
those songs closer to how they were created with his Bob Marley influence(this holds more true to the M + H songs).  I can only imagine how cool
they would have sounded had they been recorded in Jamaica. An idea he did toss around. 

Some may argue, fairly, to say that John would not have wanted his albums changed or altered.
This is fair.  I disagree though.  My point is that John was always very modern, very with the times, and
ahead of them.  I believe he would have hated how dated the drums and some of the music sounded on DF, and M and H.
The songs are good, but the music added by those session players sounds very dated and very Musak like now.  The core of those songs
were just John, and his guitar getting his mojo back in bermuda.   That's where the magic is.  They were watered down in the studio.
On the other hand I think John chose to record them like that for his comeback.  He wanted a hit album for DF.  It seems like
John was always critical of his work as it aged.  I feel like he'd feel the same about the way he chose to record DF if he were alive today.
It's an interesting debate anyways.

Remember John wanted to re-record some of his Beatle hits as well.  I remember Strawberry Fields being mentioned.
I don't agree they needed to be redone but it would have been cool to see John play his Beatle songs again. 

Anyways short story long I wonder how the album will sound stripped down.  Thats the only "new" thing to look forward to on these releases.

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »

I agree with dylanjohn here. It's about the fourth or fifth time we get the same stuff again.

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 01:22:34 PM »

Not too excited for this.  All these albums were remastered recently.  Don't see how they can sound any better...

I am a little interested in stripped down version of Double Fantasy. 

The drums in Double Fantasy era songs are horrible imo.  They sound so so cheesy, and really
take away from the greatness of some of those songs for me.  I would have liked John to record
those songs closer to how they were created with his Bob Marley influence(this holds more true to the M + H songs).  I can only imagine how cool
they would have sounded had they been recorded in Jamaica. An idea he did toss around. 

Some may argue, fairly, to say that John would not have wanted his albums changed or altered.
This is fair.  I disagree though.  My point is that John was always very modern, very with the times, and
ahead of them.  I believe he would have hated how dated the drums and some of the music sounded on DF, and M and H.
The songs are good, but the music added by those session players sounds very dated and very Musak like now.  The core of those songs
were just John, and his guitar getting his mojo back in bermuda.   That's where the magic is.  They were watered down in the studio.
On the other hand I think John chose to record them like that for his comeback.  He wanted a hit album for DF.  It seems like
John was always critical of his work as it aged.  I feel like he'd feel the same about the way he chose to record DF if he were alive today.
It's an interesting debate anyways.

Remember John wanted to re-record some of his Beatle hits as well.  I remember Strawberry Fields being mentioned.
I don't agree they needed to be redone but it would have been cool to see John play his Beatle songs again. 

Anyways short story long I wonder how the album will sound stripped down.  Thats the only "new" thing to look forward to on these releases.
True, John was very modern, but somehow I just can't really see a Hip-Hop version of Woman. ;D
Henry the Horse

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »

My point is that John was always very modern, very with the times, and
ahead of them.  

I agree DF is awful. But it sounds like what it is, an insipid uninspired album made by a 40 year old bloke out of touch with the contempory music scene.
I'd agree John used to be very modern, very with the times. Maybe you can make an arguement for POB or Sometime in New York City, but for Mind Games, Walls and Bridges and Rock and Roll? ? ? ? ? A Gideon-like decline was already in evidence.
I think you're harking back for a John Lennon that simply didn't exist anymore in 1980. But no more than the Dylan who put out Blonde on Blonde, the Clapton who did Layla or the McCartney that masterminded Pepper did. By 1980 they were too old. The baton had been passed on. Da dah.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:27:55 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:32:31 AM »

It was time for Devo.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 07:58:45 AM »

It was time for Devo.

Yep. I too used to imagine a Lennon album backed by someone like Talking Heads. but the fact is he didn't. In my most generous mood I would say the SomeTime in New York City/Elephants Memory disaster still haunted him.
But the sad truth is that he went for the safe option - bland househusband songs backed by a bunch of souless super slick session men. The result is fairly predictable. This is where his head, for whatever reason (fear, lack of inspiration, middle age, bad advise) was at in 1980. Booo.
don't follow leaders

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 01:58:14 AM »

Oh I don't know, I don't think the well was all that dry in 1980 as far as the classic artists were concerned. Look at Robbie Robertson's 1986 comeback album, to me I thought that was one of the best albums of the 80s. Or John Fogerty's Centerfield in '84 and Blue Moon Swamp 15 years later, both classics. Or better yet, how about the Wilburys? Almost another Beatles, abite a more novelty approach, IMO.

Nah, I think the creative spark was always still there with these guys, it's just a matter of how much drive is involved to pull it out at certain degrees. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. John was still playing daddy at the time, and at 40, he still had plenty of time and talent brewing there that was unfortunately cut short by you-know-who.
Henry the Horse

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 02:12:06 AM »

Tug Of War was a damn good album peeps.

Anyways, I watched the New York concert a couple days ago and it was pretty awful. Kevin said it perfectly, it consisted of being lame and souless. Boring is the exact word. Could and should have been so much more.

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »

Tug Of War was a damn good album peeps.

Anyways, I watched the New York concert a couple days ago and it was pretty awful. Kevin said it perfectly, it consisted of being lame and souless. Boring is the exact word. Could and should have been so much more.
Peeps!? Alright, who are you at the Yesfans forums? Come on, let's hear it! No holding back here, ok?
Henry the Horse

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:33 PM »

Here are the artwork of the CD'S

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »

Yoko, just stop.

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:28 PM »

Thank You Euan Buchan for posting photographs of the album covers.The complete tracklisting for the remastered albums have been released now to.I am just going to cut and paste what I found online.

EMI Music has unveiled the complete tracklisting and cover art for a broad selection of remastered John Lennon albums and new collections to be released on CD and digitally on October 4th (October 5th in North America).
Featured in the sweeping initiative are eight remastered John Lennon solo albums and new titles including Double Fant...asy Stripped Down, Power To The People: The Hits, Gimme Some Truth, and the John Lennon Signature Box.
For the first time, Lennon’s classic solo albums and other standout recordings have been digitally remastered from his original mixes. The deluxe 11CD and digital John Lennon Signature Box includes 13 previously unreleased home recordings, and Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, and Julian Lennon have each written personal essays for the lavish collection.
For the full story visit
http://www.thebeatles.com/

http://www.thebeatles.com/#/news/Tracklisting_and_artwork/
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.122 seconds with 86 queries.