Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: John Lennon Plastic Ono Band  (Read 5147 times)

Wayne L.

John Lennon Plastic Ono Band
« on: March 11, 2004, 03:54:18 PM »

John Lennon Plastic Ono Band is the greatest solo album of all time by any former Beatle because it's creatively, musically, artistically & lyrically a masterpiece of epic proportions showcasing John at his finest & rawest as an artist which would make Bob Dylan blush with great tracks like Mother, I Found Out, Working Class Hero, Well Well Well & God just to name a few which I heard for the first time back in 81 even though it must have shocked Beatles fans at the time but JLPOB is the ultimate solo album by any of the former Beatles.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Crazy Diamond

Re: John Lennon Plastic Ono Band
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 04:09:06 PM »

Yeah, it's probably the best solo album ever. :)
I'm probably gonna buy it soon.

Wayne L.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 11:34:12 PM »

You will NOT be disappointed at all by John Lennon Plastic Ono Band which is the greatest solo album by any of the former Beatles.

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 08:46:13 AM »

I know I won't be disappointed. :)
I have Imagine, I love it, and I know JL/POB is even better. :)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 09:01:31 PM »

You will NOT be disappointed at all by John Lennon Plastic Ono Band which is the greatest solo album by any of the former Beatles. ]
thats waynes opinion......

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 05:05:47 PM »

I think that Band on the Run is the best work by a former beatle but that's just me

---powered by Moondogs®---

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 01:12:59 AM »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 01:15:07 AM »

Various Artists - 'John Lennons' Jukebox'
Release: 8th March
Check out the South Bank Show article here Back to SPIN

"A few years ago a portable jukebox was discovered which belonged to John Lennon in the 1960s.

The jukebox contained some 40 records - Soul, R&B and Rock & Roll - written in Lennon's own handwriting. These are the songs which shaped Lennon's musical education and they reveal many of the original sources of inspiration for his later songwriting.
For example The Isley Brothers whose screaming vocal style The Beatles copied on 'Twist & Shout', American R&B singer Ritchie Barrett who sang the original 'Some Other Guy', blues guitarist Bobby Parker whose guitar lick The Beatles borrowed for 'I Feel Fine, Delbert McClinton who influenced Lennon's harmonica playing on 'Love Me Do' and Donovan who taught Lennon folk guitar style in India.

Now this fascinating discovery is the subject of a South Bank Show (to be screened on 14th March ) and this brilliant double album. The documentary and album also feature Little Richard, Fontella Bass, John Sebastian of The Lovin' Spoonful, Steve Cropper of Booker T & The Mgs and legendary songwriters Leiber & Stoller.

Add Smokey Robinson (Tracks of My Tears/ The Only One I Love/ I've Been Good to You

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 01:18:33 AM »

The late Doris Troy was one of the most talented soul singers of the Sixties who has many fans, not only among the global Soul and Northern Soul scenes, but also via her connections with members of The Beatles. In 1970 she recorded this self titled album for Apple with assistance from an all-star cast including George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Peter Frampton, Stephen Stills, Eric Clapton, Leon Russell, Jackie Lomax and Delaney & Bonnie. Doris, as ever, is in great voice, with tracks ranging from beefy rock-y soul to emotional, slower tunes. The album was produced by Doris, George Harrison and Stephen Stills.

The CD includes five tracks that were not on the original album vinyl taken from non-LP singles and outtakes. Track List:
1. Ain't That Cute (Harrison/Troy) - 3:52
2. Special Care (Stills) - 2:57
3. Give Me Back My Dynamite (Harrison/Troy) - 4:54
4. You Tore Me up Inside (Schinnery/Troy) - 2:27
5. Games People Play (South) - 3:04
6. Gonna Get My Baby Back (Harrison/Starr/Stills/Troy) - 2:17
7. I've Got to Be Strong (Lomax/Troy) - 2:34
8. Hurry (Carroll/Troy) - 3:10
9. So Far (Troy/Voormann) - 4:25
10. Exactly Like You (Fields/McHugh) - 3:06
11. You Give Me Joy Joy (Harrison/Starr/Stills/Troy) - 3:38
12. Don't Call Me No More (Schinnery/Troy) - 2:05
13. Jacob's Ladder (Traditional) - 2:57

Bonus Tracks:
14. All That I've Got (Preston/Troy) - 3:55
15. Get Back (Lennon/McCartney) - 3:06
16. Dearest Darling (Troy) - 2:50
17. What You Will Blues (Troy) - 4:57
18. Vaya con Dios (James/Pepper/Russell) - 3:29

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 03:30:39 PM »

I just bought it. :D

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 09:41:10 PM »

which one??????doris?
reveiw it for us....in print

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 09:42:18 PM »

there were two plastic ono bands tho.....which line up was better????the one with ringo no doubt....

daveman_84

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 01:47:45 AM »

[quote by=Wayne_L. link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1079020458,s=0 date=1079020458]John Lennon Plastic Ono Band is the greatest solo album of all time by any former Beatle because it's creatively, musically, artistically & lyrically a masterpiece of epic proportions showcasing John at his finest & rawest as an artist which would make Bob Dylan blush with great tracks like Mother, I Found Out, Working Class Hero, Well Well Well & God just to name a few which I heard for the first time back in 81 even though it must have shocked Beatles fans at the time but JLPOB is the ultimate solo album by any of the former Beatles. [/quote]

Well said but I DON'T think it would make Bobby Boy Dylan blush ;)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 05:26:39 PM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1079020458,s=7 date=1079486107]Various Artists - 'John Lennons' Jukebox'
Release: 8th March[/quote]

I bought this while I was in the States! It's a great album but the version of Some Other Guy by the Big Three is one of those awful re-makes from the Seventies - dreadful! That's my ONLY complaint though - the rest of the album contains only original versions.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 01:53:35 AM »

the big three became the searchers for those keeping score...big liverpool band.

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 06:37:49 PM »

Big member, The big three did not become the Searchers after breaking up the band. John Gustafson and Brian Griffiths formed the Seniors later on and then dispanded again when John Gustafson joined the Merseybeats. Brian Griffiths did session work before immigrating to Canada and John Gustafson when on to numerous bands including Roxy Music and Ian Gillan. It's a pity the Big Three original did not make the record as it blows the doors off any other version with an incredible guitar solo.

Wayne L.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 03:44:07 PM »

I think most Beatles fans would agree with me that JLPOB is probably the greatest solo album by a former Beatle pc31. 

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2004, 03:11:29 PM »

I'll never forget the first time I heard PLASTIC ONO BAND in 1978. I was just this 16-year-old teenager who had his depressions and problems. When I put this record on for the first time I was blown away! It was as though John related to everyhting I was feeling, all that pain. I've never had such an experience before or since.

I always recommend this work of art to anyone who's depressed or needs someone to understand. It's not the type of music you enjoy when you're "up".

Runforyourlife

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 02:01:00 AM »

I think POB is most definitely my favorite solo Beatle album of all of them. There are certainly strong contenders, particularly in the John/George department, but POB wins hands down.

I really think POB is one of the greatest albums ever made, no matter who made it. Its like a whole different kind of thing, and at the time that it was made it was unbelivably groundbreaking. Its still sounds so fresh, and he really opened himself up there.

I kind of think it was one of the first, if not the first, records where the listener was sort of forced into understanding the history of the artist, in order to completely grasp the meaning and power of these songs. That's really amazing.

Wonderwall

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 07:13:01 AM »

As far as messages and politics its a great album but melody wise it's not his best. Mother is my favorite track.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 69 queries.