Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Behind the scenes - John meeting other celebs  (Read 4109 times)

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
Behind the scenes - John meeting other celebs
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:03:40 AM »

Does anybody know/read something about John meeting other celebs?
There are pics with John and for example Matt Dillon or Peter Lawford....does anyone know more about it?

Michael Caine and John Lennon actually met in Cannes somewhere in the mid 60s.
I read Michael Caines Biography - which is very funny, by the way - and this is what he tells:

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: Behind the scenes - John meeting other celebs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 11:41:26 AM »

That's a fantastic story!!! Never heard that before, thanks Kate ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 03:32:20 PM »

haha wow i love that story!! never heard before either....dont forget the beatles met mohamed ali in 64 (?) and then john lennon did again in 77.

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:08:30 PM »

yeah, they met a lot of them....but I would like to know some background stories, especially of John meeting others....anyone?  :)

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 09:57:27 PM »

May Pang said that John was just as starstruck as most people, and got excited at events where there were other celebs. She said that's why (she thinks) he never minded signing autographs because he was a fan as well as a star.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 11:59:43 PM »

Quote from: lennonlegend
haha wow i love that story!! never heard before either....dont forget the beatles met mohamed ali in 64 (?) and then john lennon did again in 77.

From the Jimmy Carter Inaugural Gala.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 10:27:21 AM »

yep thats the one..thanks.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 04:18:53 PM »

I like the story of how John always was infatuated with Brigitte Bardot, and a dinner for the two was arranged, but he dropped some pretty potend Acid beforehand and couldn't speak the whole time.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 07:33:08 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
I like the story of how John always was infatuated with Brigitte Bardot, and a dinner for the two was arranged, but he dropped some pretty potend Acid beforehand and couldn't speak the whole time.

The story's here at Bill Harry's site: http://www.triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/beatles/bardot.shtml

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 11:44:31 AM »

This is how Donavan remebers John. "there's a good guru"  - I like that ;D

Donovan:
"Here's a nice story that comes to mind concerning my time with the Beatles. It was 1968 in India, we were all gathered together in the Maharishi's bungalow, four Beatles, one Beach Boy, Mia Farrow and me.
Maharishi was on the floor sitting cross-legged, but the rest of us were all still standing around as we'd just arrived. Anyway there was a kind of embarrassed hush in the room and John Lennon (always the funny one)
decided to break the silence so he walked up to the Maharishi, patted him on the head and quietly said, 'There's a good guru.' John certainly had a wicked tongue all right, but he was honest to a fault. Therefore, many people often considered him to be very hard and forward. Actually, that's how he protected his sensitivities, by saying exactly what he felt. As far as I'm concerned, he ranks up there with Kennedy, Martin Luther King and
Gandhi as a figure for peace in the world."

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 11:48:06 AM »

Thanks Kate - that absolutely cracked me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 02:33:45 AM »

I used to have a picture of John with Joan Baez, but I don't know what happened to it.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 06:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
I used to have a picture of John with Joan Baez, but I don't know what happened to it.

Did you mean this one?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 12:55:47 AM »

Hey, good on you, Kate!

Wayne L.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 08:05:34 PM »

I remember seeing that picture of John & Yoko with Muhammad Ali a long time ago & the only smart thing Jimmy Carter ever did was inviting them to his inaugural.  

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 03:09:43 PM »

David Bowie's fond memories of John Lennon (Thanks, AdamD)
http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-lennon/m-1082872992/

It's impossible for me to talk about popular music without mentioning probably my greatest mentor, John Lennon. I guess he defined for me, at any rate, how one could twist and turn the fabric of pop and imbue it with elements from other artforms, often producing something extremely beautiful, very powerful and imbued with strangeness. Also, uninvited, John would wax on endlessly about any topic under the sun and was over-endowed with opinions. I immediately felt empathy with that. Whenever the two of us got together it started to resemble Beavis and Butthead on "Crossfire."

The seductive thing about John was his sense of humor. Surrealistically enough, we were first introduced in about 1974 by Elizabeth Taylor. Miss Taylor had been trying to get me to make a movie with her. It involved going to Russia and wearing something red, gold and diaphanous. Not terribly encouraging, really. I can't remember what it was called -- it wasn't On the Waterfront, anyway, I know that.

We were in LA, and one night she had a party to which both John and I had been invited. I think we were polite with each other, in that kind of older-younger way. Although there were only a few years between us, in rock and roll that's a generation, you know? Oh boy, is it ever.

So John was sort of [in Liverpool accent] "Oh, here comes another new one." And I was sort of, "It's John Lennon! I don't know what to say. Don't mention the Beatles, you'll look really stupid."

And he said, "Hello, Dave." And I said, "I've got everything you've made -- except the Beatles."

A couple of nights later we found ourselves backstage at the Grammys where I had to present "the thing" to Aretha Franklin. Before the show I'd been telling John that I didn't think America really got what I did, that I was misunderstood. Remember that I was in my 20s and out of my head.

So the big moment came and I ripped open the envelope and announced, "The winner is Aretha Franklin." Aretha steps forward, and with not so much as a glance in my direction, snatches the trophy out of my hands and says, "Thank you everybody. I'm so happy I could even kiss David Bowie." Which she didn't! And she promptly spun around swanned off stage right. So I slunk off stage left.

And John bounds over and gives me a theatrical kiss and a hug and says "See, Dave. America loves ya."

We pretty much got on like a house on fire after that.

He once famously described glam rock as just rock and roll with lipstick on. He was wrong of course, but it was very funny.

Towards the end of the 70s, a group of us went off to Hong Kong on a holiday and John was in, sort of, house-husband mode and wanted to show Sean the world. And during one of our expeditions on the back streets a kid comes running up to him and says, "Are you John Lennon?" And he said, "No but I wish I had his money." Which I promptly stole for myself.

[imitating a fan] "Are you David Bowie?"

No, but I wish I had his money.

It's brilliant. It was such a wonderful thing to say. The kid said, "Oh, sorry. Of course you aren't," and ran off. I thought, "This is the most effective device I've heard."

I was back in New York a couple of months later in Soho, downtown, and a voice pipes up in my ear, "Are you David Bowie?" And I said, "No, but I wish I had his money."

"You lying bastard. You wish you had my money." It was John Lennon.

from David Bowie's speech to Berklee College of Music's Class of 1999, delivered at the Hynes Convention Center, Boston, 8 May 1999

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 01:32:38 AM »

Awww, that's really nice. <3 Bowie.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 11:19:19 PM »

haha, the man with no lips. thats awesome
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 11:57:04 AM »

I love that story Raxo, thanks for posting :)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »

Another brief moment with Bowie (tho Paul was there too) ...

"1973

McCartney is busted for growing marijuana on his farm in Scotland. He is fined the equivalent of $240.

McCartney visits John Lennon and Harry Nilsson, who are living together in L.A. while Lennon produces Nilsson
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 73 queries.