Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The John Lennon Wall (Prague)  (Read 5651 times)

Dante

• One And One Is Two
The John Lennon Wall (Prague)
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:05:29 AM »

I'm sorry if there's another thread for this already, but I just wanted to know your views on this.

''The John Lennon Wall in Prague''

I was in Prague last summer and I searched my ass off to find this wall. When we asked some local people where the wall was, they couldn't give the answer. After a long search we finally found it and I must say it was rather dissapointing. It was just a wall full off crappy graffity, with people smoking weed in front of it. It was nice to see a tribute like this, but it wasn't that special.

What do you people think?

blackmath

• A Beginning
Re: The John Lennon Wall (Prague)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:23:21 AM »

it looks quite ugly. i'm sorry you searched so hard to find it.

colleengirl95

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:26:01 AM »

It looks uhm.. a little ugly, no offense
[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums

Dante

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »

Quote from: 706
it looks quite ugly. i'm sorry you searched so hard to find it.

Ah well, it was nice to see ofcourse, but after being there for 5 minutes it already bored me. But for people who go to Prague, I'd recommend to visit the St. Vitus Cathedral or the Old City instead of this wall full of paint with mentally deranged, sociopathic bud smokers sitting in front of it and praying to John Lennon like he's bigger than Jezus.

It has a nice symbolic value though, since Czech students kept overspraying the wall to demonstrate against the communist regime of Gustav Husak.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »

Well... the fact that it's aesthetically ugly is beside the point: it's a place where people expressed their opposition to a brutal political regime and their preference for another attitude toward life, however vague and incoherent their thinking on either subject may have been. As you say it's got symbolic value, and the guy who wrote "coexist" is onto something.  :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:19:59 PM »

Why should we visit this wall in Prague? It has nothing to do with The Fabs. I wonder who told you about it? Let`s then make a wall in some village and admire it cause it has some words related to the Beatles. To me it`s only the places the guys lived in, worked at and that have some relation to them that do matter. I believe the genuine wall is in Abbey Road with marks and signs and signatures on it, isn`t it? What do the British think?

Dante

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »

Why should we visit this wall in Prague?

Because you are a fan of John Lennon. If you're not, then why you're posting here?

It has nothing to do with The Fabs.

Wasn't John Lennon one of them?

I wonder who told you about it?

I read it in a tourist guide. I looked quite spectacular, but the opposite was true.

Let`s then make a wall in some village and admire it cause it has some words related to the Beatles.

It has to do with much more than only The Beatles. Learn some history.

To me it`s only the places the guys lived in, worked at and that have some relation to them that do matter.

Yeah, you can say the same for Liverpool.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »

Why you`re posting here? Learn some English. Your grammar is wrong and your manner leaves much to be desired.

You write as if you don`t understand what you`re writing. You looked quite spectacular? How`s that? But, congratulations! Oh! You looked the opposite??? Sorry!

In fact, i would advise you not to give offensive instructions to people. This is a fabulous forum, and to write such things as " then why are you posting here?" is showing your disrespect to the others. Very rude.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:54:11 PM »

Besides, in my comment i didn`t say a word about what you should do or not do. I just asked, "Why should we visit it?" John had nothing to do with the communists and to use his image against them is ridiculous. Communists themselves adored him and printed the Beatles albums in their countries. And if somebody feels like visiting the wall it`s up to them.

Dante

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:03:31 PM »

Why you`re posting here? Learn some English.

That was actually correct.

You write as if you don`t understand what you`re writing. You looked quite spectacular? How`s that? But, congratulations! Oh! You looked the opposite??? Sorry!

My grammar might not be that good, and yes, even I make spelling mistakes. English is not my primary language and I'm only 17, whilst you're probably 20 years older or so.

In fact, i would advise you not to give offensive instructions to people. This is a fabulous forum, and to write such things as " then why are you posting here?" is showing your disrespect to the others. Very rude.

I agree.

Quote from: 1393
Besides, in my comment i didn`t say a word about what you should do or not do. I just asked, "Why should we visit it?" John had nothing to do with the communists and to use his image against them is ridiculous. Communists themselves adored him and printed the Beatles albums in their countries. And if somebody feels like visiting the wall it`s up to them.

Why should we visit it? I never said you should visit it. I just asked what your opinion was on this wall.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:24:18 PM »

The question : Why are you posting here? is correct. Your sentence is not. English is not my first language, either. Since you can`t be sure of a person`s age you are to be careful when addressing people interface-to-interface. They might not be your peers and they are all so different. I may be older, and you may not be 17. My question is only a question, i didn`t mean that you insist on visiting.
But I think everything has been cleared up and made up. So, it`s ok.

Dante

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 08:28:29 PM »

Quote from: 1393
The question : Why are you posting here? is correct. Your sentence is not. English is not my first language, either. Since you can`t be sure of a person`s age you are to be careful when addressing people interface-to-interface. They might not be your peers and they are all so different. I may be older, and you may not be 17. My question is only a question, i didn`t mean that you insist on visiting.
But I think everything has been cleared up and made up. So, it`s ok.

''Because you are a fan of John Lennon. If you're not, then why you're posting here?''

^^ I don't see what's wrong with that, grammatically.

I admit I was a little rude and I apologize. Peace.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »

In a question the auxiliary verb comes before the subject and then comes the main verb. The aux. verb is "to be", so Why - are - you - posting ? In a reported question the word order is direct. For example: I ask you, why you are posting here. Your sentence is not a reported question, though it comes after a comma, so the word order should be indirect.
Accepted. I also apologize. Peace.

thefadedline

• A Beginning
  • I'm an idler's dream
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »

This is not an English lesson. So, let's get back on topic, shall we?!

I think that wall does indeed look ugly and would not bother searching hard to see it. There are John Lennon tributes the world over; 99% of which are attractive to the eyes. It's nice that it's there but it's hardly spectacular.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »

Yes, I think I would have been a bit disappointed also if I had gone searching for it (thinking it would have alot to do with John).  But what it stands for is great.  Oh well!  

Oh, am I blind? Because I don't even see John's name or anything about him on there?
<br />

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »

I think it's kinda cool looking actually

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »

I think the reason I would have been disappointed also is because I see that everyday in my neighborhood.  I think if you are set out to see something that you are under the impression is a mural for John Lennon and you end up seeing that, you would more than likely be disappointed.
<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:06:51 PM »

Quote from: 1204
I think the reason I would have been disappointed also is because I see that everyday in my neighborhood.  I think if you are set out to see something that you are under the impression is a mural for John Lennon and you end up seeing that, you would more than likely be disappointed.

I saw this a few years ago, also learned about it from a travel brochure.

It wasn't too different then, my memory is that it wasn't quite so grafitti-ized, and that there may even have been a pic of John drawn on there, or perhaps the word "Imagine" or something.

Saw it, crossed it off my list, and moved on. To be honest, and don't get me wrong please, I am a FAN, I wasn't even that moved by the Lennon thingy in Central Park.

So I guess if the boys touched it, or lived there, or walked the streets, I'm impressed. Like having a beer at Ye Cracke in Liverpool, that was surreal. Otherwise, it's not the same for me.

But I like the sentiment!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 12:15:13 AM »

Quote from: 1204

That's true, I see stuff like that but it never says "Coexist" or anything, its usually just mindless 'tagging' that doesn't look like anything. But to me that wall kind of looks like modern art. I like it

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 02:04:46 AM »

Could this be the same wall?  I would post the picture but it is not mine, I saw it on Flickr so please click on the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/midnight_angel/2584423774/in/set-72157605646783625/
<br />
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 79 queries.