Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Article re: declining talent  (Read 1734 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Article re: declining talent
« on: September 04, 2021, 10:15:34 PM »

I thought this was a very interesting article about how artists' creative powers can decline as they age.  Paul McCartney is referenced here.  It's a good read, IMO.

https://news.yahoo.com/rock-fans-dont-want-admit-103712304.html
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Article re: declining talent
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 12:53:15 AM »

I thought this was a very interesting article about how artists' creative powers can decline as they age.  Paul McCartney is referenced here.  It's a good read, IMO.

https://news.yahoo.com/rock-fans-dont-want-admit-103712304.html

Ive been saying this for years. These clever songwriters lose their mojo after about late 30's, you could add Neil Young to that list.
I put it down to changes in lifestyle, wealth, ego. Maybe when you live the life of a multi multi millionaire you lose your perspective, you worry more about tax evasion, managers ripping you off, which 150 acre mansion/ranch/exotic car to buy next ?
I was reading about Ringo's many mansions and properties recently, not bad for a drummer.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 04:38:33 PM »

Interesting article. I think maybe a lot of the declining talent may have to merely do with running out of good ideas? Paul for example has been writing songs for about 65 years. Bound to run out of ideas. Plus, as people get older, they're not quite as sharp as they used to be. And I don't think this is necessarily only applicable to rock music. For example, Michael Jackson was a pop artist (and the other musical love of my life, right behind the Beatles). And his songs near the end of his life were nowhere near as good as the Thriller and Bad albums etc.

I bet Paul will be the last alive of the bunch. It just seems to be his way. The last one to hold on (along with Keith Richards of course lol!). Crazy how Paul will be 80 this year.

I pray that all these people will "live on in our hearts" so to speak and be passed down to other generations forever. I always have thought they would, but in recent years, I've been worried about that though. I bet if I mentioned the Beatles to my 11 year old nephew, he would have never even heard the word before. And my nieces are 16 and 18 years old and I've heard what they listen to and it is complete garbage! I'm 30, so pretty young, but honestly I could not name a single modern song. Not one. And when my nieces were much younger, say maybe 7 and 5 years old, I of course introduced them to the Beatles, and they often requested "the funny Beatles movie" when they came over (which was Help!). I wish they had held on to the Beatles interest, but at least they know something about them (now I'm working on "brainwashing" my husband, for lack of a better word, to love the Beatles and definitely will have Beatlemaniac kids someday I hope!).

I'm afraid the twentieth century was the golden age of music in history (maybe along with the days of Mozart and Beethoven etc.) and we may never get that back. I feel blessed to have experienced it and been alive around this time.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe when we hit the 100-year anniversary of some Beatles event, the kids will "wake up" and maybe a spark will revive everything. I remember in 2009 there was a spark when the remastered CDs came out and the Beatles Rock Band game. I saw Beatles school supplies and stuff in the normal stores (what a treat that was for me!). Plus around that time, the songs were added to iTunes, and I know younger people in particular prefer this convenience.

I really wish Paul could write another Eleanor Rigby, or a Yesterday, or a You Never Give Me Your Money. Even another She Loves You. But I don't think it could ever happen. Although I do adore the song Come on to Me, and that is a recent song. But it's not a legend. Sorry, now I'm just rambling.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 04:41:20 PM by Beatlemaniac64 »
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 10:59:27 PM »

I thought 'Too Much Rain' was the best song he's written in years and that was in 2005. 

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 48 queries.