Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jack Dougls/Double Fantasy magazine articles  (Read 6047 times)

jjs

• A Beginning
Jack Dougls/Double Fantasy magazine articles
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:24:59 PM »

Hi everyone

I'm looking for any articles and/or info pertaining to Yoko suing Jack Douglas (or vice versa) over royalties for Double Fantasy.

From what I remember, for some reason Yoko didn't pay or refused to pay Jack his due royalties. Later on, she apparently tried to use her media machine to discredit him (like she did with Fred Seaman) however, this failed. She tried to claim Jack stole things from John, and was a nobody trying to exploit Lennon, even though he was a well known and successful record producer, having produced bands like Aerosmith.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Jack Dougls/Double Fantasy magazine articles
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 10:56:23 PM »

Interview with Jack Douglas here, from Beatlefan:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.music.beatles/2005-12/msg00250.html

Interesting for a number of reasons, really.  :)

Short NYT article on the outcome of the lawsuit here:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F00E0D91F39F930A35757C0A962948260

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 03:56:26 AM »

Quote from: 1161

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.music.beatles/2005-12/msg00250.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F00E0D91F39F930A35757C0A962948260

Yes, this was the article I was looking for. Thanks so much.

It makes one wonder, really...  

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:56:33 AM »

Cool articles; I've never read these before.  Thanks for sharing!

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:37:29 AM »

Very interesting. Thanks Geoff.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »

I've never read that before , thanks Geoff for posting it , it's a really interesting read .

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 12:27:50 AM »

You're welcome, and I wonder if any of the session musicians on Double Fantasy have ever said anything about working with John on that record: theirs would be interesting outsiders' perspectives on John (and Yoko) in 1980 and- perhaps- useful supplements or maybe correctives to the official line John gave in his interviews that year.  :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »

You're welcome, and I wonder if any of the session musicians on Double Fantasy have ever said anything about working with John on that record: theirs would be interesting outsiders' perspectives on John (and Yoko) in 1980 and- perhaps- useful supplements or maybe correctives to the official line John gave in his interviews that year.  :)

I've often wondered why those musicians have never spoken out more about their time with Lennon in 1980. The good side of me would like to think that they're honouring his memory by not profiting from his death. Of course, the cynical me thinks that Yoko has probably paid them all off to keep her version of the Lennon myth alive!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »

Quote from: 483

I've often wondered why those musicians have never spoken out more about their time with Lennon in 1980. The good side of me would like to think that they're honouring his memory by not profiting from his death. Of course, the cynical me thinks that Yoko has probably paid them all off to keep her version of the Lennon myth alive!

I hadn't thought of that angle, but as a longstanding (and frequently backsliding) member of Cynics Anonymous, I find the thought shall we say intriguing.  ;D

On the other hand, with a worshipful rock press safely on board for the myth, I wonder if anybody's even bothered to ask those people some questions. Here's a great example of the sort of thing I mean, which I stumbled upon this morning;

http://www.chrishunt.biz/features26.html

It's not a bad article; it's just entirely conventional and familiar in its approach.  :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 01:51:58 PM »

Hmm, quite interesting! I'm in the pay-off camp. Yoko is a savvy business woman, and she makes her living by exploiting her fabricated image of John. I consider Julian, May, and Cynthia's accounts reliable regarding some of her tricks. She also has squashed Paul's ideas on a number of occasions. And let's not forget her lawsuit trying to prevent singer Lennon Murphy from using her own name. She's always been canny about her meal ticket. As long as she's the grieving widow, her income is assured. Sorry to be so cynical about her, but I definitely am.

Thanks for the links, Geoff!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 02:06:43 PM »

Another interesting read. Will we ever fully understand Yoko's ways?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »

Quote from: 551
And let's not forget her lawsuit trying to prevent singer Lennon Murphy from using her own name.

(bigeyes1)

I hadn't heard about that one. I think I'm going to tear up that Cynics Anonymous card and just go back to being my old surly self. (smoking1)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »

Quote from: 63
Will we ever fully understand Yoko's ways?

I doubt it myself, but clues abound:  ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »

Thanks Geoff , i enjoyed reading that artical too.
I'm so glad John got out of the Dakota in the last few months of his life , and had a bloody good adventure .
When i was reading it  , i thought there's a great film here ? (smile)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »

Wow, really great interview, thanks Geoff!

A few random things that really caught my attention:

1) "John had really small hands, so he really couldn't play lead on guitar ...". What a great little factoid!!

2) "John would double track his voice incessantly ..." . That really caught my eye. In the early to mid-60's John, as much as he hated his voice single tracked, really hated going through the effort it took to double a voice live. So when Geoff Emerick (? or Norman Smith?) invented ADT (automatic double track), John went bezerko on it - he never had to double track again! So, fast forward 15 years, he could have used ADT or it's shiniest new iteration to do his double tracks, but NO ... he was doing it "manually", the old fashioned way! And, according to this Jack Douglas guy getting interviewed, with absolutely amazing skill. John ... he was good.

3) That piano intro to "Watching the Wheels Go By" - made up by John while doodling. IMO, one of the best parts of the song, or of the album. The boy still had IT  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »

yoko surely has her ways of manipulating things. great articles thanks for that.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »

I doubt it myself, but clues abound:  ;D

^^^^^^^Oh Geoff!!!!  That picture is tooooooo funny!!!!!!!  

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 04:57:05 AM »

Quote from: 568
3) That piano intro to "Watching the Wheels Go By" - made up by John while doodling. IMO, one of the best parts of the song, or of the album. The boy still had IT  :)

"Watching The Wheels" and "Nobody Told Me" - unfinished though it is - are my two favorite tracks from John's 1980 sessions.  :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 01:06:44 PM »

Quote from: 568
1) "John had really small hands, so he really couldn't play lead on guitar ...". What a great little factoid!!
That is a cool fact. We had this terrific guitarist in high school-- best I've ever heard live. He had some strange physical peculiarity where his pinkie finger was as big as his third finger -- we called him "Phil the Phingers". He could hit notes that nobody could hit because he had that fantastic reach. He would have had a great career, I'm convinced-- but the drugs got him. *mourns*

I also noticed that thing about double-tracking live-- interesting. It seems that John either reverted, or perhaps always was, very team-oriented in the studio. "Left his ego at the door"-- which one would consider a challenge for John, as he had more personality than the average bear. But-- correct me if I'm wrong-- people always seemed to enjoy working with John, so I think this was a trademark of his working method. Get it done professionally in the studio, and save the biting commentary for "free time".

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 06:33:01 PM »

In one of my Bowie books harihead David said John was a pleasure to work with during the "Young American" sessions (smile)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 83 queries.