Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: It All Began in Hamburg  (Read 610 times)

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
It All Began in Hamburg
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:59:18 AM »

Uncut.uk
It All Began in Hamburg
March 2012

I went to the Star-Club once, but I didn’t see The Beatles. They'd long since left the building, playing their last residency there 50 years ago, in 1962.
By the time I fetched up on Hamburg's Reeperbahn, that legendary strip where The Beatles and many more like them served their rock'n'roll apprenticeships, the Star-Club itself was also a place of fond memory. It was by then a sex club, called The Salambo.This was May 1978. I was in Germany on assignment for what used to be Melody Maker. My mission, as it was explained to me, was to "take the temperature of the German rock scene". To this end, I get in touch with a jovial soul named Teddy Meier, European Artist Development Manager for Chrysalis Records. Teddy has an office on Feldbrunnenstrasse. I tell him I can be there in half an hour, but Teddy's having none of it. He’ll come to me. "At once!" he adds with high-pitched urgency. Not long after this, Teddy’s on his third or fourth huge stein of a powerful local brew, quaffing for the fatherland from a glass so heavy he has to hoist it from the table in a double-handed grip, like a Viking.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/magazine/march-2012
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon

Page created in 3.953 seconds with 38 queries.