Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?  (Read 17378 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:25:04 AM »

I saw this on Fox News Chicago. This Neil Steinberg has never seen Paul McCartney in concert. So, who is he to say that Paul is too old to perform?!  Email your comments to him: nsteinberg@suntimes.com

Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?
Updated: Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010, 9:58 PM CST
Published : Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010, 9:47 PM CST

FOX Chicago News

Paul McCartney performed last weekend on "Saturday Night Live" and there's been some chat about how he looked and sounded.

He's 68 years old... and we all know age does things to your body.

But after this show, some people are saying McCartney is too old to be doing this. We talked about it live with Neil Steinberg of the Sun-Times.

Watch this and then reply:
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/paul-mccartney-perform-saturday-night-live-beatles-too-old-20101214

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
Re: Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 04:49:07 AM »

neil steinberg = idiot jerk
SHUT UP ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
you're out of line
this guy had the nerve to say paul should have stayed home and given new groups a chance ?!?!?!?!?!
paul's appearance was great !
-
-
-
btw, i heard paul really did great at the apollo the other night
-
(also, i think paul is making appearances because itunes and the beatles and christmas)
-
honestly, paul did hit a few off notes but his bass playing was awesome and he got better with each song
definitely entertained to the maximum !
WHAT A HATER

nimrod

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:23:40 AM »

Just another hack after publicity IMO, was he promoting a book or something ?

I hope Paul doesnt see that and take it to heart.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »

Funny thing is that 'old' people performing popsongs is a new thing. Paul is a first generation popmusician, so therefore it is not seen before. In jazz, musicians are respected more and more as they get older and still perform. Obviously there's some doubt if the same thing should apply to popmusic. In my opinion, it should.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:04:17 PM »

Despite his age, Paul's still popular enough to fill football stadiums around the world, he can easily play two hour shows and sound excellent throughout and apparently he still enjoys doing it. Since there aren't a whole lot of musicians on this planet who can claim these same three things, I'd say that he's still one of the most relevant performers on earth.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »

His Voice is too old... ;sorry

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »

If this SOB is going to complain about Paul performing at his age, then he'll be wining about Ringo, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Bob Dylan, and Robert Plant, etc. performing because of their ages. They are doing just fine, thank you, Mr.Steinberg!

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »

i am the first to admit that pauls' voice is not what it once was,but for his age the man is absolutely awesome.awsome.the band,the songs,everything points at pauls' show being one of the best on the planet.if you don't like him,think he's too old,think his voice is shot,then fine.let people say what they like.....ticket sales for the shows point to a different view.i saw the great man in 2004.i missed the first two songs as i was in tears.the gig was the very best i have ever seen.well done paul,long may you run. ;)
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »

If he isnt to old, its getting damn close. He's old enough now that people are going to see him just so they can get it in before he dies. His voice is shot and i'm sick of the same old songs. Paul acts a lot younger than he is, but that only goes so far.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:22 PM »

Funny thing is that 'old' people performing popsongs is a new thing. Paul is a first generation popmusician, so therefore it is not seen before. In jazz, musicians are respected more and more as they get older and still perform. Obviously there's some doubt if the same thing should apply to popmusic. In my opinion, it should.

It's interesting you should say that, because pop music is generally all about youth. Young people listen to it because they can relate to it, and older folk listen to it because it reminds them of when they were young. So I think Paul has the market cornered in both those respects.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »

It's interesting you should say that, because pop music is generally all about youth.

I'm not sure it is anymore. I have relatives who are in their fifties and sixties, who still download new music and have a much more rocking taste than their own children.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 01:36:24 AM »

Theres music out today thats good? Thats news to me.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 01:44:40 AM »

Theres music out today thats good? Thats news to me.

There certainly is. You just need to look a bit harder. It used to be in the charts and now it's mostly underground.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »

If he isnt to old, its getting damn close. He's old enough now that people are going to see him just so they can get it in before he dies. His voice is shot and i'm sick of the same old songs. Paul acts a lot younger than he is, but that only goes so far.

.you won't be going to see him then!for the record i act a lot younger than i am too.for a paul fan to say this about paul-i expected a little more from you,todd.'before he dies'.......it's a bit much,isn't it?
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 01:13:14 AM »

.you won't be going to see him then!for the record i act a lot younger than i am too.for a paul fan to say this about paul-i expected a little more from you,todd.'before he dies'.......it's a bit much,isn't it?

I'm just stating what people have told me and you cant tell me you havent heard the same. Even my friend who's a huge Beatle/Paul freak gave me that line so he could convince me to go see Paul the last time he came around. Its just the facts. You ask people who are kind of into the Beatles or interested in Paul and they say they'd like to go see him before he dies. I'm just repeating what I hear.

As for seeing him again,,,,,no. Not in an arena setting anyways. Six times is enough and its not getting better with age. I'm just not into a 70 year old trying to act hip. I would just love to see him do some smaller venues with a more personal show. Thats how I envision him now. I love Paul, but I want him to keep his dignity.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 01:45:22 AM »

You ask people who are kind of into the Beatles or interested in Paul and they say they'd like to go see him before he dies.

I saw Paul live last year, for the first time in my life. And indeed, my main reason for going was because I just wanted to see a Beatle play live. If it would've been just Paul sitting in a chair, nodding along to a cover band playing Beatles songs, I probably still would've gone. But I've got to say, I thought he did a really great show. He played for two hours and not a single second I have the feeling that maybe it was time for him to retire.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »

I saw Paul live last year, for the first time in my life. And indeed, my main reason for going was because I just wanted to see a Beatle play live.

So you understand where i'm coming from. I'm not making it up. Whether we like it or not, Pauls mortality is a subject readily brought up at this point in the game and why wouldnt it be? .

But I've got to say, I thought he did a really great show. He played for two hours and not a single second I have the feeling that maybe it was time for him to retire.

I admit that he does do a good show. All people are suprised that a man of that age can actually pull it off. I just fear that Paul is going to embarrass himself if he keeps it up much longer. The writings on the wall and its ok to accept it.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »

I think that his voice isn't the way it was, I think we all can agree on that. You're not going to hear him do that beautiful vocal he did on something like And I Love Her again. And he's still a good looking guy, but he isn't absolutely hot like he used to be. Who is when they get older? But, you know what? I think he sounds and looks great for his age. I think in a few years he'll be done, at least with the touring. But, as for now, I say go ahead and let him do it. It seems to be quite successful, he sold a show out in a matter of seconds the other day. He does keep changing the set list, too. Yeah, he still does Hey Jude, Yesterday, Get Back, and all those, because I think he feels the audience wants to hear them. And they're great songs. But, I saw him in concert a few months ago, and he opened with Venus and Mars/Rockshow, and also did Ram On, Letting Go, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five, And I Love Her, and more. You're not gonna see those on any concert DVDs of his from the past 10 years. So, yeah, I think he's still got it.  :)
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 11:10:12 PM »

he could do instrumental music

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 11:17:03 PM »

I admit that he does do a good show. All people are suprised that a man of that age can actually pull it off. I just fear that Paul is going to embarrass himself if he keeps it up much longer. The writings on the wall and its ok to accept it.

I think I do see your point. You've already seen Paul live several times so you won't be going just for the thrill of seeing him in person anymore, and you'd rather not witness his decline, right? I understand that, and if I would've been a fan as long as you have, and if I'd seen him live that many times, I might feel the same way.

But I think that for the newer or the more casual fans it's a blessing that Paul's still touring. Nobody expects a 68 year old man to sing a song as well as he did when he was 31. I think anyone who goes to see Paul McCartney in 2010 accepts that. People just want to see their favorite songs being sung by the guy who originally recorded them, and they want to show him their appreciation by singing along and clapping and cheering. When I saw Paul live a year ago he seemed to be having fun, and he still managed to sell out one of Holland's biggest soccer stadiums. So Paul still wants to do it and his audience still wants to see him, and I think those are the only two reasons that anyone needs to not stop touring.

The people who still want to see him can still go, the people who don't want to see him anymore can stay home. So everyone gets what he wants, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.987 seconds with 83 queries.