Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sinister Paul Songs  (Read 3588 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Sinister Paul Songs
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:19:28 AM »

Been meaning to put this topic up for discussion for sometime .
Listening to Paul over the years i've noticed there is a sinister element in some of his songs , it's been mentioned in other threads , which some have seen in his work and other's have'nt .
For me songs like For No One , Maxwell's Silver Hammer , Loveliest Thing , Tempory Secretery , House Of Wax ,Smile Away , Helter Skelter and Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight all have that feeling that loveable Paul might have a darker side , i don't know if it's a grudge thing that comes out in his songs , but their is something there , thats out of kilter  , what do you think ???? (hammer1)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Sinister Paul Songs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:36:35 AM »

Often the music as a choppy feel like something is been cut up , Mr Bellamy and Let Me Roll It have that ?
Or it's brooding like Riding To Vanity Fair or Dear Friend ?

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »

I know what your saying, there is a detached, observational Paul that comes out in his songwriting, sometimes cold. The frustration and longing of his lost mother?
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »

Quote from: 15
I know what your saying, there is a detached, observational Paul that comes out in his songwriting, sometimes cold. The frustration and longing of his lost mother?

"Cold" thats a good word to describe the feeling i get from some of his songs , when he wrote with Elvis Costello you can hear it ? Elvis as that detached observational thing in his songwriting, Don't Be Careless Love and That Day Is Done are creepy songs ? and some of the other's they wrote together So Like Candy and The Lovers That Never Were .
It could be something to do with losing his mother , but i don't hear it so much in John's songs , could be his songs are more personal and less character driven like Paul's  ?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 01:55:29 AM »

"Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight" has this line at the end which I think says this:  "Last thing to do was to try to betray me."  With the distorted guitars and Paul's vocals, it does indeed sound sinister.  It also seems like a bit of a threat to me, as if he's warning someone (Heather Mills?) not to mess with him ever again.

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer"...that's a funny one.  I'll say it's the jolliest serial killer song I've ever heard.

The opening for "Lovers in a Dream" sounds very dark as well.

Other songs to consider, although they don't seem outwardly sinister:  "You Won't See Me" and "I'm Looking Through You."  They have bouncy melodies which make them sound like regular pop songs, but the lyrics seem so uncharacteristically angry, bitter, and personal for Paul (in my opinion).

Oh yes, and I almost forgot "Eleanor Rigby."  I love this song but lately I have been wondering if it's a bit sinister-sounding too.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »

yeah he does have a spiteful cold side doesn't he? let's see when it started..
Zr9hsfEGg78

here is an early indication that a change has occurred..no longer is it i wanna hold your hand but i found you out shame on you more or less but it got worse and went to bashing your head in with a hammer...very strange to quote penny lane the song...someone failed him maybe he nurtures a hate...maybe he isn't really paul but billy shears...paul where did you i thought i knew you what did i know...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:37:37 AM »

Zr9hsfEGg78
snidley was at it hard on rubber souls.... ;D
http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1007.html

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:45:57 AM »

could it have been jane?
wait it dates back further...i'll follow the sun shows a selfish nature too...and thats dot rhones days...

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »

^^^^^ Penny Lane , George Martin as said recently that his string arrangement for Eleanor Rigby is based on the score for Hitchcock's "Psycho" .
I used to think this song was all about loneliness , but i think Eleanor maybe as a dark secret and as been shunned by people ?
I agree it's a song that does have a sinister sound and feel to it , something bad happend in this women's life ?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:26:28 AM »

Quote from: 971
^^^^^ Penny Lane , George Martin as said recently that his string arrangement for Eleanor Rigby is based on the score for Hitchcock's "Psycho" .

Wow, so my ears weren't lying to me!

Quote from: 971
I used to think this song was all about loneliness , but i think Eleanor maybe as a dark secret and as been shunned by people ?
I agree it's a song that does have a sinister sound and feel to it , something bad happend in this women's life ?

Hmm...  I'm not one to get over-analytical but it's interesting to ponder her supposed life story.  I have felt bad that no one loved poor Eleanor.  I imagine that she must've been very meek and unnoticeable, and perhaps not very attractive too. :-/

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:44 AM »

Quote from: 284
could it have been jane?
wait it dates back further...i'll follow the sun shows a selfish nature too...and thats dot rhones days...

Think it might be Jane and i think Paul can bare a grudge , if you look at certain songs through the years and "I'm Looking Through You" is a good example , i think Paul settles some score's in his songs ?
Mr Puppy dog eyes does'nt fool me , he can turn and bite your leg ?
(teeth1)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »

Quote from: 284
could it have been jane?

Good grief, I'm going a little nuts.  I kept thinking you meant Jane, our board member, instead of Paul's Jane Asher! ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 10:46:59 AM »

Quote from: 1620

Wow, so my ears weren't lying to me!

Hmm...  I'm not one to get over-analytical but it's interesting to ponder her supposed life story.  I have felt bad that no one loved poor Eleanor.  I imagine that she must've been very meek and unnoticeable, and perhaps not very attractive too. :-/

Agree you could ponder over these great Beatle songs for ever and a day and get nowhere .
But i think Paul is maybe more complex than just a silly love song balladeer , there is something a bit dark about some of his songs .

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:54:58 AM »

I don't think we should be too suprised that many of Pauls songs appear "cold", as this does seem a dominant feature of Paul's personality. So many people have described as cold, distant, hard-to-know etc. I guess he's still just a traditional northern lad who keeps his real emotions on the inside, not on the sleeve.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »

Let's not forget that Paul has stated on several occasions in the past that most of his songs are just made up.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »

Quote from: 1620

Good grief, I'm going a little nuts.  I kept thinking you meant Jane, our board member, instead of Paul's Jane Asher! ;D
only a little????
well one of the keys to good song writing is to put yourself in another frame of mind and he does very well.....his heart isn't on his sleeve because he uses that as a hanky...the link i posted is a great little site...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »

Quote from: 483
Let's not forget that Paul has stated on several occasions in the past that most of his songs are just made up.

We know, we know...but it's all in good fun.  ;)  

(This reminds me of a high school poetry instructor I had who made us write poems on the spot during class.  We would sometimes make up whatever we could think of just to get full credit, and we would laugh and roll our eyes at our instructor as he tried to read too deeply into our work...  (rolleyes) )  However, I suppose if any of us were psychologists, we'd have fun picking apart Paul's lyrics to discover the "true" nature of his psyche... ;D

Quote from: 185
I don't think we should be too suprised that many of Pauls songs appear "cold", as this does seem a dominant feature of Paul's personality. So many people have described as cold, distant, hard-to-know etc. I guess he's still just a traditional northern lad who keeps his real emotions on the inside, not on the sleeve.

I wonder if Paul's perceived coldness also has to do with the fact that he's been in the limelight for so many decades.  I think he is wary of being taken advantage of by exploitative reporters, fans, and phony friends, and thus keeps people at an arm's length in order to protect himself.

Interestingly, though, I am in the middle of Geoff Emerick's book about the Beatles, and he describes Paul as being the most gregarious, warmest and friendliest out the four.  However, I also recall that Robert Freeman described Paul as outgoing but reluctant to get too close.

Yet, in some ways, Paul's standoffishness make his songs a little more enticing.  Since he doesn't like to be overly revealing in his lyrics, it leaves fans guessing if he had specific intentions when writing certain songs.  (For instance, I've heard that "Riding to Vanity Fair" on "C&C" could be about his ex-wife Heather, but others have surmised that it could be about John...)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »

youre mother should know - has that cold distant feeling to it

Penny lane - has that sinister turn i keep going on about - it turns at "pleasure to KNOW" it goes into a minor and goes all cold feeling, could come across as a doubt in a otherwise cheery memory

House if wax

Eleanor Rigby

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »

Quote from: 483

I would imagine a good 80% of them are , but the remainder clearly point to events in his life ?
Linda ,John, Jane ,Heather and himself , the last five studio albums are much more personal than he's been in the past ?
I think the sinister cold brooding grudge songs , however you want to describe them are a bit different though , granted it's a small amount of his output but he clearly wants to get something off his chest in these songs ?
It's not all love songs rockers and whimsy , there's a bit of depth here  and i think it's pretty cool we can point to some of his more glacier songs ?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 81 queries.