Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Pink Floyd Albums  (Read 19741 times)

Crazy Diamond

Re: Pink Floyd Albums
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2004, 09:25:22 AM »

:P

Mrs.Nicholson

• Getting Better
  • Jack Nicholson~Gorgous actor~pure sexiness
    • Deranged89
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2004, 03:37:47 PM »

I love all their albums. But I loooove The Wall!!!
Jack is a taurus
I am a cancer
These two star signs are a match made in heaven
Jack and I are ment for each other

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2005, 07:53:14 PM »

I like the 70s Floyd, but they're kinda like codeine.  "Is there anybody in there?"   For me, the Syd Barrett songs have a life and vibrance and imagination that low-grade depressed old Roger Waters could never quite summon. 

"That cat's something I can't explain." 

So it's Piper for me.  And the Syd Barrett solo records easily outclass the contemporary Floyd. 

Basically the only time Floyd/Roger wrote with any soul was when he was writing about (and copying the lyrical style of) Syd Barrett.

Why didn't the wankers just pick him up for that gig, even if he was a crazy pain in the ass! 

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2005, 08:06:30 PM »

^Too much LSD!!!! Acid casualty. Bloody good though! ;)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2005, 12:16:53 AM »

Syd's stuff gets annoying after a while. And he wasn't much of a singer. I like the guys stuff though and think he was very talented before he fried his brain, but the 70's Floyd is a monster. They were geniuses and the albums from the 70's are amazing. That's what made them so popular in the first place.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2005, 01:03:52 AM »

yes pink floyd are genuises especially roger waters

Paul McCartney :)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2005, 01:23:57 AM »

70's Floyd is the best for me. I've said before, but I can't get much further back than Meddle.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2005, 01:35:12 AM »

i cant  get much further back then atom heart mother

piper is ok not the best tho

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2005, 02:23:45 AM »

I really like floyd, and the only one i could really call outstanding is The Wall...it takes geniuses to have so much inspiration to get all those great ideas and make an outstanding album out of it... Waters hit the bulls-eye with that one...
but animals, dark side, piper, wish you were here [..] are all great...

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2005, 03:09:47 AM »

I would except Wish You Where Here from my earlier comments--it's rock solid.  There's something human there.  Probably Dave Gilmour.  The problem with Roger Waters is that he's so damned predictable!   What's the point of The Wall except to say that the "big star" has gotten to the point that he despises his stadium audiences and wants to spit in their faces.  It's a catalog of his own dehumanization, I guess.  I just find no will or desire in Rodg to rehumanize himself.  No redemption song.  Just condemnation of the stupid nazi-ish fans, War in general, Mrs. Thatcher.  I mean, look at the magnum opus The Final Cut--written about the Falklands War!  I mean, c'mon, Roger!  I'm surprised he didn't do follow up on the Grenada invasion.   That's why I'll have to give Gilmour credit for "Momentary Lapse of Reason"--he's edging out of fingerpointing self-absorption PF territory to something positive and humane in songs like "The Turning Away" and "Learning to Fly" even if the productions does sound a little too much like '80s Genesis. 

I think Syd's got a phenomenal voice--totally unique.  Who else could sing "Terrapin"?  And the last lines from "Jugband Blues" or the line "Wouldn't you miss me at all" (in Dark Globe)--that's about as inside a lyric as you can get.  We ain't talking pitch here--this guy's singing open, revelatory in a way that the Beatles do at their best (Lennon usually in his self-revelatory moments) or in the way Billie Holiday could inhabit a song. 

Don't mean to rant--it'll always be a battle in popular music.  Syd or Pink Floyd, nakedness or contrivance. 

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2005, 03:32:30 PM »

You're right about Syd's voice. He does sing with a lot of emotion and his songs are very unique and raw. I love the guy, but I do need to take a break from him every now and then. I don't know why. Dave's voice is very soft and soothing, so I could listen to him endlessly. Just preference I guess. Roger sings with a lot of emotion too though and a lot of his Floyd songs are my favorites. He learned a lot from Syd I guess.

Roger did start to repeat himself though that's for sure. Even Rick said they would be like: "Oh no not again!" because he stuck with the same subject matter. I think it was time for Floyd to split up then. I liked a couple of songs from the Division Bell, but then Dave's my favorite Floyd singer so that's not surprising. I've never heard any of Roger's solo stuff. Wonder if I should give some of it a listen.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2005, 05:33:22 PM »

I like Dave's voice too.  Not to mention guitar.  I guess Roger's just an easy target.  So hatchet-faced and hun-like.  I guess the ultimate problem about Pink Floyd is that they just weren't The Beatles, just like the 70s weren't the 60s. 

But can't blame them for that, I guess.   I guess that's the thing about Syd--if he hadn't fallen apart, maybe . . .

I've been on a Barrett kick for the past couple months.  But it'll come to an end just like my Billy Joe Shaver kick did and before that my Desmond Dekker kick. 

Ah, fans, what a fickle lot!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2005, 07:50:54 PM »

That's funny. Roger hatchet faced! On the Pink Floyd forum I go to they have a poll about the Sexiest Pink Floyd member and Roger, Syd, and Dave are all tied!! Rick's in first place. I can't figure that one out!

I was on a Syd kick a couple of months ago myself! Now it's something else. But I'm ALWAYS on a Beatles kick. That never ends. :D

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2005, 10:41:55 PM »

who sings wish you were here, ive never known

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2005, 10:51:08 PM »

[quote by=number14 link=Blah.pl?b=othermusic,m=1096669468,s=73 date=1105051315]who sings wish you were here, ive never known[/quote]

never checked but im pretty pretty sure it's gilmour...Waters voice is very distinctive, with a lot of emotion...listen to songs like fletcher memorial and when the tigers broke free and you hear the difference compared to some gilmour songs...

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2005, 11:29:02 PM »

It is Gilmour who sings Wish You Were Here. His falsetto on the outro gives me goosebumps. So emotional. I do like Waters scathingness but in doses. Particularly on Dogs.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2005, 12:00:43 AM »

I love both their vocals on Comfortably Numb, they were perfect for that song, each unique style

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2005, 02:24:55 AM »

i got obscured by clouds i like the song whats the deal

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2005, 02:25:12 AM »

and gold its in the...

Will Campbell

• A Beginning
  • In my life....I love you more
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2005, 12:57:51 PM »

I have to say "Dark Side".  I'd always avoided Floyd like the plague, but the first album I lsitened to (and coincidentally connected with) was "Dark Side".  I then started sucking up any Floyd I could get.

Some of Syd's stuff I agree is excellent lyrically, but doesn't really interpret into great material.  Wish You Were Here was ok, but it could have been Dark Side Volume 2.  The Wall was a great conecpt (and a great achievement), but for this listener had too many Roger vocals for me.  I liked the Division Bell but it was fluffy, as was A Momentary Laspe of Reason.  They both had some good moments, but had a few bad ones as well.

Here's another clue for you all; the Walrus was Paul...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 84 queries.