Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pete Best 1965 legal interviews (quoted in Tune In) now on Spotify  (Read 2448 times)

henrythehorse

• One And One Is Two
  • I learnt to play guitar by listening to George H

I don't know if this is old news and I've no idea how to link to Spotify but ... If you search for Pete Best Savage Beatles, it'll bring up an album cover with Pete and John on it. There is an hours' worth of the legal interview he gave in 1965, around the time that RIngo and John made their ill-judged comments about him in Playboy. This Cd seems to have been around for some years but, after reading some of the quotes from it in Tune In, I was curious to hear Pete speaking (without Mona talking for him) about his time in the Beatles so soon after being sacked.

I've only listened to a few excerpts so far and it's ... very poignant. He sounds desolate, as you would expect. (He does earn a brief frown from me when he claims credit for the Beatles' name by saying he persuaded them to drop "Silver" and not mentioning that John came up with the word "Beatles"). You're hearing him as a young man, in America (I think he was touring there at the time), being asked questions by two fairly pushy American lawyers (?), talking about his former band, who were already a global phenomenon, whilst he was going nowhere. If I have my chronology right, he attempted suicide when he got back to Liverpool. Thank goodness Mona and Rory saved him.
I Can't Tell A Waltz From a Tango

KelMar

Re: Pete Best 1965 legal interviews (quoted in Tune In) now on Spotify
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 06:31:10 AM »

It's here: Savage Young Beatles Album 1 You have to join Spotify or sign in to actually get to it.

Information on this interview seems very hard to find. Indeed, all that I could really find about it was from Mark Lewisohn's footnotes:

"recording of legal interview with Pete Best, New York, 1965".

I wonder who actually did the interview? There's an error in the introduction when the person says it was done during Pete's first visit to the US. Bill Harry writes "On Monday 30 March 1964 Pete appeared as a guest on the American TV show, ‘I’ve Got A Secret." Mersey Beat

http://youtu.be/_0U3xIJ8ypc

Quote from: henrythehorse
I've only listened to a few excerpts so far and it's ... very poignant.

I've got it scheduled for tomorrow, while I'm cleaning the house. :)

henrythehorse

• One And One Is Two
  • I learnt to play guitar by listening to George H
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 07:31:06 AM »

Well, just don't expect it to have you zipping around with your feather duster!  ;D
I Can't Tell A Waltz From a Tango

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 04:15:54 PM »

Well, just don't expect it to have you zipping around with your feather duster!  ;D

LOL Maybe I'd better warm up with this:

http://youtu.be/lG6Z1tdIaTo

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 41 queries.