Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Yesterday co-written by George Martin?  (Read 13233 times)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
Re: Yesterday co-written by George Martin?
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2006, 08:15:40 PM »

Actually George Martin wrote all the Beatles music.  The Beatles themselves were just fabrications of EMI's secret weapons division.  

The US Dept of Defense tried to counter with Don Kirshner and the Monkees, but it just didn't work.  

Luckily the Soviets were light years behind in boy band fabrication.  

Bobber

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2006, 02:37:50 PM »

A Dutch newspaper revealed this today:

The Beatles hebben de melodie van hun klassieker Yesterday gejat van een Napolitaans volkswijsje.

Dat zegt de Italiaanse muziekexpert en componist Lilli Greco. Als bewijs speelde hij in een nieuwsuitzending op de piano het liedje Piccere

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2006, 03:11:35 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
According to Greco, Epstein revealed that John and Paul used to love old music from Napoli.

It's in all the books. Italian icecream-men would travel to Liverpool and sing to eager young urchins, who dashed home and doning fake mostaches (sp) would copy their new-found heroes. Paul's cousin Dingle  famously said "being a saprano's alright Paul, but you'll look like a dork."
Luckily for the world Paul listened. Though rumour has it that Sgt Pepper, with its overt facial hair and brightly coloured Napolese Icecream-man suits was originally called "Il Tricheco ha dei mucchi" and was to contain mostly Italian folk music, until George told him to stop being a pretentious nobhead, and went off and wrote Within You Without You.
don't follow leaders

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2006, 04:42:45 PM »

Ah, the Italian Conspiracy, facilitated by Girgio Martino . . .

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2007, 02:14:46 AM »

Quote from: 297
I mentioned The family Way as an example of a theme composed by Paul without Lennon credits ... so the agreement in that case was somehow broken ... Lennon's solo project (Give Peace A Chance) was another example ...
[..]

McCARTNEY. YESTERDAY AND TODAY (by Ray Coleman)
Chapter 5 - The Enigma of John Lennon
'He wore a suit of armour'

"[...]The healthy partnership and camaraderie that evolved from Paul and John's competitive streak was only one step away from sibling rivalry. It now transpires that one of John's earliest 'hurts' inflicted by Paul was McCartney's solo writing of the music for the Hayley Mills film The Family Way in 1966. 'I was told recently by Yoko that one of the things that hurt John over the years was me going off and doing The Family Way," Paul says. The filmmaking Boulting brothers had approached him via George Martin. 'I thought this was a great opportunity. We were all free to do stuff outside the Beatles and we'd each done various little things.'

When he mentioned it to John, Paul said, 'He would have had his suit of armour on and said: "No, I don't mind." However, my reasoning would be that at exactly the same time he went off to make a film. He wrote his books [In His Own Write and A Spaniard In The Works]. It was in the spirit of all that. But what I didn't realize was that this was the first time one of us had done it on songs. John would write a book and I was supposed not to be jealous, which I wasn't. He acted in a film [How I Won the War]. But I didn't realize he made a distinction between all those solo things and actually writing music because this was the first time one of us had done it in film scoring. I suppose what I should have said was: "I'd like to write it with John," and then that would have been OK. It actually didn't occur to me at that time at all. So I went off, saw and liked the film, said: "Right, come on George [Martin]," and I must say it was all over very quickly.' He was especially proud of the speed with which he wrote the song 'Love in the Open Air', 'which picked up an Ivor Novello award as the best film song that year, which I was always very proud of. [...]"

from here:http://wingspan.ru/bookseng/coleman/coleman05.html

P.S. Interesting reading ... Paul's view of John

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2007, 08:15:31 PM »

Ringo got credits for his contribution (he played drums!!! ::)) to "Really Love You" (Flamig Pie, 1997)!!!

"'Really Love You' is the first time you and Paul have been credited as writing together, just the two of you."
"Well, I was surprised when I spoke to Paul, because we did just make it up as we went along. He called me and said I was sharing the credit and I said, "Thank you very much". I wasn't expecting anything. It's like, "you play on my albums through the years, and I'll play on yours". I don't get union rate! You know, we usually have dinner and send each other flowers and that's it."

from here: http://wingspan.ru/magazines/cs/cs83/page05.html

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2007, 11:12:49 PM »

Quote from: 9
Actually George Martin wrote all the Beatles music.  .  

He made the chords not more.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »

Quote from: 632
He made the chords not more.

He probably, among other things, chose (and played some) instruments and arrangements too  :) ... by the way, adamzero was kidding, you know! ;)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »

Was I, Rax,  or did EMI just get to me?  The Vatican's probably mixed up in this thing too.  

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2007, 09:19:36 PM »

Quote from: 9
Was I, Rax,  or did EMI just get to me?  The Vatican's probably mixed up in this thing too.  
I don't know what to believe now!!! ;D

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »

Quote from: 297
[...]but we must remember that almost everything Paul or John added to a song written by the other was just an arrangement (one chord or harmony or even one word) most of the times ... and nobody doubt that he (whoever in every case) should have got credits for that ... because we consider that he (whoever again) was composing/writing ... not arranging ... but the thing is that there were more people who did that too in many songs (George, Ringo, and others including Sir George too) ... and I don't care if their main roles were musicians, producers, arrangers, friends or wifes/girlfriends ... Linda got credits in 1971 ...  ::)

"Another Day

Paul's first solo single, to which John Lennon referred to in his song 'How Do You Sleep'. Its theme was about the drudgery of office life.

The songwriting was credited to Paul and Linda, which caused a slight panic at ATV Music who had spent millions purchasing Northern Songs in a deal that included rights to new material from Paul and John. At the time, the Evening Standard reported that 'half the copyright is being claimed by Maclen Music Ltd (the first assignees of copyright of all Lennon and McCartney compositions), and the other half by a company called McCartney Inc.'

In a Rolling Stone interview with Paul Gambaccini, Paul was to say, 'Lew Grade suddenly saw his songwriting concession, which he'd just paid an awful lot of money for, virtually to get hold of John and I, he suddenly saw that I was claiming that I was writing half my stuff with Linda, and that if I was writing half of it she was entitled to a pure half of it, no matter whether she was a recognised songwriter or not. I didn't think that was important, I thought that whoever I worked with, no matter what the collaboration was, that person, if they did help on the song, should have a portion of the song for helping me. I think at the time their organisation suddenly thought, "Hello, they're pulling a fast one, they're trying to get some of the money back," whereas in fact, it was the truth.'
[...]"

from here: http://wingspan.ru/bookseng/encyclopedia/a.html

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2007, 04:42:03 AM »

Funny how Paul wasn't as generous with writing credits with George and Ringo during the Beatles.  I guess Linda was just a better songsmith than those two hacks.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.658 seconds with 58 queries.