Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Hey Bulldog Footage  (Read 7404 times)

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
The Hey Bulldog Footage
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »

We've all seen the Hey Bulldog clip before.  I have a few questions, and thoughts about that shoot.

I've never thought of this, but where is the rest of that footage?  That clip was edited together from what looks like
lots of footage/shots of that session.  Has anyone found more, can confirm that is what destroyed, or thought of this before?

Also, have recently been into Abbey Road Studio 2, on that tour in the spring I was wondering...
That session was completely recorded there?  A few shots, especially those looking up, look like another studio. 
Maybe 3?  I don't think so, but it would be great if someone could confirm.  Becaues of the lighting it's hard to tell.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
Re: The Hey Bulldog Footage
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »

Not sure mate. I think I read in a book that the recording taking place during the filming is actually of Lady Madonna, but don't hold me to that.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:46:53 AM »

Not sure mate. I think I read in a book that the recording taking place during the filming is actually of Lady Madonna, but don't hold me to that.

You are correct. It is Lady Madonna footage.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »

They were filmed while they were recording Lady Madonna. This footage was used to put under Hey Bulldog, so that's why the synchronity is not working at all.

Ken Wood

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »

Oh wait - wasn`t it the other way around? This the story from the top of my head:
The Beatles were due to mime for a promo clip to go with their Lady Madonna release.
Once in the studio they figured it would be more fun to record a completly new song: Hey Bulldog.
So they were filmed doing this and afterwards the footage was edited to go along Lady Madonna.
Decades later Apple re-released this footage, this time re-edited and synched to the actual song seen recorded: Hey Bulldog.
And no, I don`t think this comes from more than one occassion or studio - what might have puzzled you is the fact that in Anthology this footage is also used but in combination with the "Music"-footage (that shows them recording Hey Jude).

Correct me if I misremembered!

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »

Yes, you are correct. It's the other way round and it makes sense. Lady Madonna was going to be the new single and the footage of the recording of Hey Bulldog was used in the video to promote it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »

Oh wait - wasn`t it the other way around? This the story from the top of my head:
The Beatles were due to mime for a promo clip to go with their Lady Madonna release.
Once in the studio they figured it would be more fun to record a completly new song: Hey Bulldog.
So they were filmed doing this and afterwards the footage was edited to go along Lady Madonna.
Decades later Apple re-released this footage, this time re-edited and synched to the actual song seen recorded: Hey Bulldog.
And no, I don`t think this comes from more than one occassion or studio - what might have puzzled you is the fact that in Anthology this footage is also used but in combination with the "Music"-footage (that shows them recording Hey Jude).

Correct me if I misremembered!

We've all seen the Hey Bulldog clip before.

I think it's à propos to watch both videos again...

The Beatles - Hey Bulldog 1080p [HD] (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

The Beatles-Lady Madonna (Digital Remaster 2009) [High Definition] HD
I can stay till it's time to go

Ken Wood

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »

Re-read the entry in John Winn`s That Magic Feeling (revised edition) and need to add that there is indeed footage from one more occassion in one of the original Lady Madonna clips (there are two): Paul getting up, grabbing his coat and guitar and leaving the studio originally stemming from the Step inside Love promo filming (1967) - but nor used there I think.

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »

There's short snippets from the Step Inside Love video used in the Lady Madonna video, Paul in the orange blouse at 1.44 for instance.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »

There's short snippets from the Step Inside Love video used in the Lady Madonna video, Paul in the orange blouse at 1.44 for instance.

Right.  At 1:23 in the Lady Madonna video.  I hadn't noticed that before.  Thanks Cor.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 08:02:55 PM »

The Beatles - Hey Bulldog 1080p [HD] (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

[/quote I think there are a couple of scenes that look like they are later in the white album era that has John with longer hair parted in the middle and Ringo in a purple shirt with a mustache. I don't think he grew that until summer 68 when he went on hiatus.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »

Thank you for all the replies.  I'd never seen the Step inside you Footage.  Just when you think you've seen it all.

What are your thoughts on the professional footage though?  The Hey Bulldog session looks professionally edited together.
They had to have filmed more?  If so, where is it...

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »

The Beatles - Hey Bulldog 1080p [HD]

I see. The footage didn't make sense to me .Anthology explains it.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

glenesis

• One And One Is Two
    • Glenn Moses - Homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:00:32 AM »

I'd never seen the Hey, Bulldog video. Such gorgeous footage, synched up with the banter at the end and everything! I had no idea this was filmed at all. Thanks so much for dissecting it all here, too!
Only Sound Can Break Silence
www.GlennMoses.com

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 07:19:18 AM »

I'd never seen the Hey, Bulldog video. Such gorgeous footage, synched up with the banter at the end and everything! I had no idea this was filmed at all. Thanks so much for dissecting it all here, too!

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »

"Hey Bulldog" is a great video; one of my favourite ever  :)

Snoopy

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »

Just had another thought.  There may be more of this footage somewhere, but also the orignal audio from the cameras would be great to hear.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »

I think the film as extra good because it's one of the few that are in color! Most shots are in black and white and feel cold and lifeless. It's like WW2 pic's, when you see a color one it adds a whole dimension.
Mark Twain

Bobber

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »

Just had another thought.  There may be more of this footage somewhere, but also the orignal audio from the cameras would be great to hear.

I'll have a look in Ritchie Unterberger's book tonight. Remind me if I forget.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 84 queries.