Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pre Ringo & Post Pete Best Drummer  (Read 4197 times)

ARC65

• One And One Is Two
Pre Ringo & Post Pete Best Drummer
« on: January 17, 2007, 11:53:23 PM »

Who was the drummer before Ringo and after Pete Best who was only on one english pressed single? I think his last name was "White". Can anybody shed some light on this chap? Thanks.

Arc65

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

ARC65

• One And One Is Two
Re: Pre Ringo & Post Pete Best Drummer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:57:21 PM »

Thanks Hello Goodbye. Well appreciated.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:01:27 AM »

Quote from: 24
Who was the drummer before Ringo and after Pete Best who was only on one english pressed single? I think his last name was "White". Can anybody shed some light on this chap? Thanks.

Arc65

This from Wiki:

"Love Me Do" was recorded by The Beatles on different occasions with three different drummers:

* The Beatles first recorded it on 6 June 1962 with Pete Best on drums, as part of their EMI audition at Abbey Road Studios in London.
    * By 4 September, Best had been replaced with Ringo Starr (producer George Martin did not approve of Best's drumming), and on that day The Beatles with Starr recorded a version again at Abbey Road Studios.
    * One week later, on 11 September, The Beatles returned to the same studio to discover that Martin was dissatisfied with Starr's drumming, and they made a recording of "Love Me Do" with session drummer Andy White on drums while Starr played tambourine.

Most issues of the single contain the Andy White version of the track, which can also be heard on several albums (including Please Please Me) and the The Beatles' Hits EP. The initial issues of the UK single, however, featured the Ringo Starr version, which is also included on the compilation album Past Masters, Volume One. All singles printed with the red Parlophone label contain the Ringo Starr version, whereas the singles having a black Parlophone label are the Andy White version. The CD single issued on 5 October 1992 contains both these versions. The Pete Best version remained unreleased until 1995, when it was included on the Anthology 1 album.

"Love Me Do", featuring Starr drumming, was also recorded eight times at the BBC and played on the BBC radio programmes Here We Go, Talent Spot, Saturday Club, Side By Side, Pop Go The Beatles and Easy Beat between October 1962 and October 1963. The version of "Love Me Do" recorded on 10 July 1963 at the BBC and broadcast on the 23 July 1963 Pop Go The Beatles programme can be heard on The Beatles album Live at the BBC. The Beatles also performed the song live on the 20 February 1963 Parade of the Pops BBC radio broadcast.

In 1969, during the Get Back sessions, The Beatles played the song in a slower, more bluesy form than they had in earlier recordings. This version of "Love Me Do" is one of many recordings made during these sessions and subsequently appeared on some bootlegs.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 03:20:05 AM »

rod would have been grand or norman!!!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 06:23:11 PM »

Quote from: 483

This from Wiki:

"Love Me Do" was recorded by The Beatles on different occasions with three different drummers:

* The Beatles first recorded it on 6 June 1962 with Pete Best on drums, as part of their EMI audition at Abbey Road Studios in London.
    * By 4 September, Best had been replaced with Ringo Starr (producer George Martin did not approve of Best's drumming), and on that day The Beatles with Starr recorded a version again at Abbey Road Studios.
    * One week later, on 11 September, The Beatles returned to the same studio to discover that Martin was dissatisfied with Starr's drumming, and they made a recording of "Love Me Do" with session drummer Andy White on drums while Starr played tambourine.

Most issues of the single contain the Andy White version of the track, which can also be heard on several albums (including Please Please Me) and the The Beatles' Hits EP. The initial issues of the UK single, however, featured the Ringo Starr version, which is also included on the compilation album Past Masters, Volume One. All singles printed with the red Parlophone label contain the Ringo Starr version, whereas the singles having a black Parlophone label are the Andy White version. The CD single issued on 5 October 1992 contains both these versions. The Pete Best version remained unreleased until 1995, when it was included on the Anthology 1 album.

"Love Me Do", featuring Starr drumming, was also recorded eight times at the BBC and played on the BBC radio programmes Here We Go, Talent Spot, Saturday Club, Side By Side, Pop Go The Beatles and Easy Beat between October 1962 and October 1963. The version of "Love Me Do" recorded on 10 July 1963 at the BBC and broadcast on the 23 July 1963 Pop Go The Beatles programme can be heard on The Beatles album Live at the BBC. The Beatles also performed the song live on the 20 February 1963 Parade of the Pops BBC radio broadcast.

In 1969, during the Get Back sessions, The Beatles played the song in a slower, more bluesy form than they had in earlier recordings. This version of "Love Me Do" is one of many recordings made during these sessions and subsequently appeared on some bootlegs.

Just to summarize this Wiki entry: If you hear Love Me Do on an album, and you DON'T hear a tambourine - it's Ringo on the drums. Otherwise, if you do hear a tambourine ... it's Alan White on the drums.

I think AW also may have been the drummer on "Please Please Me", the version on the Anthology tapes where there is no harmonica (George plays that part on his guitar). It's interesting to compare the drumming on that version with the final single version (where we know it was Ringo). Lots of similarities, especially the stacatto stuff on the last few chords. Nothing wrong with that, but if indeed it was Alan White on the first version, Ringo clearly liked some of his stuff enough to incorporate it into his own version - often referred to as a fantastic early Ringo track!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:43:52 PM »

Quote from: 483

All singles printed with the red Parlophone label contain the Ringo Starr version, whereas the singles having a black Parlophone label are the Andy White version.

Wikipedia is wrong - initial copies printed on the black label also have Ringo on drums - later 1963 black label pressings feature the common 'tambourine' version. Also, when Love Me Do was re-issued in 1992, it was pressed with a red Parlophone label almost identical to the 1962 pressing but this was also the 'tambourine' version - Ringo's version did appear on the 12" vinyl copy though.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 01:28:27 AM »

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »

LOL! Spidey's secret identity is finally revealed. He's Andy White!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 56 queries.