Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Madonna True Blue 35th anniversary ed  (Read 1020 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Madonna True Blue 35th anniversary ed
« on: July 30, 2021, 06:47:38 PM »

I'm listening to some songs from this album (35th anniversary edition - reissued today, July 30th, 2021).  I'm not sure what I think yet.  But there's some really nice songs on here so it's worth listening to again.  I think "Papa don't preach, Open your heart, Live to tell, and La Isla Bonita" are the standout songs for me.  I loved her in the 1980s.

Actually, now that I've listened to a few songs (while typing this), it seems like her vocals seem muffled IMO and as if they're situated in dead center of the recordings.  I'd like to hear a sharper sound in terms of her vocals.  I'll have to listen to the initial 1986 release in order to compare.  There doesn't seem to be any prominent stereo separations in any of these songs either.  I like hearing left and right channels but I'm not hearing that here (or is it just me?).

I'm not sure if these are re-mixes or not.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Madonna True Blue 35th anniversary ed
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 02:30:52 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfsnebJd-BI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfsnebJd-BI</a>

icon_good

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p-lDYPR2P8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p-lDYPR2P8</a>

Who's she kidding?!   >:(

I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 11:54:28 AM »

Who's she kidding?!   >:(

Nobody.

I mean no offense, Loco Mo; I'm just not a Madonna fan.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:22:16 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 09:26:58 PM »

I loved her in the 1980s.

As you can guess, Loco, I couldn't stand her in the 1980s.  I, too, was never a fan.  But she had a following, that's for sure.

But Madonna recognized talent.  Her Material Girl video is an example of the adage “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”  (Oscar Wilde)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »

And in all fairness, Marilyn Monroe, as Lorelei in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, paid homage to Carol Channing as Lorelei in the original 1949 Broadway cast...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYOg_mmo990" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYOg_mmo990</a>

icon_good

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 12:15:46 AM »

Thanks, Hello, for posting those videos.  I've never compared the two until now.  What a contrast between the two ladies!

I will say that I've had mixed feelings about Madonna all these years.  But despite that, I've liked a lot of her songs.

Normandie:  That's okay.  You don't have to be a Madonna fan for my sake.  You like whomever you like.  I don't expect everyone I know to like whomever I like in any field.  It's some of her songs that I like.  She seems somewhat off putting as a person.  Does she come across as cold?  I'm not sure but I'm really not interested in having a discussion about her as a person or as a performer.  I will say this:  I think she is someone who was born to be in the spotlight.  That seems to be destiny for some people, like Paul McCartney, Marilyn Monroe, etc.

I wouldn't want that.  Nope.  No fame for me and no chance I'd ever have it either!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 02:16:45 AM »

You're a good soul, Loco.  And you always manage to pose thoughts worthy of discussion.  You're the perfect Forum member.

For me, the 1980s marked the conclusion of my hospital residency program and my entry into private practice.  I had little time to follow music until the following decade.  College and doctoral studies marked the 1970s foe me.  Since I didn't care for disco, I spent my time listening to The Beatles and other British Invasions groups still around.  By the 1990s I finally had the chance to listen to contemporary music.  So much had changed!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 03:32:21 AM »

I actually like a good bit of Madonnas stuff.  I especially like the early stuff Tony Thompson drummed on.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 09:15:26 AM »

Normandie:  That's okay. 

I'm so glad you said that, Loco Mo; I've been quite worried that I was hurtful.

I wouldn't want that.  Nope.  No fame for me and no chance I'd ever have it either!

Same! I'm happy to live my life without being stalked by paparazzi. I can trip and stumble, and take a bite of a street taco, etc., without having anyone snap a close-up photo or dissect my behavior.  I would seriously hate to be famous. ;D

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 12:26:07 AM »

tkitna:  Tony Thompson said that Madonna was a lot of fun to work with.  I had to look him up.  You obviously have a very good knowledge of drummers.  Thanks for mentioning him.

He's the drummer for "Like a Virgin."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__rX_WL100" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__rX_WL100</a>

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 12:49:25 AM »

'Material Girl' was a good one from Thompson.  Really tasty and fun to play. 

Love Tony Thompson (RIP).  He drummed his butt off in the Power Station and I loved his drumming when he went on tour with Bowie too.  Serious talent.  Played with a lot of people.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »

tkitna:  Thanks for the information.  I didn't know he played on "Material Girl," too.  But now that I listen to it again, I hear the similarity of the snare drum staccato-type beat also displayed on the "Like a Virgin" record.  As you know, I was once a teenage drummer and I don't think I would have had the confidence to play as Tony does so competently on the snare drum.  I think I was trying to buffer the snare with cymbal work and by turning off the snares from time to time.  Also, his snare sounds very crisp and bullet-like in its precision and impact.

These are examples of someone who can play without much flash and still be quite effective with their backbeats.  I noticed on "Material Girl" that his initial snare stroke seems to start the song (maybe not exactly - I'll have to listen to it again).

When I googled Tony, I didn't locate a discography that was comprehensive enough to note his contributions to songs as specific as Material Girl and Like a Virgin.  So again, I appreciate your input.  Have a great day.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 08:14:51 PM by Loco Mo »

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 65 queries.