Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where do your political beliefs lay?  (Read 7757 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Where do your political beliefs lay?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »

I don't think anyone's been offensive in the slightest. This is the Current Affairs forum, and by nature, relatively serious, and therefore folks should feel free to speak their own mind.

And actually Alexis, it does matter to me who wins. I think it matters to everybody. Yes I have read the thread, though I haven't often contributed. Though I have to say I'm beginning to understand American politics a bit more due to both that thread, and the media bombardment going on at the moment. It's getting more coverage here than the Danish election did last year! Mind you, that only lasts a couple of weeks. Bliss!!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:20 PM »

Quote from: 483
I don't think anyone's been offensive in the slightest. This is the Current Affairs forum, and by nature, relatively serious, and therefore folks should feel free to speak their own mind.

And actually Alexis, it does matter to me who wins. I think it matters to everybody. Yes I have read the thread, though I haven't often contributed. Though I have to say I'm beginning to understand American politics a bit more due to both that thread, and the media bombardment going on at the moment. It's getting more coverage here than the Danish election did last year! Mind you, that only lasts a couple of weeks. Bliss!!

But if it only lasts a couple of weeks, you might not learn how well the candidates can bowl  :(  Under those circumstances, how can one make an informed decision about who would be best to lead the country in times of good and bad  :-/

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 10:58:03 PM »

Aaaaah! This thread title is killing me! It should read "Where do your political beliefs lie?".

Now that I've said that...

I would say that I am a very liberal person with a few viewpoints that are right-leaning. For instance, I am in favour of gay marriage but not Sunday shopping. I am in favour of a woman's right to choose but I personally feel that abortion is wrong.

I know everyone says "I was so much more liberal when I was younger..." but honestly I don't think I'll become right-leaning when I'm older. I was raised in a pretty darn liberal household. Honestly, my parents would be more upset if I told them I failed a class than if I told them I was a lesbian.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 12:49:12 AM »

why not shopping on sunday? counldn't it be not shopping oon saturday? i love to do my shopping on sundays!!!
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »

Well, for several reasons:

-If big grocery stores/department stores are open on Sundays, it will be detrimental to small convenience stores
-People who are willing to work on Sundays get hired over people who aren't
-Isn't the world materialistic enough? Can't we just have ONE DAY where we can't go out and spend like crazy?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »

Quote from: 218
Can't we just have ONE DAY where we can't go out and spend like crazy?

You mean there's actually a place where there isn't shopping on Sunday? I think one of my credit cards just had a stroke.

(teeth1)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 10:23:32 PM »

Well, that's the way it used to be, in Nova Scotia. But in October of 2006 our Premier decided to instate Sunday shopping even though we had held a province-wide consensus and the majority voted against it. Now there's shopping every day, even holidays like Christmas and Mother's Day. The only day when we don't have shopping is Remembrance day.

It's pretty sad, if you ask me.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »

I'm a liberal Democrat.  I'm very socially progressive (pro-choice, pro-gay marriage).  I do take a more moderate approach to a couple social issues (I mildly support the death penalty, but it should be as rare as humanly possible.  For people with no conscience, like sociopaths, or people that wanted to kill "to feel what killing is like," then I'd support the death penalty, but even then, life in prison may be just as bad or worse).  In economics, I consider myself to the left, though I'm not really sure how far when it all comes down to it.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »

Hey there Frightwolf! Haven't seen you in a while.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 10:09:07 AM »

Quote from: 356
But being left/right winged has a different meaning in various countries.

Right. I have the feeling that some Americans see the Democrats vs. the Republics as left vs. right, but for Dutch political standards that's more like moderate right vs. far right...

It all depends on the context, of course. For instance, in the eyes of the world, Che Guevara and Fidel Castro were as left wing as they got. But if you're a Cuban in 2008 and you're pro-Castro, you're conservative... While if you're anti-Castro, some people will probably think you're unpatriotic...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »

Quote from: 1161

You mean there's actually a place where there isn't shopping on Sunday? I think one of my credit cards just had a stroke.

(teeth1)

Copenhagen! Coming from England, where everything is open seven days a week, I find it a right royal pain in the ar*se.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »

Quote from: 56
I have the feeling that some Americans see the Democrats vs. the Republics as left vs. right, but for Dutch political standards that's more like moderate right vs. far right...
Thanks for that perspective, Joost. I'm obviously much more "left" than most of my countrymen. For example, I have a "Democratic" senator now, with whom I disagree at least 70% of the time. The Republican I used to have I disagreed with 98% of the time. I feel neither of them represents my viewpoints regarding environmental or social responsibility.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »

Quote from: 483
Copenhagen! Coming from England, where everything is open seven days a week, I find it a right royal pain in the ar*se.

I'm used to things being open 24/7. I'm the sort of guy who'll go grocery shopping at about one o'clock in the morning because that's about the time I'll get hungry and discover there's nothing in my fridge except for four strawberries and an ounce or two of orange juice. If I'd had to wait for morning for something to open I'd have been arrested by now for hunting squirrels.

yavanna

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 06:04:52 PM »

Quote from: 1161

I'm used to things being open 24/7. I'm the sort of guy who'll go grocery shopping at about one o'clock in the morning because that's about the time I'll get hungry and discover there's nothing in my fridge except for four strawberries and an ounce or two of orange juice. If I'd had to wait for morning for something to open I'd have been arrested by now for hunting squirrels.

The squirrels are lucky you don't live in Germany  ;D
No shopping on sundays and between 10 pm and I think 6 am.

Exception is petrol stations, but they are expensive.
If the sun has faded away
I'll try to make it shine

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »

Quote from: 1116
The squirrels are lucky you don't live in Germany.

Actually, I'm probably lucky: me with a gun is like Wile E Coyote with a stick of dynamite.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 67 queries.