Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: The Doors  (Read 26737 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Doors
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »

I like the Doors and consider them to be great, a unique contribution to rock. And besides Jim Morrison is a rock-icon, isn`t he? I haven`t heard all their songs but a lot. And some are outstanding. Could you remind me what he died of, it was heartattack, wasn`t it?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »

Quote from: 1393
I like the Doors and consider them to be great, a unique contribution to rock. And besides Jim Morrison is a rock-icon, isn`t he? I haven`t heard all their songs but a lot. And some are outstanding. Could you remind me what he died of, it was heartattack, wasn`t it?

That's what in his death certificate, yeah. But since there was no autopsy we'll never know for sure. It has been reported that Jim and his girlfriend used heroin that night, so it could've been an overdose.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 06:50:21 PM »

A funny thing that I read in a book about Jim Morrison:

The Doors' drummer John Densmore got some sort of rash on his upper legs shortly after he joined the band. He went to a doctor who told him that it was caused by stress. The rash didn't dissapear until a week after Morrison's death and never returned since. So it's probably safe to say that Jim could really be a pain in the ass...  ;D

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »

Scott Stapp?  Scott Weiland?  Blowhards.

Morrison's poetry?  Overrated.

The Stones?  Aftermath came out in 1966 -- the Doors were unknowns then.  I don't think the Doors had much impact on the Stones.  It could have been the other way around.

However, I am actually a Doors fan, despite those statements.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2008, 12:29:20 AM »

Quote from: 56

That's what in his death certificate, yeah. But since there was no autopsy we'll never know for sure. It has been reported that Jim and his girlfriend used heroin that night, so it could've been an overdose.

Recently it's been reported that Jim overdosed at a popular club in Paris. Marianne Faithfull was there that night but won't talk. That girl has a lot of stories in her. I wish she'd write a tell all book! Although she'd come out looking horrible so I guess that's not gonna happen.

Here's the story:
Club manager tells his version of Jim Morrison's death

By Angela Doland

The Associated Press

Former Paris nightclub manager Sam Bernett describes Doors singer Jim Morrison's death. No autopsy was ever performed.

PARIS

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2008, 12:32:30 AM »

Quote from: 1333
Scott Stapp?  Scott Weiland?  Blowhards.

Morrison's poetry?  Overrated.

The Stones?  Aftermath came out in 1966 -- the Doors were unknowns then.  I don't think the Doors had much impact on the Stones.  It could have been the other way around.

However, I am actually a Doors fan, despite those statements.

Stapp and Weiland are blow hards, but there were plenty that weren't, the poetry thing is subjective, but you do make a good point about the Stones.  :)

No, the Doors don't appear to be hugely influential, but you really couldn't say their influence was minuscule. It's hard to tell with a band like them. Their influence is not the type than can be easily heard. It's not as obvious. Artists take different things from different bands. But there is no doubt in my mind that there are many bands influenced by them. Or by Jim. Not on Beatles level of course, but then who is?? But again, emulating another bands sound isn't the only type of influence. Now that I think of it, I don't think there's another band that sounds like the Doors. They are very unique. That says something for them I think. Not sure what though!  ;)

Also, I don't know how the music scene was back then, but I think bands were aware of other bands before the rest of us. Didn't one of the Stones' girlfriends find Hendrix in a NY club before anyone knew who he was? I'm sure they all hung out at clubs where it was happening. The Whiskey being one of them. These bands most certainly frequented the Sunset Strip where the Doors were staples. The Doors started in 1965 so who knows. But the reviewer wasn't saying it as fact anyway. Just speculating. So probably you're correct.

I was hearing a lot of Doors music on the radio the last few days. I forgot, it was the anniversary of his death. Weird that his birthday is on the date Lennon was killed. I always forget that too.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2008, 07:39:30 AM »

Yeah, I posed the question "How influential is Jim Morrison/the Doors REALLY?" to see what response would come.  As much as I respect their music, I think the Doors are more influential due to the persona of Jim Morrison.  He was a bigger-than-life character and certainly many frontmen of up-and-coming rock bands looked to him as the ideal.

He was truly a great figure in rock and roll.  But I also think that his death saved his reputation -- had he not died in '71, where would he have been in '73, or '75?  I think he'd have been forgotten, like Sly Stone is.

Jim Morrison has the same birthday as John Lennon?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2008, 07:40:17 AM »

Sandra, the nightclub theory you mentioned was also mentioned in the "Final 24" episode about Jim Morrison on Discovery Channel. So who knows... Despite his extremely unhealthy lifestyle and despite the fact that even 27 years olds can drop dead all of a sudden for no apparent reason, I always found it hard to believe that he just had a heart attack in his bath tub... Something about the story just doesn't seem right.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »

Jim Morrison has the same birthday as John Lennon?

Oops. I meant born on the same date that Lennon died. December 8th.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »

Quote from: 56
Sandra, the nightclub theory you mentioned was also mentioned in the "Final 24" episode about Jim Morrison on Discovery Channel. So who knows... Despite his extremely unhealthy lifestyle and despite the fact that even 27 years olds can drop dead all of a sudden for no apparent reason, I always found it hard to believe that he just had a heart attack in his bath tub... Something about the story just doesn't seem right.

I don't believe the heart attack story for a minute. Unless the heart attack was brought on by drugs. It's just way too suspicious. No one to confirm anything, everyone present at the time is dead. Just too weird. The night club story however sounds very plausible. And why won't Marianne Faithfull comment on it? She won't say a word. That in itself is suspect. God only knows what goes on in their world. We have no idea really.

BTW, him being found in a bathtub is enough of a sign being a means of reviving those who have had a drug overdose.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2008, 08:36:27 AM »

No Doors, No INXS.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »

Quote from: 15
No Doors, No INXS.

I don't think the absence of INXS in the world would have been a huge loss.

Sorry Hutchence fans.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2008, 07:44:08 PM »

Morrison`s heartattack seems to have been brought on by alcohol. He drank like no other man.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2008, 07:56:14 PM »

and dropped acid like jimi......he drank like janice.......and weeded like marley.... ;D

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »

Quote from: 284
and dropped acid like jimi......he drank like janice.......and weeded like marley.... ;D

Your just asking for it now!
<br />

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2008, 10:53:42 PM »

give till it hurts!!!!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2008, 10:57:43 PM »

ok where as he was a great imagery poet he was a lousy human being....and i can assure you no american indian shaman posessed mr mojo that day long ago...

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2008, 11:21:18 PM »

I don't think the absence of INXS in the world would have been a huge loss.

Sorry Hutchence fans.

I agree but Hutchence got it all from somewhere and he was pretty hot property himself whether you dig him or not....I actually thought Kick was not a bad album (Huge at the time) but I did'nt get into much else from them.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 01:08:01 AM »

Quote from: 216
I don't believe the heart attack story for a minute. Unless the heart attack was brought on by drugs. It's just way too suspicious.

I can't prove anything either, but the OD theory sounds more plausible to me than the heart attack story: he was only 27. But that's only a guess on my part, based on nothing.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2008, 01:27:12 AM »

Quote from: 1161

I can't prove anything either, but the OD theory sounds more plausible to me than the heart attack story: he was only 27. But that's only a guess on my part, based on nothing.

Too many drugs ... Heart stops ... heart failure ... heart attack. It's all the same, whether from cholesterol-clogged arteries at 65 years old, or coronary artery spasm or narcotic myocardial suppression at 27. Drugs can kill, and they often do.

John Belushi, John Entwhistle, Brian Jones, Keith Moon (yes, alcohol is a drug!), Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Richard*, the list goes on. How much more great music would there have been ...   :'(

* Yes, folks, it's well known among the cognoscenti, he actually died long ago. His appearances now are entirely faked, like a high tech "Weekend at Bernie's" sort of thing.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 82 queries.