Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Who wrote the better songs on Sgt. Pepper? John or Paul?  (Read 20696 times)

NowhereMan28

• One And One Is Two
Who wrote the better songs on Sgt. Pepper? John or Paul?
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »

I personally feel that even though the album was pretty much "Paul's baby" as John said, John wrote the better songs on it, and that's including the Strawberry Fields single (which was supposed to be on the album). A Day In The Life, Strawberry Fields Forever, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite, these are all MUCH better songs than Sgt. Pepper/Reprise, Fixing A Hole, Getting Better, LOVELY RITA (album filler), She's Leaving Home, Penny Lane. Although Paul had already become the dominant write of the albums since Revolver, John was still the one writing better songs even if he had given up leadership duties or "gotten bored" with the group.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Who wrote the better songs on Sgt. Pepper? John or Paul?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »

I'd say they were kind of even. Though, leaving objectivism aside, I prefer Paul's songs. In my opinion, there isn't any song John wrote for Pepper's that can top 'She's Leaving Home'. 'Fixing A Hole', 'Penny Lane' and 'Lovely Rita' are another three Paul gems that I tend to prefer over John's songs.

One thing is for sure though, both Paul and John were at the top of their game in '67. Saying which one was better depends strictly on each's personal preferences, which in my case, is Paul.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Keep them posts coming! ;)
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

NowhereMan28

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »

I guess that's why some people are "John people" and some people are "Paul people" lol...I have been listening to alot of Paul's solo stuff more recently. For a long time I had ignored it and thought it was too much fluff or corny. However, im EAGERLY awaiting his new album Kisses on the Bottom! I have it on pre-order on iTunes. and THANK YOU for the welcome ! =)

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »

A Day In The Life is co-written. SFF was not on the album. Those two doesn't count. I personally always skip Mr Kite. Never liked it. Good Morning Good Morning is not a strong song either imho. Leaves us with Lucy as the one and only song that really matters coming from John alone for Sgt. Peppers. Indeed, I prefer Pauls songs on the album.

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »

For me, Johns songs are what make the album compelling, mystical and magical. He was at his most creative in this period.

I absolutely love A Day In The Life (yes I Know Paul wrote the middle 8) hauntingly brilliant, those words are what made John a genius, same with Lucy, who else could write lyrics like that ? a song describing an LSD trip - a classic!

Mr Kite carries this on, a story about a strange circus with very strange characters, this song for me is like a painting, it triggers visions and feelings of another world of fantasy and imagination.

Good Morning is brilliant IMO,  its one of the strangest pop songs you'll ever hear, strange time signatures, words about everyday life, why the animal noises at the end, LOL

As for Pauls I love Rita plus the brilliant title track and Ringo's, so he gets 3 hits for me, not too fussed on the others he wrote for the album, full marks to Paul though for the concept.

NowhereMan28

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »

Bobber, I wouldn't say A Day In The Life was truly "co-written". John needed a SMALL piece to fill the gap between Mal Evans counting and where they were going to put the orchestra arrangement. That is a very small contribution to a song. The whole concept and lyrics/music of the song were written or created by John. Although Paul does deserve points for conducting the orchestra with George Martin! And Strawberry Fields MOST CERTAINLY does count because they were intended for the album and only released as a single after pressure from EMI and Brian Epstein to release one! George Martin has called this the "biggest mistake" of his career! You can argue that Strawberry Fields was a stronger than ANYTHING on Pepper. There are some fluff album fillers on Pepper from Paul. When I'm 64/Lovely Rita comes to mind. Also, With A Little Help From My Friends was almost entirely co-written word for word and musically at home before John and Paul got to the studio to record it. That song was co-written more so than A Day In The Life. The whole idea of the fictional band performing instead of the Beatles was Paul's idea, after John's original idea of growing up/nostalgia theme of Liverpool was already used on the single.

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »

That's pretty ridiculous. You're assuming that the Mal Evans part counting was already there. Haha! A Day In The Life is at best a little song without the Paul McCartney middle part. It is not a  'very small contribution to a song', it is an essential part of this song. It is plain nonsense that the whole concept, lyrics and music of A Day In The Life was written solely by John Lennon. You suggesting that he did shows me you need to do some homework.

Strawberry Fields Forever is not on Sgt. Pepper. Period. Yes, I know the story behind it, but it's a fact this song is not on the album.

What you call fillers are the best songs to other fans. Personally I regard Lovely Rita to be one of the better songs on the album.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

Sgt Pepper's was very much Paul's "baby", and personally speaking I like his songs on the album best, including ADITL which was co-written.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »

Some people think John's songs are better and some people think Paul's songs are better.

My favorite song on that album is Fixing A Hole.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »

Some people think John's songs are better and some people think Paul's songs are better.

Yes I was just thinking as I read this thread that its actually quite pointless 

We all like what we like

I went on an Pink Floyd forum once and it was mostly sqaublling between the Roger waters fans and the David Gilmour fans, I lasted about 5 minutes on there and just thought, surely there are more important things in life  ha2ha

The point is, it doesnt matter who wrote the best songs, its The most celebrated Beatle album and its fecking great  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »

Yes I was just thinking as I read this thread that its actually quite pointless 

We all like what we like

I went on an Pink Floyd forum once and it was mostly sqaublling between the Roger waters fans and the David Gilmour fans, I lasted about 5 minutes on there and just thought, surely there are more important things in life  ha2ha

The point is, it doesnt matter who wrote the best songs, its The most celebrated Beatle album and its fecking great  ;D

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong
I'm right where I belong
I'm right where I belong

I can stay till it's time to go

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 04:18:07 AM »

You can't put Strawberry or Penny Lane on Sgt. Pepper because they weren't on there and we all know what Martin said.
You also can't put Imagine on Abbey Road as it was going to be if it were finished.
However, I think this is a great poll!
I think this is one of the few albums Paul was better than John, but only barely.

KelMar

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 04:23:05 AM »

Mr Kite carries this on, a story about a strange circus with very strange characters, this song for me is like a painting, it triggers visions and feelings of another world of fantasy and imagination.

That song is like a feast for the ears, especially now that I have the right headphones.

why the animal noises at the end, LOL

My dogs like that part. They also like that sound that John put in at the end of the album for them.  ;D

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 06:10:52 AM »

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong
I'm right where I belong
I'm right where I belong

;)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

NowhereMan28

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »

I never said that I didn't like Pauls songs on the album cuz I do. I'm just saying that they were not as critically acclaimed universally as the Lennon songs were! And I will still maintain that A Day In The Life was 85% Lennon's / 15% McCartney ! I read in an article that Paul was really trying to keep up with Lennon's creativity. He said John came in with Strawberry Fields at the first session and he along with everyone else was floored. Then he introduced the Pepper theme and his songs, but John came out on top and toppled everyone including their competitors like Brian Wilson with Day In The Life.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »

I never said that I didn't like Pauls songs on the album cuz I do. I'm just saying that they were not as critically acclaimed universally as the Lennon songs were! And I will still maintain that A Day In The Life was 85% Lennon's / 15% McCartney ! I read in an article that Paul was really trying to keep up with Lennon's creativity. He said John came in with Strawberry Fields at the first session and he along with everyone else was floored. Then he introduced the Pepper theme and his songs, but John came out on top and toppled everyone including their competitors like Brian Wilson with Day In The Life.

From what I know, Brian was a big fan of 'She's Leaving Home'. Isn't that the story? Just saying... :)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »

I read in an article that Paul was really trying to keep up with Lennon's creativity.

I think from '65 on, both John and Paul were trying to keep up with each other's creativity.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »

I'd call it a split. They were both in great form.

I like George's tune, too.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:53:04 AM »

who did the aaahhhs on a day in the life?  roll:)

nimrod

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »

I'd call it a split. They were both in great form.

I like George's tune, too.

:)

I agree Klang, all the band deserve big credit for a completely classic album, I think its wrong to start saying his songs were better than his etc, lets just celebrate one of the best albums ever made.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.72 seconds with 83 queries.