Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Music That Leaves You Cold  (Read 7430 times)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Music That Leaves You Cold
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »

I grew up with country - my dad was a pro guitarist in that genre - and I really like the older style stuff. The lines blur between classic country, country swing, rockabilly, etc. All that certainly influenced The Beatles too. Today's slick, poppy stuff doesn't interest me much, with a few exceptions. For example, Brad Paisley is a kick-ass guitarist and overall fine performer. There are others. Mostly I like those who revive the old school style, like Junior Brown.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »

But he did let Lynn try!

http://youtu.be/gjsCSm_9oW4

She did all right. :)

She did all right, all right!  But it was the other way around.  Lynn Anderson let Johnny Cash try it.  She recorded I've Been Everywhere in 1968, three years before that performance on The Johnny Cash Show....

http://youtu.be/NlA0uDgPIeA

http://youtu.be/9fyMAVFHq5Y

Johnny Cash needed cue cards and several breaths to sing his verse.  But he got it right in 1996 when he recorded the version I posted originally.

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »

I've Been Everywhere was written by Australian country singer Geoff Mack in 1959 and was made popular by Lucky Starr in 1962...

http://youtu.be/mvBpLbNik_U

Hank Snow adopted it for North America later that year and had a #1 US Country hit with it...

http://youtu.be/9kGHmIZ4IUY

KelMar

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »

She did all right, all right!  But it was the other way around.  Lynn Anderson let Johnny Cash try it.  She recorded I've Been Everywhere in 1968, three years before that performance on The Johnny Cash Show....

Oh! I thought Johnny was first. I did see that video of Lynn Anderson on The Lawrence Welk show earlier and she made it look so easy! I'll have to check out the Lucky Starr and Hank Snow versions later. (Did Lucky adopt the last name first or did Ringo? Hmm..)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2015, 12:05:43 AM »

An' you can also check out this'n here Texas version, m'am...

http://youtu.be/kwIOkp365PU?list=RDkwIOkp365PU

Shiyoot, they's even an India version...

http://youtu.be/6X0aDLDkOik

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2015, 07:09:11 PM »

You know what type of music leaves me cold? That acoustic breathy indie music that's so popular right now.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

KelMar

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2015, 05:18:05 AM »

An' you can also check out this'n here Texas version, m'am...

Shiyoot, they's even an India version...

Wee-ee doggies that was fun Barry! But now I'm plum tuckered from bein' everywhere with those folks.

Hank Snow adopted it for North America later that year and had a #1 US Country hit with it

It's a good thing he did that adapting because I don't think North American was ready to hear about someone humpin' their bluey!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »

You know what type of music leaves me cold? That acoustic breathy indie music that's so popular right now.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2015, 06:14:38 AM »

Wee-ee doggies that was fun Barry! But now I'm plum tuckered from bein' everywhere with those folks.

Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota, Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma, Bangor, Baltimore, El Salvador, Amarillo, Tocopilla, Barranquilla and Padilla.

Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana, Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana, Monterey, Ferriday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa, Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa, Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake, Grand Lake, Devils Lake and Crater Lake.

Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika, Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica, Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport, Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport, Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina, Pasadena and Catalina.

Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado, Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, El Dorado, Larimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chattanooga, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika, Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City and Dodge City.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2015, 12:25:11 PM »

Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota, Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma, Bangor, Baltimore, El Salvador, Amarillo, Tocopilla, Barranquilla and Padilla.

Can you guess where I'm from?  icon_good
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

KelMar

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »

Can you guess where I'm from?  icon_good

Barranquilla?

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2015, 05:07:10 PM »

The obvious (to me anyway) choices; stuff like rap, acid house, techno, trance etc are all ruled out for me by the thread title which asks for MUSIC which leaves us cold, and by my definition, if you can't whistle it, it's not music, it's "noise". What's that relentless, repetitive thudding racket you hear coming out of boy racers cars when they have the windows down? Is it drum 'n' bass? surely that's only played in order to induce a headache. Why would you want a headache?

So anyway, concentrating instead on music; I agree with Ovi who finds it hard to dismiss an entire genre, even if certain key performers within that oeuvre are a turn off. Most styles have at least one or two exponents who are palatable. The instant example I would have given would be Country music, which I generally dislike....except for the magnificent Johnny Cash, the exception that proves the rule. But that specific seam has been mined exhaustively over the previous dozen or so posts on this thread.

If I had to come up with one scene which leaves me utterly cold in its entirety, it would be the dreadful 70s North London/Essex "Pub Rock"... all that grubby, down at heel, amateurish (in attitude if not musicianship) crap like Dr Feelgood, Ian Dury, Joe Strummer et al with their fuzzy guitars and flat, whiny vocals. The sort of thing that would get booed off The Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club and ruined many a good pint. It spawned Punk which quickly rounded on its progenitor and thankfully blew it into oblivion in its own nihilistic manner. Not that I'm a punk fan - far from it - but it did at least throw up some colourful characters, the odd appealing single and a welcome burst of energy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 66 queries.