Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How Many Of The Best-Selling Albums Of All Time Do You Actually Like?  (Read 10235 times)

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
Re: How Many Of The Best-Selling Albums Of All Time Do You Actually Like?
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 03:19:08 AM »

The nature of huge selling albums is that the very last word I'd personally use in a description of a list of them is 'eclectic'.
'Bland' yes, 'safe' yes, 'crossing genres' (and that's the real key with stuff like 'Thriller') yes.....'eclectic' no.

I used the term "eclectic" relative to the list because it includes LPs from the various genres of pop, pop-rock, country, country-pop, country-rock, grunge, hard rock, etc.  Not everyone who likes the Eagles or Shania Twain also likes Nirvana but I happen to enjoy listening to all three.  That's all I meant by it.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »

I used the term "eclectic" relative to the list because it includes LPs from the various genres of pop, pop-rock, country, country-pop, country-rock, grunge, hard rock, etc.  Not everyone who likes the Eagles or Shania Twain also likes Nirvana but I happen to enjoy listening to all three.  That's all I meant by it.

You do indeed have eclectic taste in music.  :)   I'd be interested in seeing your list, too.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

A list of huge selling, largely American, largely MTV endorsed/promoted, albums still does not constitute eclectic in my book.
It's surely the polar opposite.

I reckon that if you were blindfolded and picked the first 100 CDs in HMV (unless they were doing a deal on these exact CDs!) you could not help but come out with a more eclectic selection.
You'd have a classical album, maybe a folk album, maybe a blues album, a ska album, a rock 'n' roll album, something in another language etc. etc.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »

Nah, the list is eclectic. It jumps from pop to raggae to hard rock to punk to hip-hop to disco to singer-songwriter to metal to country to dance to grunge and so on. The fact that you think they're all crap except The Beatles doesn't change that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:05:12 PM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

KelMar

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2014, 01:09:57 AM »

I used the term "eclectic" relative to the list. That's all I meant by it.

I think "eclectic" is a perfectly fine word to use here Fab4Fan. Anyway, people shouldn't get too hung up on words. There's always subjective feelings attached to them. Take the word "hot" for instance. One person might say "Boy, it's really hot out" and head out for the beach. If I said that I would want to head into the air conditioning. Same word; different feelings.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 42 queries.