Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Titanic Picture (Oh Kathy.....!)  (Read 8909 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Titanic Picture (Oh Kathy.....!)
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »

This series of coincidences really is amazing. I tried to tell my daughter about it but she already knew. That happens way too often!

I know exactly what you mean, Kelley! My children seem to take particular delight in informing me that they already know about some certain fact or event.  :)  Maybe your daughter doesn't know this: that Robertson also allegedly foretold the atomic bomb. I read somewhere that he wrote a story about a "sun bomb" that had many similarities to the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

What do you think, Kathleen?

I wasn't sure if you were joking or serious, Barry, but in my (decidedly non-expert) opinion, I not sure there ever was a mystery ship. I can't cite any quotes from books or researchers specifically, but from what I've read that notion has been generally dismissed because of a lack of proof. There were so many conflicting accounts of that night that blatantly contradicted each other, though. I just finished a book (George Behe again) that included every piece of correspondence sent from the ship in the day or so before sailing, during the short voyage, and afterward (both on board the Carpathia and from NYC). I was shocked to notice how so many survivors described vastly different accounts of the night's events.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 02:14:38 AM »

I wasn't sure if you were joking or serious, Barry, but in my (decidedly non-expert) opinion, I not sure there ever was a mystery ship. I can't cite any quotes from books or researchers specifically, but from what I've read that notion has been generally dismissed because of a lack of proof. There were so many conflicting accounts of that night that blatantly contradicted each other, though. I just finished a book (George Behe again) that included every piece of correspondence sent from the ship in the day or so before sailing, during the short voyage, and afterward (both on board the Carpathia and from NYC). I was shocked to notice how so many survivors described vastly different accounts of the night's events.

I was serious, Kathleen.  I just tossed the Blues Image song in because it had those allegorical lyrics.

Those survivors out at sea on a dark, moonless night might have mistaken a bright star or planet close to the horizon for a ship.  Shock and fear only serve to heighten visual stimuli.

I read Walter Lord's book when I was in sixth grade.  Yes, it was an easy read and I remember reading it cover-to-cover in one sitting and then writing a book report.  I was impressed with the heroism and gallantry exhibited by some of the passengers and crew.  I was very naïve and impressionable at age eleven.  As I got older I grew to recognize the carelessness and stupidity of Captain Edward John Smith and Joseph Bruce Ismay.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 01:01:30 AM »

Didn't Lord and other crew members of the Californian testify they saw another ship though?  To be truthful though, they could have been making up the story just to cover their butts for being negligent.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 02:52:49 AM »

Didn't Lord and other crew members of the Californian testify they saw another ship though?  To be truthful though, they could have been making up the story just to cover their butts for being negligent.

I think you are right, Todd, and I'm not sure whether anybody else reported seeing another ship. I am racing to meet a deadline right now but will look through my books tomorrow and see if I can find an answer. I definitely remember reading about it, it just seems like that theory petered out shortly after the sinking.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 12:37:09 PM »

I just got another reminder of how far behind on work I am, so I haven't yet been able to check out my books in regard to the "mystery ship," but you might find this article interesting, Todd. It's actually a review of a book written by Senan Molony in which he states it was likely the Mount Temple. If you follow any of the links given in the article, or even Google "Titanic mystery ship," you'll get tons of results.

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-scandal-by-senan-molony-review.html

Sorry I couldn't be of more specific help.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 11:25:40 PM »

Cool article.  See I'm a wee bit confused though.  I thought the 'Mystery Ship' was seen by the Californian and not the Titanic (if the Titanic saw a ship, it was probably the Californian).  Lord said the ship was only 4 miles away from them when they saw it and they could see the ship in pretty good detail.  He said it was definitely not the Titanic.  It had stopped for some time and then left.

"So, then, I gave him instructions to let the Titanic know. I said, "This is not the Titanic; there is no doubt about it." She came and lay at half past 11, alongside of us until, I suppose, a quarter past, within 4 miles of us. We could see everything on her quite distinctly, see her lights. We signaled her, at half past 11, with the Morse lamp. She did not take the slightest notice of it. That was between half past 11 and 20 minutes to 12. We signaled her again at 10 minutes past 12, half past 12, a quarter to 1 o'clock. We have a very powerful Morse lamp. I suppose you can see that about 10 miles, and she was about 4 miles off, and she did not take the slightest notice of it. When the second officer came on the bridge, at 12 o'clock, or 10 minutes past 12, I told him to watch that steamer, which was stopped, and I pointed out the ice to him; told him we were surrounded by ice; to watch the steamer that she did not get any closer to her. At 20 minutes to 1 I whistled up the speaking tube and asked him if she was getting any nearer. He said, "No; she is not taking any notice of us." So, I said "I will go and lie down a bit." At a quarter past he said, "I think she has fired a rocket." He said, "She did not answer the Morse lamp and she has commenced to go away from us." I said, "Call her up and let me know at once what her name is. So, he put the whistle back, and, apparently, he was calling. I could hear him ticking over my head. Then l went to sleep."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 11:33:02 PM »

Maybe it was Mount Temple.  There was another story that it was the Sampson which was out doing some illegal seal hunting, but that later got dismissed because there were some records showing that it was docked for repairs at the time.  True or false?  Who knows.  There's controversy over that as well.  We'll never know.

KelMar

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 03:13:04 AM »

Titanic: Never Before Seen Rescue Photos

Since this article is from 2011 the title is not accurate in the strictest sense. For me though it was.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »

Interesting, Kelley; thanks for sharing. There have been a spate of Titanic specials on the History Channel of late, and I didn't realize why until today: The wreck was found 30 years ago this month (the 3rd, I believe).

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:57:21 PM by Normandie »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »

Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh; I just found and ordered it from an independent seller on Amazon! I've been checking used-book sites for years with no luck, and even contacted George himself several years ago.

Kelley, I owe you a huge debt of thanks for posting that picture, which eventually led me to re-check on this book. Mr. Mustard, I owe you a debt of thanks, too!

I'm going to go finish hyperventilating now.  ha2ha

I am getting OLD. After getting wildly excited about finding and ordering this book, I completely forgot about it! This has been such a horrible week -- one of those weeks when literally everything seems to go wrong -- that I've been completely distracted. My daughter brought the mail in last night and said "Mom, you got a book." I was like "What? I didn't order any book!"   ha2ha   Then I opened it and started flipping out again. My daughter was actually startled when I gasped after remembering. I think she thought it was a mail bomb, or a packet of anthrax, or something.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:18:24 PM by Normandie »

KelMar

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »

I am getting OLD. After getting wildly excited about finding and ordering this book, I completely forgot about it! This has been such a horrible week -- one of those weeks when literally everything seems to go wrong -- that I've been completely distracted. My daughter brought the mail in last night and said "Mom, you got a book." I was like "What? I didn't order any book!"   ha2ha   Then I opened it and started flipping out again. My daughter was actually startled when I gasped after remembering. I think she thought it was a mail bomb, or a packet of anthrax, or something.

Kathy, you sound so much like me it should scare you. LOL But I'm glad you had such a nice surprise.  ;) And I hope next week is better. Yesterday was my day from hell, at least in terms of technology at work. It fought me tooth and nail, all day. Then this morning it was a credit card snafu to sort out. I'm ready for a weekend!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »

^^^^

Sounds like you and I had similar "weeks from hell," Kelley!  I hope your weekend is relaxing.   :)

KelMar

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2015, 09:52:29 PM »

Things are looking up! I had my own book induced hyperventilation episode last night. I guess that's not really relaxing but it made me happy to discover that I don't have to wait until January to get this book like I thought:

It's on its way and hopefully I'll forget I ordered it because I love surprises! ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 62 queries.