Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Album with best Harrison song(s)?  (Read 14233 times)

Bobber

Re: Album with best Harrison song(s)?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 07:46:18 PM »

I don't believe they made the selection of George's song without George had told them what songs he wanted on. Moreover, if George thought it was important he should have been there, I'm sure he would have. He choose not to.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »

Quote from: 63
I don't believe they made the selection of George's song without George had told them what songs he wanted on. Moreover, if George thought it was important he should have been there, I'm sure he would have. He choose not to.

I don't know the "behind the scenes" of that day but maybe George was tired of the whole thing by that time ... the tension and all that. If George would have been told that he could choose only 4 of his songs I could understand that he could feel that he was not needed that day ... but it would be a cruel thing to be said (to him, I mean) ... and that doesn't mean that it's an impossible thing: they were quite cruel ... George could feel that Not Guilty was not recorded properly (John felt the same about his Across The Universe) and Sour Milk Sea was given away too soon[size=9](not a good decision, in my opinion)[/size] ... to Jackie Lomax, precisely!!! So, being true to themshelves they didn't recorded it :-/ ...

"June 24, 1968

Abbey Road. George began work as a producer, recording 'Sour Milk Sea' with new Apple signing, Jackie Lomax, an old friend from Liverpool."

from the same web: http://wingspan.ru/bookseng/diary/m12_1968.html

Bobber

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 08:13:23 PM »

If if if. There's a lot of speculation in your previous post. We don't really know. True, we don't know the 'behind the scenes' of that time.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »

Not so many, I think  ;):

- George was tired of the whole thing by that time ... the tension and all that.

Tired [size=9](or called whatever you want it) [/size]but he said something like that ... that he was happier recording with others and producing albums by late 1968 ...

- If George would have been told that he could choose only 4 of his songs I could understand that he could feel that he was not needed that day ...

This is the other possible explanation (speculation?) I can think of to explain why he was flying to Los Angeles that day ... because if not why he did that?  ??)

- George could feel that Not Guilty was not recorded properly (John felt the same about his Across The Universe)

Yes, I admit that this point of view (mine) is speculation  ;)

- Sour Milk Sea was given away too soon [size=9](not a good decision, in my opinion)[/size] ... to Jackie Lomax, precisely!!! So, being true to themshelves they didn't recorded it :-/ ...

Well, this point is just facts  :) ...

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 08:46:10 PM »

Quote from: 297
If George would have been told that he could choose only 4 of his songs I could understand that he could feel that he was not needed that day ...

This is the other possible explanation (speculation?) I can think of to explain why he was flying to Los Angeles that day ... because if not why he did that?  ??)
Another perfectly reasonable explanation is that George had the studio time booked then and had to fly out to LA. These guys often worked against competing deadlines, and George was very conscious of the money he was wasting in the studio if he didn't show up (these tales are recorded elsewhere).

I don't know if George was up against a hard deadline for Jackie's work, but I could easily believe it, particularly as the White Album appeared to be running past schedule.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 09:00:13 PM »

^Yes, I thought about "studio time booked" too but I thought too that, since those sessions for the Jackie Lomax album began at least in June, probably his deadline (he was an Apple act then) was not a hard one ... The Guys's album, on the other hand  ::) ... but I know nothing about that day and the reasons George had ... when we haven't got data everything are speckulations ...

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »

... Not Guilty and Sour Milk Sea replacing Piggies and Savoy Truffle and you improve his contribution!

But I totally agree Raxo!! ;)
Sour Milk Sea is one of George's best 'unreleased' songs!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »

Quote from: 614
But I totally agree Raxo!! ;)
Sour Milk Sea is one of George's best 'unreleased' songs!
:) ... even in its demo form sounds great!!! Good rock! ;)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 11:20:25 PM »

I know nothing about that day and the reasons George had ... when we haven't got data everything are speculations ...
Yeah, where are all these press that are supposed to be hounding the guys? Why did they fail us so badly? At the very least somebody could have put radio collars on the guys with built-in microphones and perhaps planted a microchip at the base of their brains...  ;D
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 11:25:20 PM »

Quote from: 551
Yeah, where are all these press that are supposed to be hounding the guys? Why did they fail us so badly? At the very least somebody could have put radio collars on the guys with built-in microphones and perhaps planted a microchip at the base of their brains...  ;D
I would have seconded that!!!  That surely would have stopped all the speckulations!;D

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2007, 11:35:24 PM »

There are no other forums quite like this one, that's for sure. (wink2)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2007, 11:38:04 PM »

Quote from: 687
There are no other forums quite like this one, that's for sure. (wink2)

... never forget it! ;D

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2007, 11:59:43 PM »

how could I?  ::)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 12:06:04 AM »

Quote from: 687
how could I?  ::)

Probably with the time ... but I'm sure you won't!  ;)

Bobber

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 07:18:01 PM »

- Sour Milk Sea was given away too soon [size=9](not a good decision, in my opinion)[/size] ... to Jackie Lomax, precisely!!! So, being true to themshelves they didn't recorded it :-/ ...

Well, this point is just facts  :) ...

It is a fact it was given away. Too soon? I'd rather say too late. And they had recorded songs that they had given away before.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 07:37:04 PM »

It is a fact it was given away. Too soon? I'd rather say too late. [...]

Were are the speculations there then?
Too late? Why? I think that too soon because they demoed it at the end of May and George was producing it a month later.
[...]
"June 24, 1968

Abbey Road. George began work as a producer, recording 'Sour Milk Sea' with new Apple signing, Jackie Lomax, an old friend from Liverpool."

from the same web: http://wingspan.ru/bookseng/diary/m12_1968.html

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (for example) took a lot of time to be on tape ... he had to demoed again in the studio before the rest of them joined ...
[...] And they had recorded songs that they had given away before.

Of course, a few of them were recorded too by them ... but it was before, as you've said (most of the times -if not always- their recording was done before they gave them away and that is what I had in mind when I said "being true to themshelves they didn't recorded it") but by that time it was not very usual ... can you think of an example?

Bobber

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 07:37:51 AM »

I bet you are a politician.

I'd say they gave it away too late, because Sour Milk Sea is not as good as you say it is in my opinion. The speculation is in the part where you say it was given away too soon. The Beatles might have thought it was just not good enough for them to have a go at it. The fact is that it was given away.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 12:28:40 PM »

You can't lose if you don't bet ... sadly, I've been called worst things in these forums  ::) ... and after all, wasn't GreenApple the politician?:
http://dmbeatles.com/forums/b-harrison/m-1131888152/s-0/  (reply 12)

Can you distinguish between speculation and opinion? They "might have thought it was just not good enough for them to have a go at it. The fact is that it was given away." ... and because of that was it done too late?
If before June, 24 they had began to record just a bunch of songs (Revolution 1 and 9, Don't Pass Me By, Helter Skelter (studio demo) and Blackbird ... and none of them were George's) I think that George (and not the group -do you really think that they all decided to gave it away?-) gave Sour Milk Sea away too soon (too late? why too late?) because he could have tried to record it with the others later (to me, Come And Get It is a similar example of a song given away too soon) ... this opinion, -yours is that it's not such a good song, not better than Piggies or Savoy Truffle ... that's what I said-, is based on facts related to the time and when George's songs were recorded for the album ... curiously, Paul and Ringo played on Jackie Lomax's Sour Milk Sea ...

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »

Although I like The Abbey road Georginess, I voted for Yellow Sub as i'm more into those songs than AR.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 02:16:34 PM »

Abbey Road for me.
I'm a big fan of Something... it's such a beautiful song... love both the singing and the playing.
And Here Comes the Sun is great too. Although George says (sings) "it's alright", it's definitely more than just that!  ;)  :)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 1.369 seconds with 81 queries.