• That Means a Lot
LIVE 8
« on: June 01, 2005, 04:20:23 AM »

Here's some info:

U2, McCartney, Coldplay Top Live 8 Lineup

by Josh Grossberg
May 31, 2005, 10:00 AM PT

Bob Geldof is at it again.

Two decades after he masterminded Live Aid, the largest charity concert ever mounted, to fight famine in Africa, the 58-year-old singer-activist has announced an encore.

On Tuesday, Geldof unveiled a Live Aid sequel, dubbed Live 8, that aims to be bigger than the original and will feature a who's-who of the top music acts in the world, including Paul McCartney, U2, the Rolling Stones, Madonna and a reunited Pink Floyd, participating in a series of mega-concerts.

The free gigs will be staged July 2 in London, Paris, Berlin, Philadelphia and Rome and simulcast on television and the Internet.

At a news conference, Geldof stated that the goal this time around will be to raise awareness of poverty in Third World countries, particularly in African nations, ahead of the annual G8 meeting in Britain attended by the leaders of the world's most powerful industrial nations, among them President George W. Bush.

"We don't want people's money. We want them," the Irish popster told a news conference Tuesday, adding that the July 6-8 G8 summit offered a "unique opportunity for Britain to do something unparalleled in the world...to tilt the world a little bit on its axis in favor of the poor."

Coldplay, R.E.M., Mariah Carey and the Cure are among those performing with McCartney, Madonna and U2 in London; Dave Matthews Band, Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder, Sarah McLachlan, Will Smith, Jay-Z and P. Diddy will take the stage in Philadelphia; Jamiroquai, Placebo, Andrea Bocelli and Youssou N'Dour are among the headliners in Paris; Lauryn Hill, Brian Wilson, A-ha and Crosby, Stills and Nash will lead the Berlin bill; and Duran Duran, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw will command the stage in Rome.

Meanwhile, several other A-list acts, including Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, Usher, Snoop Dogg and Destiny's Child, have signed on to perform, but there's no immediate word on where they'll be playing.

Speculation of a pending Spice Girls reunion was quickly squashed by Victoria Beckham's publicist--not that the Girl Power group would have been welcomed. According to an account in London's Daily Mirror, Live 8 organizers rejected the quintet out of concern its inclusion might undercut the seriousness of the event.

The original Live Aid, held simultaneously in 1985 at London's Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia's RFK Stadium, featured an all-star lineup led by McCartney, David Bowie, Queen, Duran Duran, U2, Bob Dylan and Led Zeppelin.

Geldof says Live 8 should exceed its predecessor in terms of viewership--it will be beamed worldwide to more than 2 billion people over various cable and satellite channels. AOL will carry the shows live on the Internet.

Tickets for the London event, which will take place at Hyde Park, will be given out via a lottery on June 6. Tickets for the other venues--Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, Philly's Museum of Art, Rome's Circus Maximus, and a venue in Paris to be announced--will be distributed via a similar lottery system.

Live 8 organizers hope the massive turnout will help pressure G8 leaders to take immediate action to forgive Third World debt and establish programs to eradicate poverty and injustice in developing countries.

Organizers are also hoping to stage concerts in the three other G8 countries: Canada, Russia and Japan.

Here's a complete rundown of the acts and venues confirmed thus far.

LONDON: Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Dido, Keane, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Paul McCartney, Muse, Razorlight, REM, Scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Sting , Joss Stone, Robbie Williams, U2, Velvet Revolver, Bob Geldof, the Killers, Madonna, The Cure
BERLIN: A-ha, Bap, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Die Toten Hosen, Peter Maffay, Brian Wilson
PHILADELPHIA: Will Smith, Bon Jovi, Maroon 5, Dave Matthews Band, Sarah McLachlan, Rob Thomas, Keith Urban, Jay-Z, Stevie Wonder, 50 Cent, Kaiser Chiefs, P. Diddy
PARIS: Andrea Bocelli, Craig David, Calo Gero, Jamiroqaui, Kyo, Yannick Noah, Youssou N'Dour, Placebo, Axelle Red, Johnny Halliday, Manu Chao, Renaud
ROME: Irene Grandi, Faith Hill, Jovanotti, Tim McGraw, Nek, Laura Pausini, Duran Duran, Vasco Rossi, Zucchero,

A REUNITED PINK FLOYD!!!!????

Oh God, I'll die if that happens. Please!!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: LIVE 8
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 10:20:09 AM »

The charity aspect is good, but if Live 8 is anything like the first Live-Aid,,,,,its going to suck.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:05:05 PM »

I've watched the Live Aid DVDs about 10 times now, so I'm excited about this.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:08:09 PM »

The London line-up looks OK... All the others ones pretty much suck so far.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:52:06 PM »

I don't know about the rest of the world but the concert in London is going to be FREE!!!!! Tickets will be allocated on a lottery basis - details will be announced this  Monday

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 02:31:54 PM »

pretty cool...i heard on the radio that paul mccartney and bono are gonna sing sgt.pepper's lonely hearts club band in the opening, because of the line " It was 20 years ago today"...

I wonder if roger waters will be in the pink floyd reunion...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 06:12:40 PM »

And I'd just like to mention that Die Toten Hosen are the very worst band in music history. God, do they SUCK.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 02:29:51 AM »

sounds cool, but hopefully they dont just mean dave by pink floyd.  maybe roger is in?  

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 03:27:50 AM »

You know, it would probably be no less than a miracle if all four Floyds got back togther, but I'm PRAYING!! Why would they say a reunited Floyd? Dave and the boys never split, just stopped for about 10 years! Ah, I don't know. Stupid Roger and his stupid ego probably won't allow him to put his stupid differences aside and give his zillions of fans a thrill. Eh Hey, maybe they can drag Syd out for a song or two. I envy the people over in England, cuz if so, they get to be there. I certainly don't have the money to fly over for a freaking concert. No matter how huge it is.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 01:08:56 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
You know, it would probably be no less than a miracle if all four Floyds got back togther, but I'm PRAYING!!

Meanwhile, God's sitting behind his desk with a big pile of requests for miracles in front of him...
"Let's see... "Please cure my husband's disease"... Nah, don't feel like it, he's a bastard anyway... "Please end world hunger"... Oh, too much work... "Please end this war that's going on here"... Maybe another time... Oh wait, what's this? "Please reunite Pink Floyd"... Yeah! Pink Floyd! ROCK!"

;) ;D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 12:44:06 AM »

You know...it's just an expression.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 11:49:12 AM »

Yeah, I know.

Wayne L.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 08:33:21 PM »

This Live Aid sequel called Live 8 is about as cheesy as you get but I"m looking forward to seeing Paul McCartney & Brian Wilson.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 11:41:39 PM »

whys it cheesy?

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 12:22:33 AM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power
Yeah, I know.

Just checking.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 12:26:10 AM »

That sounds very cool. I'll have to tell my dad about this- he was at the original Live Aid.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Wayne L.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 04:07:32 PM »

Quote from: Herecomesyoursun
whys it cheesy?

Doing it again is cheesy because you can't repeat Live Aid.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 04:40:20 PM »

I appreciate what Geldolf and Bono are trying to do.  But these concerts every 20 years are less than a "band-aid" for the problem of global poverty.  I know, I know, increase "awareness"--hold politicians accountable.  Give wealthy countries a well-deserved guilt-trip.  But really.  These guys need to start doing this kind of thing once a month, or even once a week to begin to have any meaningful impact.  

And let's face it.  Contraception and AIDS prevention is one of the keys to reducing poverty in Africa.  But when you've got leaders in Africa denying that HIV causes AIDS and not doing everything they can to reduce the spread of HIV, the situation begins to look hopeless.  

I hope it's not.  

Sing on, Bob.  

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 05:02:12 PM »

I think it's great this big list of names are gathering together. The British line-up does seem to conjure up some great possibilities. I hear Sting and Madonna are going to perform a duet. lol. Bono and Macca too? Should be interesting.

I never saw Status Quo on the list. lol......Won't be the same.

It's a shame the manufacturers of these HIV pills cannot reduce the cost of supplying them. Instead choosing to maximise profits over lives.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 08:51:04 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
That sounds very cool. I'll have to tell my dad about this- he was at the original Live Aid.

I'm jealous of your dad then...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 78 queries.