Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: LIVE 8  (Read 7740 times)

frightenedandscared

• A Beginning
Re: LIVE 8
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2005, 01:14:52 AM »

I just saw a Live 8 recap on the channel VH1 Classic which was MUCH BETTER. It showed performances I wanted to see and it showed full performances without interuptions.

Brian Wilson was in Berlin and all MTV and Vh1 would show was the US and London.

It was funny watching Pete Townshend dancing around the stage during one of their songs.

I was amazed how good The Who and Pink Floyd sounded.

Overall the music was great, the coverage was crap.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2005, 07:10:12 AM »

I thought McCartney was great, but after the intensity of the Who and Floyd I thought he lacked a bit of passion.
I caught a bit of Brian Wilson, and it looked really sad I'm afraid. Sat behind keyboards he wasn't playing, it looked like the few times he tried to sing his mike was off.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2005, 08:31:29 AM »

OK coverage over here in Holland. Kinda hard to switch between all these cities with music. I noticed that certainly in London, the line-up was a great deal artist of an older generation. 40+, and even 60+. I thought Paul looked somewhat tired and burnt out, but he sang well, certainly Helter Skelter. The Who, Pink Floyd, Sting: they all looked like old people. Robbie Williams was an exception, and he made the place party!

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2005, 09:21:11 AM »

Paul was just AMAZING!!! I loved it so much! Unfortunately I could't record the initial song, (SPLHCB) Bcos I didn't know that the TV would broadcast it here... :( But I recorded from the Robbie Williams session.

This whole Live 8 was a brilliant idea, it's amazing how it moved this huge amount of people. I doubt that there will ever be a show like that, even though the performers were not all my favourite.

Wolf

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2005, 09:35:17 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power
I thought Roger Waters looked a lot like Richard Gere.

I think Roger Waters' accomplishments exceed those of Richard Gere, so let's say Richard Gere looks like Roger Waters, not the other way round.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2005, 01:28:19 AM »

Quote from: Bobber
The Who, Pink Floyd, Sting: they all looked like old people. Robbie Williams was an exception, and he made the place party!

The audience did most of the singing for him. He knew how to work the crowd, getting them to sing along, but it doesn't make it a good performance.  :)

Bobber

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2005, 08:36:58 AM »

Quote from: MagicAlex

The audience did most of the singing for him. He knew how to work the crowd, getting them to sing along, but it doesn't make it a good performance.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2005, 04:32:47 PM »

With the help of AOL Music, I just finished watching Paul's performance along with many others that I wasn't able to catch due to poor coverage here. I thought Get Back and Drive My Car was alright, but the show really started with Helter Skelter and TLAWR. As predictable as Hey Jude was I still found it terribly emotional with all the performers and the children joining in. I may not be the biggest fan of the song, but it does get you really excited and can't help but feel about emotional.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2005, 04:38:47 PM »

why does damn Macca play Get back and Drive My Car?????? those are 2 random songs,, and he could have played way better songs

Helter Skelter was awesome though

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2005, 04:44:08 PM »

Quote from: TurnMeOnDeadman
why does damn Macca play Get back and Drive My Car?????? those are 2 random songs,, and he could have played way better songs

Helter Skelter was awesome though

Yeah. I thought Get Back was a bad choice as an opener - he needed something with more impact. After Pink Floyd it sounded a bit trite and limp. Drive My Car is OK with me - I'd rather that than endless renditions of Yesterday or Michelle.
Helter Skelter was one hell of a suprise - they caught the sound and mood really well. If only it could have been book ended by say Revolution and Here Comes The Sun. We can only dream
don't follow leaders

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2005, 04:51:30 PM »

I wouldn't have minded Paul doing a rendiition of "Imagine" or "Give Peace a Chance" for Live 8. I think it would actually have been nice as a Lennon tribute an would have fit the mood and objective of Live 8. I mean, as much as it is a concert, you're also trying to raise awareness. Singing songs that convey no message undermines the whole goal of the concert, for me.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2005, 08:37:07 PM »

I think it's somewhat surprising that there wasn't a terrorist attack on Live 8... Cause if you want to kill a whole lot of people and make a really big statement to the whole world, Live 8 would've been the ideal target... Scary but true.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2005, 09:28:35 PM »

Alright I watched it in a bar in Ireland and heres what I thought:  Best Band was The Who, they absolutely rocked.  Best Performance was Paul on Helter Skelter, amazing.  Roger Waters shouldnt have sang on WIsh You Were Here but still that reunion was awesome.  U2 also did good

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

can_you_take_me_back

• One And One Is Two
  • "I'd love to turn you on"
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2005, 03:19:45 PM »

I guess I'll have to go onto AOL music and try again to hear Paul and The Who, as I missed them with the CRAPPY coverage in the US. I did enjoy The Verve and Coldplay doing Bitter Sweet Symphony.
"Half of what I say is meaningless."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 67 queries.