Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "60s Biggest Sales Job"  (Read 1514 times)

apple sauce

• Getting Better
"60s Biggest Sales Job"
« on: July 24, 2005, 01:27:50 PM »

If you were there it didn't occur to any of us what a great selling job was done on North America with the 2 biggest bands at that time! Management sold the "Rolling Stones" as these bad boys of rock who were scruffy and unclean looking when in reality they came from a middle class standard in England! Conversely the "Beatles" were potrayed as these loveable clean cut lads which was a stretch! They were twice as tough as the "Stones" with their leather coats and "Hamburgh" strip club days! Working class kids that were dressed up in matching suits who acted charming towards the North Americans! The fact that simultaniously we were being sold such stretches of the truth and bought it hook line and sinker only shows the power of a determine band and the management team! This was the biggest smoke and mirror story that no one ever talks about! Probebly because we were all blinded by the great music these 2 bands were giving us I suppose?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: "60s Biggest Sales Job"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 03:33:28 AM »

uuuummmmmmm  yeah right arm!!!!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 03:38:14 AM »

I actually do think it's kinda funny that most people think of the Beatles as these clean cut nice boys. Ed Sullivan couldn't say enough nice things about them. Along with the rest of the world. And meanwhile, they were these tough, competetive, womanizing, egomaniacal rockers. I guess they had good manners though. The Stones seemed to work hard to get their bad boy images. Not that they weren't degenerates too though. And I mean that in a nice way. It's the way rock stars should be. Not all sensitive and wimpy like that dude from Coldplay. Sometimes I just wanna smack that guy.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 10:58:52 AM »

Rock and roll was definately a much better game when drug taking and womanizing were compulsory.
Q magazine did an issue years ago where they tried to work out which narcotic was most condusive to producing great rock'n'roll, and heroin came out a clear winner.
But remember kids, drugs are bad bad BAD (Ok Mr End?)
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 02:03:24 PM »

Quote from: Sandra
It's the way rock stars should be. Not all sensitive and wimpy like that dude from Coldplay. Sometimes I just wanna smack that guy.

LMFAO!

But yeah, it's right about the whole management thing. I could've used this argument when we were having a "friendly discussion" *cough* on Fan Art Central, and everyone was saying that the Beatles were goody-two-shoes, and the Stones were such badassess... like their image makes them a better band, ::) but whatever.
The Beatles weren't horrible guys... but you know what I mean... they were bad in a cool, James Dean-like way.
But then they got into the whole peace and love thing in the late sixties, which would have been great if they could actually get along with each other.

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 45 queries.