Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Sub-Genres The Beatles Gave Birth To  (Read 2115 times)

mclen57

• A Beginning
The Sub-Genres The Beatles Gave Birth To
« on: August 05, 2005, 09:28:25 PM »

We all know that almost no one can top The Beatles overall influence on R&R with their wide range of styles and experimentation. But they were also responsible for the splintering of R&R into sub-genres that flourished in the 70s. While some of the most influencial artists of these sub-genres formed in the mid to late 60s, their most formative years were in the 70s. Here's a list of what I think are the most influencial artists of these sub-genres:

Miles Davis - Fusion
Led Zeppelin - Heavy Metal
Pink Floyd - Art Rock
King Crimson - Prog Rock
David Bowie - Glam Rock
Allman Bros. - Southern Rock
Bee Gees - Disco
Kraftwerk - Techno Rock
Sex Pistols - Punk Rock
Talking Heads - New Wave

I'm sure there are some of you that think I may have left out other artists like Queen which I consider Glam Rock and I think Bowie was a bit ahead of the game on that. T-Rex however may hold a better arguement on that though. The Who on other hand is a bit of a dilemma. You can't really call them Heavy Metal or Art Rock. Sort of an in-between. And yes while Jimi pretty much invented Heavy Metal, it was Zep who refined it. Frank Zappa is pretty much a genre all to his own. I mean, just how the hell do you label an artist like him? Tough list to come up with, so anybody that has any inputs, let's hear it.

Henry the Horse

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 32 queries.