Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Sgt. Pepper Vs. Abbey Road Vs. Revolver  (Read 35513 times)

GL

Re: Sgt. Pepper Vs. Abbey Road Vs. Revolver
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2005, 05:52:58 PM »

Those are actually my three favourite beatles albums, so it was really, really hard for me to choose my absolute favourite of the bunch. I ended up voting for Abbey Road, though, since side two of it is probably my favourite side of any album ever.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2005, 04:05:33 PM »

Pepper (thumbsup)

..mono Pepper. Gotta love the muddy mix.

Wayne L.

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2005, 04:57:24 PM »

Abbey Road is creatively, musically & artistically superior to Revolver & Sgt. Pepper because it's a solid classic rock album.

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2005, 06:02:28 PM »

Pepper
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2005, 06:38:31 PM »

Quote from: Wayne L.
Abbey Road is creatively, musically & artistically superior to Revolver & Sgt. Pepper because it's a solid classic rock album.

I'm interested in why you said this. It's pretty obvious that Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's are both creatively better than Abbey Road, whether someone likes Abbey Road better or not. Abbey Road... well, even though I don't like it that much, I realize it's a good album, but it doesn't push the envelope in the way that Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's do.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2005, 07:34:18 PM »

Becasue its solid classic rock, means its better?

hmm.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2005, 08:44:48 PM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.

I've got to disagree VERY STRONGLY with you there Wayne. Most of Abbey Road is not what most informed people would call "ROCK". And I'm surprised you do.

Abbey Road has a lot of what I like to call "punched-up MOR" stuff. I have in  mind here Maxwell, Darling, and the medleys from Money onwards. Very smooth, very ordered, very not-in-your-face. Even Oh Darling and parts of the medleys feel contrived ("Now we'll do a fast number. Oh, and we must add some more bass to that track from yesterday.")

As you would expect, the "genuine" rock comes from the largely uninterested Lennon, when he does Come Together and I Want You.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2005, 08:46:54 PM »

Quote from: Mairi

I'm interested in why you said this. It's pretty obvious that Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's are both creatively better than Abbey Road, whether someone likes Abbey Road better or not. Abbey Road... well, even though I don't like it that much, I realize it's a good album, but it doesn't push the envelope in the way that Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's do.

I'm going with Mairi on this one, Wayne.

Taxman

• A Beginning
  • 1 for you 19 for me
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2005, 04:33:06 AM »

revolver... a week ago it would've been abbey road

sky of blue sea of... gray?

flux

• A Beginning
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2005, 04:42:14 AM »

Abbey Road was Great.
 All Rock wasn't the intention. The Beatles were breaking up. I don't think anyone really cared at the time. Historically it was still miles ahead of the competition when it was released. Come Together and Oh Darling had sounds, textures and riffs that were ground-breaking. I Want You can be considered early Heavy Metal.
The band was kicking hard on the medley on side two. The Beatles were always about diversity in their albums. Ballads, rockers, vocals, whimsical tunes.  Abbey Road is just another stellar example.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2005, 06:26:32 AM »

Quote from: flux
Abbey Road was Great.
 All Rock wasn't the intention. The Beatles were breaking up. I don't think anyone really cared at the time. Historically it was still miles ahead of the competition when it was released. Come Together and Oh Darling had sounds, textures and riffs that were ground-breaking. I Want You can be considered early Heavy Metal.
The band was kicking hard on the medley on side two. The Beatles were always about diversity in their albums. Ballads, rockers, vocals, whimsical tunes.

slimjim

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2005, 02:19:41 AM »

Sergeant Pepper is the greatest of them all, I feel. It usd to blow my mind when I listened to it as a kid, and with the right kind of ears I can remember what it was like to be so affected by it.
A forum for European Beatles Fans

slimjim

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2005, 02:23:16 AM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn

I've got to disagree VERY STRONGLY with you there Wayne. Most of Abbey Road is not what most informed people would call "ROCK". And I'm surprised you do.

Abbey Road has a lot of what I like to call "punched-up MOR" stuff.

To be frank that's something of a modern perspective. Abbey Road is really a rock album, through and through, it only sounds a little like MOR to a degree today because of the way our perceptions have shifted. A lot of Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell album sounds like bland MOR to me now, for example, but in its time it was definitely a rock album in essence.
A forum for European Beatles Fans

Jessi

• One And One Is Two
  • Got to be good looking 'cuz I'm so hard to see.
    • Ramblings
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2005, 04:15:12 AM »

Abbey Road is definitely my favorite.
The sun is up.  The sky is blue.  It's beautiful.  And so are you.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2005, 08:29:30 PM »

Quote from: slimjim

To be frank that's something of a modern perspective. Abbey Road is really a rock album, through and through, it only sounds a little like MOR to a degree today because of the way our perceptions have shifted. A lot of Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell album sounds like bland MOR to me now, for example, but in its time it was definitely a rock album in essence.

To be even franker, most of Abbey Road is "pop" - and doesn't come close to rock. We knew it then and many were quite disappointed with the album - but knew it was down to Macca!

The Beatles' music encompassed many "styles". Comfortable toe-tapping numbers were a McCartney forte: and Road is filled with them. Shall I list them? Maxwell, Money, Bathroom, Slumbers, Weight, The End from Macca; Something from George; Octopus from Ringo; King, Mustard, Pam from John.

I s'pose you could call Oh Darling rock. Because is a pseud's song (clearly largely written by Yoko). That leaves three good 'uns: Together, Something, Here Comes.

To be even franker still, Abbey Road is well, well overrated. At the moment it's 'in' to class Pepper as overrated. In ten years, people will be saying the same about Road. Then they'll be right!

GL

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2005, 09:45:05 PM »

I dont' necessarily think it's "in" to classify any Beatles record as overrated. And I don't think Abbey Road is even remotely overrated. Although Revolver and Sgt. Pepper were obviously far more innovative than Abbey Road, that doesn't mean that anyone who thinks Abbey Road is better than the others is wrong to do so.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2005, 09:59:22 PM »

Quote from: GL
I dont' necessarily think it's "in" to classify any Beatles record as overrated. And I don't think Abbey Road is even remotely overrated. Although Revolver and Sgt. Pepper were obviously far more innovative than Abbey Road, that doesn't mean that anyone who thinks Abbey Road is better than the others is wrong to do so.

I beg your pardon, but it most definitely is the in-thing these days to class Pepper as overrated. Read the forums: over and over, many fans put Pepper down.

If you don't think Road is overrated, tell me where on Road is the creativity and innovation (which the Beatles were famous for)? Abbey Road is a journeyman album. John had long lost interest (he pops up now and then during the sessions, but sustained commitment - nope). George gets a couple of golden moments, but should have had much more - he had the GOOD songs. Ringo was allowed a novelty song.

As many a wag has said over the years: Abbey Road: Paul's first solo album.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2005, 10:57:57 PM »

I like Abbey Road and my opinion on whether it's overrated is probably a good medium between gl and ydoll's opinions. Nothing innovative happenend and there are numerous songs I could do without (like Her Majesty), but their musicianship was at its peak on this album (especially Paul) and you got to love Come Together, Something and Here Comes the Sun. Wish they would have replaced some of the bad tunes with other George tunes though.

I have nothing agaisnt all you Abbey Road lvoers, but I'm a tad-bit surprised its winng and winning by a lot.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2005, 01:27:41 AM »

I beg your pardon, but it most definitely is the in-thing these days to class Pepper as overrated. Read the forums: over and over, many fans put Pepper down.

If you don't think Road is overrated, tell me where on Road is the creativity and innovation (which the Beatles were famous for)? Abbey Road is a journeyman album. John had long lost interest (he pops up now and then during the sessions, but sustained commitment - nope). George gets a couple of golden moments, but should have had much more - he had the GOOD songs. Ringo was allowed a novelty song.

Hmm, Oh! Darling, Maxwell, Money, Window, and the suite (which I consider one song tied together).

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2005, 02:01:34 AM »

Personally I find Abbey Road too inconsistent to be in a class with most Beatles albums, but I fail to see how it is Mcartneys first solo album.  Look at the song breakdown

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 85 queries.