Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: George News  (Read 1975 times)

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
George News
« on: November 29, 2004, 06:07:26 PM »

Denny Laine's touching tribute to George Harrison
November 28, 2004

A wonderfully Pooterish moment from the concert 'Breakfast with the Beatles', which took place just a couple of days after the death of George Harrison. The words were spoken by Denny Laine, out of Wings:

"I would like to dedicate this song to George. George was a very spiritual person, he was the first friend I made with The Beatles... he lived down the road from me. I know you love him, and I love him, God bless you George!" said a melancholy Laine, as he introduced the Wings hit song Live and Let Die.

- from the website of the Beatles tribute act, American English.

Do you think Denny maintained his melancholic air for the duration of the song? One hopes so.

---powered by Moondogs®---

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
Re: George News
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 06:08:39 PM »

George Harrison Guitar Up for Auction
Nov 22, 2004

A guitar owned by Beatle George Harrison will go on the auction block next month.

The guitar, a Gibson SG, was played by the guitarist on the Revolver sessions in 1966. Documenatry footage shows Harrison with the guitar making the famed album. The same instrument would also show up in John Lennon's hands while the act made its White Album.

The guitar goes up for auction at Christie's in New York Dec. 17. It's expected to fetch in the neighborhood of $500,000.

Ex-Beatle's guitar up for auction
George Harrison

Rock'n'roll fans with deep pockets can buy a Beatles guitar at what auction house Christie's says is its biggest auction of showbusiness memorabilia.

The Gibson SG electric guitar, played by George Harrison from 1966-1969, is the star attraction among more than 400 lots, ranging from a book report by Britney Spears to a handwritten letter from Kurt Cobain to Courtney Love.

The guitar, expected to fetch about US$500,000 ($711,946) was used in recording the Revolver album and singles Paperback Writer and Rain. John Lennon also played it on The Beatles, better known as the White Album.

Another big draw at the December 17 sale is a Keith Richards guitar from around 1964-1965, which he played when the Rolling Stones appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Madonna fans can bid for the veil she wore in her Like a Virgin video.