Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: '1' is a Diamond  (Read 3183 times)

Rowdy

• Getting Better
'1' is a Diamond
« on: May 04, 2005, 02:39:18 AM »

'1' was recently issued a Diamond Award for sales of over 10,000,000 units in the USA. Wow! Their current biggest units seller is The White Album, which has sold 9.5 million copies (for a total of 19,000,000 units)..........while Abbey Road has sold the most albums in the US, with 12,000,000, but it looks like '1' will be ahead of that in a few years, ;)

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: '1' is a Diamond
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 03:24:07 AM »

Thats great for the Beatles, but I hate 'greatest hits' compolations. I just feel that listeners miss out on too many great lesser heard songs.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 06:27:57 AM »

Well, that might slightly change when '2' arrives. ;)

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:58 PM »

From Billboard:

Beatles Earn Landmark 6th RIAA Diamond Award

With U.S. shipments of 10 million copies certified in April by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for the Beatles' "1," the group has become the first act to earn six of the organization's diamond awards. Released in 2000, the Apple/Capitol single-disc set collects 27 of the Fab Four's U.S. and U.K. No. 1 hits.

The group's biggest U.S. release remains 1968's "The Beatles," which was last certified by the RIAA in February 2001 for U.S. shipments of 19 million copies. It is followed by the 1973 compilations "The Beatles 1967-1970" (16 million) and "The Beatles 1962-1966" (15 million), 1969's "Abbey Road" (12 million) and 1967's "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (11 million).

The only act close to matching the Beatles' feat is Led Zeppelin, which has five diamond-level titles, while Garth Brooks has four. The Eagles have three diamond titles, including "Their Greatest Hit 1971-1975," which remains the best-selling album of all time, certified at 28 million copies. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is in second place, having last month been certified for 27 million copies shipped.

Several albums reached multi-platinum plateaus in April, led by Alan Jackson's "Greatest Hits, Vol. II" (Arista Nashville) and Nickelback's "Silver Side Up" (Roadrunner), which are now certified at six times platinum for shipments of 6 million copies.

In an impressive display of popularity, 50 Cent's chart-topping sophomore album "The Massacre" reached quadruple-platinum in its first RIAA accounting, conducted just one month after its release. The Aftermath/Interscope album debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 in March and held the post for six consecutive weeks. 50's 2003 debut, "Get Rich or Die Tryin'," is six times platinum.

R&B artist Ciara and rock act the Killers earned their first multi-platinum designations. Her "Goodies" (LaFace) and their "Hot Fuss" (Island) were both certified double-platinum.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 04:42:23 PM »

Quote from: tkitna
Thats great for the Beatles, but I hate 'greatest hits' compolations. I just feel that listeners miss out on too many great lesser heard songs.

I agree tk, but the No1 first got me into the Beatles...so it can help to introduce you to a Band.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 05:50:18 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy
Well, that might slightly change when '2' arrives. ;)

theres a 2 coming! :)

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 09:37:14 PM »

Quote from: lennonlegend

theres a 2 coming! :)
Really? How do you know?  :)

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 11:21:04 PM »

What a 2?!?!!
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 01:29:24 AM »

Yeah, BeatlesNewsBriefs said their sources had info that there's plans to release a '2' in the Fall...........not sure if that will pan out or not...........expect the tracklist to probably be everything from the Red/Blue albums that wasn't on '1' (with the exception of "Old Brown Shoe"........not really a classic and it would make the set of songs too long to fit on CD.......I'd assume we might see "Here, There and Everywhere" make an appearance because Paul seems to think it's the best song he's written........

Let It Be DVD is still on the way...........problems had to do with a lot of extra footage editing, etc................and there is going to be a Capitol Albums, Vol. 2, but it doesn't seem to be first priority right now......

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 01:33:32 AM »

BTW, I made a playlist on iTunes with the "1962-1966" and "1967-1970" tracks that weren't on '1'..........it ended up running 81 minutes, 47 seconds........so something would have to budge.....If you replace "Old Brown Shoe" with "Here, There and Everywhere", you save 57 seconds.......so that means the disc would be 80 minutes, 50 seconds.....probably would just need to increase the Beats Per Minute of one song to get it to fit on a CD....

Wolf

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 11:28:31 AM »

Yeah, BeatlesNewsBriefs said their sources had info that there's plans to release a '2' in the Fall...........not sure if that will pan out or not...........expect the tracklist to probably be everything from the Red/Blue albums that wasn't on '1' (with the exception of "Old Brown Shoe"........not really a classic and it would make the set of songs too long to fit on CD.......I'd assume we might see "Here, There and Everywhere" make an appearance because Paul seems to think it's the best song he's written........

Do you have a link, I browsed thru abbey rd's news page but didn't find an article. Would they actually call it "2"? Would make sense in one way but no sense in the other way, as not all of the tracks included would were no. 2 hits. If such a CD would materialize, it would also mean the end of the Red and Blue CDs.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 03:28:48 PM »

Yeah, I'd assume a Blue cover would fit it quite well.........I think '1' was simply the next step in a three part process of redoing/remastering bad projects......

1) Yellow Submarine - They remastered it and turned it into an all Beatles release.

2) Greatest Hits - They released '1' which was the first value for your money compilation.

3) Let It Be - LIB...Naked is infinely better........

As for the news link, it definitely is hard to find, I'll do some looking right now. It was not a news byte, but was a post from the site's owners near the start of the year mentioning upcoming projects......

Wolf

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 06:12:09 PM »

As for the news link, it definitely is hard to find, I'll do some looking right now. It was not a news byte, but was a post from the site's owners near the start of the year mentioning upcoming projects......

That would be great if you'd find it! I am very interesting in news like that.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 67 queries.