Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Big 3's Brian Griffiths  (Read 41581 times)

Benzadrine Beat

• One And One Is Two
The Big 3's Brian Griffiths
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=27416&content=music [face=Verdana]Hello Some other Guy's, Anyone who was/is a fan of Howie Casey and the Seniors, or the Big 3, should have a listen to these recordings by "Griff" including six originals and two oldies. Titles include Danny Boy, Jig-in-D, Waltz for Paddy Chambers, Ain't that somethin, Brian's study #2, Yes you Do, Red white & blue, and Yesterday. 50 years later, it's very easy to see why he was considered to be Merseyside's #1 Guitar Player[/face][size=9][/size]

Casbah

• A Beginning
Re: The Big 3's Brian Griffiths
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:32:20 AM »

Wow, you aren't kidding. Blew me away.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »

He lives in Calgary, Canada nowadays? I mean, for a Liverpudlian he sounds pretty American to me?

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »

The Big Three

Brian 'Griff' Griffiths guitar
Johnny'Gus' Gustavson bass guitar
Johnny'Hutch' Hutchinson drums

'I don't think we'll be the last Liverpool names to get into the charts. The Big Three and Billy J. Kramer are people you'll be hearing about soon. See if I'm not wrong.'

So said Gerry Marsden in April 1963, and he wasn't entirely wrong: within a few weeks Kramer was at No. 1, and two months later the Big Three entered the Top Thirty. But only just: their second single and only hit, 'By the way' (by Mitch Murray, who had written Gerry's first hits) rose no higher than No. 22. Yet the Big Three, originally called Cass and the Casanovas, were possibly the most highly respected group of all among Liverpool musicians, and were in fact an early example of the phenomenon that came to be known as 'the group's group': their musicianship and their attack were legendary, and they had considerable influence on other groups, but on record - their only means of reaching a wide public - they tended to sound ordinary.

The group's comparative lack of national success may also have had something to do with the changes in personnel that they made at a time when audiences needed to identify clearly with the members of a group before giving their full approval. Johnny Gustavson and Brian Griffiths left in November 1963 to form the Seniors, Gustavson joining the Merseybeats soon afterwards, and they were replaced by two musicians from Faron's Flamingos: Faron himself (Bill Russley) on bass, and Paddy Chambers on lead. Iri May 1964 Faron left and Paul Pilnik (now with Stealers Wheel) became the bass player. Johnny Hutchinson was therefore the only member of the group who remained from their triumphant Liverpool days, and Decca, whose publicity was never the most efficient among record companies, could not establish a strong image for the group.

Is it possible, too, that their then revolutionary line-up, dispensing with the almost obligatory rhythm guitar, led people to believe there was something missing from their music? Whatever the reasons, the Merseybeat boom came to an end without the Big Three taking the country by storm as so many people had predicted they would.
Their E.P. 'Live at the Cavern' is probably their best memorial - it conveys something of the excitement they created in the Liverpool clubs during their heyday.

SINGLES:

March 1963: Some Other Guy/ Let true love_begin
June 1963:   By the Way/ Cavern Stomp 22
Oct 1963:    I'm With You/  Peanut Butter
June 1964:   If you ever change your mind/ You've gotta keep her under your hand
EP:

July 1964   Big Three Live at the Cavern
What'd I say?/ Don't start running away/ Zip a dee doo dah/Reelin'-& Rockin'/

info borrowed from this link....http://www.leirvag.no/merseybeat/the_big_three.htmhis home site has more mersey band info also..http://www.leirvag.no/merseybeat/index.htm
good interveiw here to...http://www.tropeamagazine.it/thebeatles/mersey/griff/index.html

Benzadrine Beat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »

He lives in Calgary, Canada nowadays? I mean, for a Liverpudlian he sounds pretty American to me?

Bobber, I assume you mean North American as Canada has not become a State....Yet ;) I have heard others say his singing voice sounds somewhat like other more well known Guitar playing Americans, including: Marc knopfler, Eric Clapton, & Crispian St. Peters ;) !      

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 08:48:25 PM »

Quote from: 1312

Bobber, I assume you mean North American as Canada has not become a State...
Yeah, that's what I meant.    ;D  He doesn't sound like someone coming from Liverpool.

Benzadrine Beat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:28:08 PM »

There seems to me to be quite a range between all the tracks on that site. A couple of tracks are surely American Rock & Blues, but there are also celtic and classical instrumentals. All were home recorded.  

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 04:08:32 PM »

goUJrj5YidA

Griff

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »

Nice to hear you guys like the music I have been playing over the last few years.
I teach guitar and cover all different styles, and I enjoy composing pieces that are
different in many ways  -- but I am still a scouser.

Griff

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:50:35 PM »

Quote from: 2057
Nice to hear you guys like the music I have been playing over the last few years.
I teach guitar and cover all different styles, and I enjoy composing pieces that are
different in many ways  -- but I am still a scouser.

Griff

Blimey! Welcome aboard Brian! We sincerely would like to invite you to post some more.  ;D

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »

come on don't crowd the guy...we love the music griff...there just isn't enough free stuff available here..... ;D
i am kidding thanks for the notes.....you are still popular here....and please do post more...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »

it is great that you and johnny g still play together...is howie as big a p*sser as he seems to be????and how the hell is roy????i am a big fan of roys....

Griff

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »

Gus, Howie, Roy, Tony Newman and myself got together in 2005 to form the Starcombo.
It was a great band, but ended up being 90% Politics and 10% music. Sad really as we never did a gig together,but I still keep in touch with Gus and Howie. Can I post another song on this site?

Griff

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 04:40:15 PM »

anything you would like sir griff....if you need help with the options let me know....anything i can do to help is fine by me....did you ever meet tony sheridan???
dhiHrtRl1bo

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »

Fx7htocZnpM

care to comment on these 2 tunes???by the way you look and the cavern stomp...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=27416&content=music
i been listening....i enjoy waltz for paddy...i also enjoyed your rockabilly.....i'm listening to danny boy now....
i understand you are in canada now...how's that going?many mersey fans there??? you don't put anything on youtube?
it is a free service....people can steal your music tho...unless you give it to them...that'll keep the thieves honest...i am down at the bottom of the continent...florida...it's nice....country atmospere where i live...i use to live in south florida but i didn't want my kids in the city so we moved to the country...i was raised in the country till i was 11 tho...so i'm comfortable in the sticks... ;D you know we could make you a free web site if you are game....as fans we would do that...there are great free host to just post info on...sound click seems kind generic...even tho it is a great host...we could probally tripod you a site....tripod is the one i used for my beatles site...i think they are still free...http://originalonefeather.tripod.com/
if you wanna do the youtube thing i could help too...let's get you heard more...let me know...we can post them here too..

Griff

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 10:16:14 PM »

We had no choice but to record the songs we were told to do. Cavern Stomp wasn't that bad -- it moved along a bit. The last time I saw Seridan or spoke with him was back in the '60's at the Star Club.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »

griff could i download a song or two of yours and post them on youtube????i won't do it unless you say it's ok...and maybe you want to pick what goes on...i searched high and low for tunes from you and sound click is the only place there is any....
marshall

Griff

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 02:54:09 AM »

Marshall
               I don't mind you posting a few songs on youtube. I have to head out, Iwill get back to you Friday and we can sort it out.

Griff

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 04:06:51 AM »

Holy F*n cow.

Brian Griffith is posting on this site. I cannot believe this.

Welcome sir. You may not know it, but you are royalty! I love listening to your soundclick songs. I'm going back and listen to your Cavern songs now.

Did you know Bill Harry well? He posts on here too.

Any technical help you may or may not need, there are lots of folks here that will help you gladly, me among them.

I live in San Antonio, TX., also the southern part of our fair continent.

Welcome again!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.631 seconds with 80 queries.