Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Beatles Banjo  (Read 14979 times)

briangg57

Beatles Banjo
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »

Look what I found at a "GoodWill" store. I'm going to sell it but I'm not sure to who yet. 2 auction houses are interested. It cost me a small fortune though, I had to shell out 4 big ones for it, yep, 4 washingtons lol. feel free to make an offer. Oh yea, the thing that looks like chewing gum on it, is just a small rope that someone tied as a strap. I took it off.

and now the bad news :'(

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Beatles Banjo
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »

what a splendid find...you are quite lucky and obviously not a fan...a fan would never sell it..only a braggart would...

briangg57

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »

Quote from: 284
what a spedid find...you are quite lucky and obviously not a fan...a fan would never sell it..only a braggart would...
Go blow it out your yellow submarine. LOL. You don't know what you're talking about. I love the Beatles although IMO John was by FAR the best. I didn't like Wings AT ALL. I just personally can't understand why someone would pay so much money for a piece of plastic with a picture on it that the Beatles never signed or even touched for that matter. But I guess, to each their own. By the way, I just drew a picture of the Beatles, I'll let you have it for the amazingly low price of $99.99. IMO it's the same concept.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 06:23:59 PM »

sold......nevermind...you ought to place that in a shrine..i'll let you build one here...but if you do intend to sell it see it the strings are original...and save the gum for a d n a test...it could have been johns....you can put it on ebay and set a reserve but price check and see what it is drawing for bids....yours is chipped so it isn't perfect...but thanks 4 sharing the pics too....i will research it a bit 4 u..

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 06:32:54 PM »

string check...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »

briangg57

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 10:36:38 PM »

sold......nevermind...you ought to place that in a shrine..i'll let you build one here...but if you do intend to sell it see it the strings are original...and save the gum for a d n a test...it could have been johns....you can put it on ebay and set a reserve but price check and see what it is drawing for bids....yours is chipped so it isn't perfect...but thanks 4 sharing the pics too....i will research it a bit 4 u..
Yes the strings are original, I saw one that sold on ebay in 2003 for $4,995.00 It didn't have the original strings. Also that one just had the word Mastro on the headstock where mine has a likeness of the Beatles. The auction house said they made 2 models and mine is more rare. He said that the extras that mine has will help offset the chip in the back of mine. I wish that was Johns gum instead of a piece of rope.

briangg57

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »

"pc31" The pic. you posted http://flickr.com/photos/28285678@N00/2570521025 is the one that sold in 2003 on ebay for almost $5000.00 Notice the word Mastro on the headstock by the tuners as mine has a pic. of the Beatles. Also check out the strings on that one. A couple has been replaced with clear fishing line. Also that one came with a box but it is not a box for the Beatles version, it was for the regular banjo and there for didn't add to the value.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »

the box is part of the value b-man...things sell 4 more in the original package...one box was triangular and one was retangular...

briangg57

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »

someone a flikr has one...http://flickr.com/photos/28285678@N00/2570521025http://www.mybeatles.net/imagesmem/banjo_mastro.html no luck here huh?

Here is where I have a problem. Did mastro REALLY!! make 2 models. If you look at mine, it is red and has the pic. of the Beatles not only on the face but also at the top on the headstock by the tuners. The regular banjo has a black neck and backplate and only has the word mastro banjo on the headstock Upon close inspection of both, the Beatles banjo that I have and the regular Mastro banjo that I also have, I can see that the parts are DEFINITELY interchangeable. I really don't think Mastro made 2 versions. I would really like to see some documentation as such. I can easily change the face on the banjos and not have a chip in the back of mine, or I could just change the backplate but it would be black. I'm REALLY WONDERING if the guy that bought the $4,995.00 in 2002, didn't get ripped off. And as far as the box goes, They state that it is only a vintage mastro banjo box and probably not the box that the beatles one came in. After researching this to the best of my ability, I have found other types of banjos that they sold, such as cowboy banjos ect. In every instance they had the theme of the banjo on the box. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have the Beatles theme on the box. In fact the box that went with the $4,995.00 banjo, has the same picture of a man and women dancing as what's on the regular Mastro banjo.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »

the beatles didn't lend their name to to many offical products....the company made them from 64 to 66...maybe the earlier ones were just basic and as it gained sales they made it more elaberated...
this book could add value too....

the box was probally not a beatles themed box...brian epstien was always careful not to let them be linked to lastable memoribilia...he liked to renew things like that because more money was involved each time...he did screw up with the cartoon leasing rights...he sold them for too many years...i think they had a 10 year deal on the cartoon beatles...but regressing back to the banjo....to research further we have to look at the company that made them....are the still in business???http://www.banjoukes.com/Plastic/Plastic.html

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »

Mario Maccaferri is considered the "father" of the plastic uke and banjo uke. His company, Mastro Industries, which was located in New York City, started producing them in the late 1940s. In 1969 Maccaferri sold his business to another major manufacturer, Carnival Toys of Bridgeport, Connecticut.
marios story here...http://www.lutherie.net/mario_en.html

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/2005/12/28/mario_maccaferri_plays_classical_guitar_pt2.html
from the 1964 section...Introducing the Beatles...

The last notice of Maccaferri

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 02:06:04 PM »

so yes there were two versions.....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »

briangg57

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

the beatles didn't lend their name to to many offical products....the company made them from 64 to 66...maybe the earlier ones were just basic and as it gained sales they made it more elaberated...
this book could add value too....

the box was probally not a beatles themed box...brian epstien was always careful not to let them be linked to lastable memoribilia...he liked to renew things like that because more money was involved each time...he did screw up with the cartoon leasing rights...he sold them for too many years...i think they had a 10 year deal on the cartoon beatles...but regressing back to the banjo....to research further we have to look at the company that made them....are the still in business???http://www.banjoukes.com/Plastic/Plastic.html

I agree that you MAY BE RIGHT about the early Beatles banjos being plain and the boxes and bodies used could be the same ones they used for the regular banjos but I wish that there was a way to find out for sure. If you look at your post about the info of the Beatles products, you will see that every other instrument was produced in Beatle Red and Beatle orange. I think it unlikely that they used exactly the same body and box as the plain banjo for something meant to be special and boost sales. If you ever come across a site that proves either way, please E-MAIL me at briguert57@comcast.net Thankyou, Brian

briangg57

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »

Also If you look at the boxes for the other instruments, you will see that they did use the image of the Beatles on the box. I hope you're not the one that bought that banjo. It has to be a mixed matched.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 68 queries.