Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another Day  (Read 7415 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Another Day
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:59:01 AM »

Was partying with my best friend this weekend and 'Another Day' came on while we were sitting there. My buddies a John guy, but he said 'Listen to how smooth that bastard is'. It never dawned on me, but Paul was pretty damn smooth on this song. I have no idea why I posted this, but it was just kind of shocking coming from his mouth and its something I never really thought about before. We usually say these things about John is all.

Carry on

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Another Day
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:20:31 AM »

It was Paul's first solo single release.  I love this song, Todd!  It deserves another listen...

Paul McCartney - Another Day (1971)

Here's how it sounded at the Get Back Sessions in January, 1969

Another Day at Twickenham Sessions 1969
I can stay till it's time to go

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »

Was partying with my best friend this weekend and 'Another Day' came on while we were sitting there. My buddies a John guy, but he said 'Listen to how smooth that bastard is'. It never dawned on me, but Paul was pretty damn smooth on this song. I have no idea why I posted this, but it was just kind of shocking coming from his mouth and its something I never really thought about before. We usually say these things about John is all.

When you say 'smooth' is that a good thing? In England a smooth bastard is not a compliment.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »

When you say 'smooth' is that a good thing? In England a smooth bastard is not a compliment.

No, its a good thing and not saying he's a f**. We mean that there's no rough edges to his voice and that he makes it sound effortlessly (sp?).

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »

well,here in England,i wouldn't mind being called a 'smooth bastard',in fact I would definitely take it as a compliment,in fact.another day has always been a fave song in my paul cannon,a terrific early single. ;)
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 11:54:20 PM »

Tis a beautiful song - music and lyrics. Love it!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 05:01:28 AM »

Tis a beautiful song - music and lyrics. Love it!

...and Paul and Linda's voices sound so perfect together.

This song was so very popular when it was released here in the United States.  I still love listening to it.  The subject matter is "so sad" but the upbeat melody lends hope to the woman's situation.

jamesbjorkman

• A Beginning
    • Everything Paul McCartney
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 06:31:04 AM »

It's very melodic, and I like it a bit, but.... "Another Day" and "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" were the only two Paul songs to get extensive airplay in the States for the first couple of years after the breakup, and, of the two, I much prefer the latter. "Another Day" sounds too much like Paul's previous stuff, almost as if he was repeating himself. "Another Day" goes on for at least one verse too many, it's just a bit too perfectly produced without variety or tempo changes or all those sorts of things that Paul usually excelled at, and it's way too downbeat. It just sounds like everybody should be crying when it's playing. Not the first Paul single I would reach for off the shelf. I think much of its popularity upon release was simply due to afterglow from "Abbey Road" and "Let it Be," both bona fide masterpieces by Paul and those three guys who were backing him.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:40:53 AM by jamesbjorkman »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »

It's very melodic, and I like it a bit, but.... "Another Day" and "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" were the only two Paul songs to get extensive airplay in the States for the first couple of years after the breakup, and, of the two, I much prefer the latter. "Another Day" sounds too much like Paul's previous stuff, almost as if he was repeating himself. "Another Day" goes on for at least one verse too many, it's just a bit too perfectly produced without variety or tempo changes or all those sorts of things that Paul usually excelled at, and it's way too downbeat. It just sounds like everybody should be crying when it's playing. Not the first Paul single I would reach for off the shelf.

I prefer Uncle Albert also, but I dont feel the gloom that your perceiving when listening to it. As a matter of fact, I almost feel the opposite. It makes me happy for some reason, although the lyrics and song content point in the other direction. Maybe its because I dont pay attention to lyrics. I dig the music aspect.

I think much of its popularity upon release was simply due to afterglow from "Abbey Road" and "Let it Be," both bona fide masterpieces by Paul and those three guys who were backing him.

I think your wrong, but everybodys entitled to their opinion. I think much of its popularity was due to the fact that its a pretty damn good song.

jamesbjorkman

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »

You don't listen to lyrics, I think Paul would be hurt.... "Another Day" is a perfectly fine song, but one you rarely hear (at least that I rarely hear) played these days. As you say, a matter of opinion.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »

You don't listen to lyrics, I think Paul would be hurt....

Pauls lyrics are usually pretty crappy anyways so nothing lost there. I've never been a lyric person. My laughs at me because I dont know the words to songs i've been listening to for 30 years. I can tell you when there's a flub in the bass line at the 1:30 mark though. It all works out.

jamesbjorkman

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 08:47:03 AM »

That's cool, you must have a musical background. I will register a slight protest at the idea that Paul's lyrics are poor. Paul McCartney has written some of the best lyrics in pop music history - "The love you take," Eleanor Rigby, Let it Be, Band on the Run. I think he got in the habit of having someone else around to finish his compositions, though, so he tends to put out half-finished product that becomes almost song fragments like "Biker Like an Icon" and most of his '80s stuff. Sad, really, he needs a Lennon around to round out his thoughts, and I think he knows it.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »

That's cool, you must have a musical background. I will register a slight protest at the idea that Paul's lyrics are poor. Paul McCartney has written some of the best lyrics in pop music history - "The love you take," Eleanor Rigby, Let it Be, Band on the Run. I think he got in the habit of having someone else around to finish his compositions, though, so he tends to put out half-finished product that becomes almost song fragments like "Biker Like an Icon" and most of his '80s stuff. Sad, really, he needs a Lennon around to round out his thoughts, and I think he knows it.

I'm a John guy, but Paul was easily the best musician in the Beatles, playing bass in great form, but also guitar, drums, keyboards. He also may be better than John when it's about writing melodies (though I think John is underrated in that aspect). So if Paul were a great lyricist, he certainly wouldn't be human. Everybody has a low point, and Paul sometimes wrote interesting words (especially under the influence of John and the 60's), but as a lyricist he was far behind John Lennon, Pete Townshend, Ray Davies, not to mention Bob Dylan.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:19:10 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »

I never really listened that closely to this song until a few years ago-I actually thought it was a Beatles song when I was younger- but it's become a favorite lately. The upbeat melody masking the real story is a very accurate reflection of the cheery façade that sad people often put up. 

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »

I always liked this song. If nothing else he's observant!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 04:50:17 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »

I've always loved this song, too; so pretty! Lately, however, I've been avoiding it because I find the lyrics too depressing.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 11:27:35 PM »

I've always liked this song. As some have already said its very melodic. And the whole delivery is flawless. I like the middle 8 (or more like 16)
too that I think lifts the song musically.

I can, though,  understand why John et al ribbed it. (I read somewhere that he altered the line in How Do You Sleep to reference Another day  at Allan Klein's suggestion, and perhaps to avoid a lawsuit from accusing Paul of ripping off Yesterday). The subject matter is a bit downbeat and it must have fit the cliche that Paul just couldn't stop sounding cheerful regardless of subject matter.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »

The subject matter is a bit downbeat and it must have fit the cliche that Paul just couldn't stop sounding cheerful regardless of subject matter.
Really? Paul sounds cheerful on Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday or Let It Be???
I think one of Paul's strengths is his ability to deliver an ice cold vocal when other artists would be tempted to use a more emotionally wrought vocal. For No One is a prime example.Cheerful?
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 91 queries.