Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bigger Than Jesus  (Read 11055 times)

Bobber

Bigger Than Jesus
« on: May 09, 2006, 09:33:37 AM »

Poll backs Lennon's claim to be 'bigger than Jesus'

FAMOUS Liverpool son John Lennon once controversially said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus - and a new poll seems to back up his claim.
All You Need Is Love is the greatest saying of all time, the survey found.
The title words from the Beatles hit record in the 1960s topped a list of the "greatest words" of all time. It pushed To Thine Own Self Be True into second place and All Journeys Begin With A First Step into third.
The winning saying will be commemorated on a mural being unveiled at London Luton Airport. The Bedfordshire town organised the poll through a www.greatestwords.co.uk website. More than 1,500 people originally logged on to it, creating a list of great sayings, after which a further 2,000 people voted on the list, putting them in order.
University of Luton mature art student Terry Massiah will see his painting of the winning words displayed at the airport.
Top 5 sayings: 1 All You Need Is Love; 2 To Thine Own Self Be True (Polonius in Hamlet by Shakespeare); 3 All Journeys Begin With A First Step (Confucius); 4 Never In The Field Of Human Conflict Was So Much Owed By So Many To So Few (Sir Winston Churchill); 5 Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You (Jesus Christ).
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
Re: Bigger Than Jesus
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 10:54:27 PM »

hahaha, thats awesome.

damn you religious right! damn you indeed!!
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 08:33:03 PM »

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:48:08 PM »

I'm sorry, but, as a cultural impact, not maybe in the entire history but in the second half of the 20th Century, they were bigger than Jesus. I'm not comparing them as spirits or persons, just as a cultural impact.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Wayne L.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:16:08 PM »

The people that got uptight about John's bigger than Jesus comment had their heads in the sand at the time & probably still do today.  

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:20:45 PM »

Quote from: 395
The people that got uptight about John's bigger than Jesus comment had their heads in the sand at the time & probably still do today.  

I think they had their heads up their collective arses.

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »

Quote from: 713
I'm sorry, but, as a cultural impact, not maybe in the entire history but in the second half of the 20th Century, they were bigger than Jesus. I'm not comparing them as spirits or persons, just as a cultural impact.

I think that's what John tried to say but religious fanatics misquoted what he said.  At that moment in time The Beatles were so big, so popular and meant more than anything else to their fans.
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:45:59 PM »

Basically, The Beatles could not be bigger that Jesus. Because I am! ;D

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 12:30:08 AM »

OH-MY-GOD, Blue Meanie, OH-MY-GOD!
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 12:36:04 AM »

Quote from: 713
OH-MY-GOD, Blue Meanie, OH-MY-GOD!

I know, I know. Just bow down in the presence of greatness! ;D

The walrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 05:45:04 AM »

The Beatles were bigger than Jesus, except Ringo, who was slightly smaller.
&quot;We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.&quot; <br />- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 06:18:32 AM »

Well, as far as I know, Jesus only took part in one popularity poll. He lost it, Barrabas won. The Beatles won thousands of popularity polls. And who said that "Jesus never had a number one hit"?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »

Quote from: 63
And who said that "Jesus never had a number one hit"?
True, but he was pretty big as a nostalgia act. "Jesus Christ Superstar", anyone?

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »

Quote from: 551
True, but he was pretty big as a nostalgia act. "Jesus Christ Superstar", anyone?

He's the Elvis of the Messiahs. Good live but couldn't even write his own tunes.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »

A rare 1966 ITN documentaire popped up recently:

http://bcove.me/q6sebzn6

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 05:20:10 AM »

wow bobber - thanks
that film clip is a 'must see'
so basically john's comments were 5 months old unnoticed in a magazine and this self righteous 'religious' deep south radio personality dug them up out of context to build his own radio fame off of a beatles related 'stunt'
he comes off just like certain people in american 'news' today!! . .
-
he makes it pretty clear where he's coming from when he (stupidly) says that john putting down jesus would be like if an american put down the queen
( . . . i didn't know jesus was from america !  ???)
--
when they show the young girls crying for the beatles it all makes sense.....
the older bible belt making a last ditch effort for the minds of their young at the hands of these godless long haired foreigners .
------------------
-
this is some of the best beatles footage i've ever seen . .
and it could almost go in the george section of the forum because george is so great in the press conference  ;yes
awesome post !

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 08:11:40 AM »

wow bobber - thanks
that film clip is a 'must see'
so basically john's comments were 5 months old unnoticed in a magazine and this self righteous 'religious' deep south radio personality dug them up out of context to build his own radio fame off of a beatles related 'stunt'
he comes off just like certain people in american 'news' today!! . .
-
he makes it pretty clear where he's coming from when he (stupidly) says that john putting down jesus would be like if an american put down the queen
( . . . i didn't know jesus was from america !  ???)
--
when they show the young girls crying for the beatles it all makes sense.....
the older bible belt making a last ditch effort for the minds of their young at the hands of these godless long haired foreigners .
------------------
-
this is some of the best beatles footage i've ever seen . .
and it could almost go in the george section of the forum because george is so great in the press conference  ;yes
awesome post !

You're welcome.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

I'm a religious person and its not hard to understand what John meant at the time. He just didnt think it through before he said it. Plus, its nowhere near being true (even in the 60's at their height). I was reading over the top 5 sayings or quotes also and 'All You Need Is Love' is number one? Really? I dont think i've ever had anybody say that to me in the 41 years i've been alive. It just doesnt seem that popular or common to me, but what do I know?

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 06:48:24 PM »

... its nowhere near being true (even in the 60's at their height). I was reading over the top 5 sayings or quotes also and 'All You Need Is Love' is number one? Really? I dont think i've ever had anybody say that to me in the 41 years i've been alive. . .
-
-
you're right
especially because people say "jesus christ!" every time they stub their toe  ha2ha
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.592 seconds with 85 queries.