Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mark David Chapman: Rehabilitated or Not?  (Read 10014 times)

mclen57

• A Beginning
Mark David Chapman: Rehabilitated or Not?
« on: November 19, 2005, 03:45:32 AM »

20 years ago when the 5th anniversary of John's death was remembered, I remember how I wanted Chapman to just rot in Hell. Well, years have mellowed me now and I now think that assassins like Chapman, Hinkley and Sirhan can be rehabilitated. Unlike sexual predators and phedophiles who have incurable tendencies, I think there is hope for these misguided individuals. Is 25 years enough for Chapman? Maybe not. Maybe he should go further another 5-10 years. But today I don't think he should remain there the rest of his life. What say you?
Henry the Horse

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Mark David Chapman: Rehabilitated or Not?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 05:09:13 AM »

I think he should stay there for the rest of his life. My reasoning is not due to the fact that it was John Lennon that he killed, but the fact that he took any life is consequence enough. Why should he be granted freedom when the victim does not have the option?

The thing about MDC is when I look at him, he just looks like theres some evil hoovering about him. I cant explain it, but he just doesnt look or act like a sane person to me. I cant help but feel that he truly is 'acting' when he seems ok. Its probably me though.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 05:24:01 AM »

If those cretins were ever released, what possible value could they possibly be to society? They have been removed from society for so long, how would they start over? You think Chapman could go back to working with kids at a YMCA? Given the sad, voyeuristic society we live in, he'd probably end up on every talk show, write a book, etc. They're getting a safe, free ride as is-they can read, watch TV, get fed. They have it better off than the homeless, when they should be spending the rest of their miserable lives subsisting, giving them plenty of time to ponder the biggest mistake they should never have the chance to make again.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 06:20:35 AM »

How can you rehabilitate a person that does not have a conscience?? Don't you know that there are some people that do not function like normal human beings? You cannot teach these people to be normal no matter what you do. They are good at pretending to be normal, but they do not feel remorse. They do not feel empathy. They don't even think they're responsible for their own actions!! There is NO such thing as rehabilitation for these kind of people!! Why is it that there are still people that do not know this?

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 06:30:54 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
How can you rehabilitate a person that does not have a conscience?? Don't you know that there are some people that do not function like normal human beings? You cannot teach these people to be normal no matter what you do. They are good at pretending to be normal, but they do not feel remorse. They do not feel empathy. They don't even think they're responsible for their own actions!! There is NO such thing as rehabilitation for these kind of people!! Why is it that there are still people that do not know this?
Tell that to the judges that give 2-3 year sentences to child rapists! I seriously think that this kind of thinking is more bent on the love of the victim than simple common sense!

Henry the Horse

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 10:21:12 AM »

Damn left wing liberals. No matter how much they go on about rehabilitation, the simple fact is that punishment is as much about retribution as repair. I think that is why so many people feel let down by the justice system - they feel the punishment is insufficent recompense for the crime. If someone killed someone close to me I wouldn't give a jot how rehabilitated they were.
I think the Saudis have it right - the courts decide if a person is guilty, then the relatives are given a choices of punishments that can be inflicted.* that way the aggrieved are involved and will not feel that the system is operating in spite of them, rather than for them

*i'm not suggesting we use their punishments, just the system.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 11:31:15 AM »

Quote from: mclen57
Tell that to the judges that give 2-3 year sentences to child rapists! I seriously think that this kind of thinking is more bent on the love of the victim than simple common sense!

I read/saw somewhere that penalties for rape/abuse have to be kept lower than those imposed for taking a life. Otherwise, if you're going to do life (or go to the chair) anyway, you might as well kill your victim, cos it won't make any difference to your fate.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »

Ridiculous. Love for the victim? What the hell? You feel pedophiles cannot be rehabilitated but those who have committed murder can? How do you figure? Your post was prepsterous and its getting worse each time. You're probably one of these people who advocate for their rehab/re-introduction into society, but would be screaming the loudest if they moved into your neighborhood. You're a NIMBY.

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 03:23:40 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

Ridiculous. Love for the victim? What the hell? You feel pedophiles cannot be rehabilitated but those who have committed murder can? How do you figure? Your post was prepsterous and its getting worse each time. You're probably one of these people who advocate for their rehab/re-introduction into society, but would be screaming the loudest if they moved into your neighborhood. You're a NIMBY.
So you think a pedophile has a better chance of rehab than a one time murderer? History says otherwise.

Hey look, I'm not advocating Chapman's parole. From what I hear just recently he still has shown no remorse for what he did and for that he should stay in there. I'm just saying not all murderers are incurable. That's all.

Oh BTW, the minister at the church I go to occasionaly murdered his wife 30 years ago and I'm not screaming.
Henry the Horse

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 04:21:33 PM »

Chapman has his life still, whereas John's was taken away by Chapman. Chapman wasn't sentenced to death, but a life of little satisfaction in prison. Probably that's better punishment because it's more civilised than execution, and Chapman gets little satisfaction from life since he doesn't really deserve any, and he has so much time to realise what he did. If he fully realises, his conscience will punish him.

If he is released, naturally others will worry that he might hurt them. Why should they have to? And, it will hurt the feelings of so many close to the memory of John if he is released. I say, he should stay in prison, and be allowed certain privileges as a sign that society can deal with murderers in a civilised way.
All You Need Is LOVE!

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 04:59:51 PM »

So you think a pedophile has a better chance of rehab than a one time murderer? History says otherwise.

History says otherwise. Where's the proof in that? Just because you say so? Got a case study handy, because I'm not buying it just because someone says 'history proves otherwise'. The prisons and penitentiaries are overflowing with convicted murderers, and those who are released and murder again. Must be an interesting church. 9 Commandments.

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 06:23:41 PM »

History says otherwise. Where's the proof in that? Just because you say so? Got a case study handy, because I'm not buying it just because someone says 'history proves otherwise'. The prisons and penitentiaries are overflowing with convicted murderers, and those who are released and murder again. Must be an interesting church. 9 Commandments.
I just gave you a case study you twit! Of course, I don't expect a secularist like yourself to understand.

Henry the Horse

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 07:12:10 PM »

What case study? Your Minister? One person? I suppose if you talk to one person and ask them if Bush is doing a good job or not, your "poll" would equate to 100% of Americans believe this way or that. Alot of people hide behind the cloth. Lots of people suddenly find Jesus when they are wearing orange and are cuffed. If we can rehabilitate all of the people who have committed murder, we can lower the population of our prisons drastically, in which case, I suggest you get moving my friend, you've got alot of work to do, and as a bonus, you will have put secularist twits like me in my place.

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 08:09:33 PM »

What case study? Your Minister? One person? I suppose if you talk to one person and ask them if Bush is doing a good job or not, your "poll" would equate to 100% of Americans believe this way or that. Alot of people hide behind the cloth. Lots of people suddenly find Jesus when they are wearing orange and are cuffed. If we can rehabilitate all of the people who have committed murder, we can lower the population of our prisons drastically, in which case, I suggest you get moving my friend, you've got alot of work to do, and as a bonus, you will have put secular twits like me in my place.
Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said we can rehabilitate all of them. Rehab comes from the individual not the system.

Henry the Horse

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 08:15:07 PM »

Calm down, everyone.

Y'know, I feel that rapists should be treated as murderers, because when you rape someone, you kill a little part of them, and they're never the same again.
As for murderers, I think they should be thrown in jail and left to rot there. I don't believe in the death sentence because that's the easy way out. They should have a slow horrible death.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 08:18:03 PM »

I see. Selective Rehab. "Show of hands: Anybody want to get out of here and promise not to kill again?" Wow. There goes the entire C Block.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 09:40:49 PM »

A ONE time murderer?? As if that's any worse than killing 20? I wonder how the family of your minister's victim feel. Do you think they think it's okay because it was only ONE murder? Why on earth should anyone who has taken a life ON PURPOSE be allowed to live theirs. The person they killed cannot? Can you even imagine taking a life? That's not an easy thing to do! I mean, you really have to be on another level to be able to do that at all. Do you think someone that actully can murder, even once,

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »

The only case in which I think special consideration should be made is with kids. Like I was watching Oprah, and this nine-year-old killed a twelve year old because the older kid was bullying him and things got out of hand. I know that seven is the age when kids are supposed to know right from wrong, but c'mon, it's a nine year old with no previous agressive tendencies.
I don't think (adult) convicted killers should ever be released though. It doesn't matter how sorry they are or how "rehabilitated" they are, they killed someone and they don't deserved to live their life.

"A death of one is a tragedy, a death of a million is a statistic."
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005, 10:29:27 PM »

A ONE time murderer??

C'mon, it was only one life, not like it had alot of meaning. I don't know exactly what the cutoff number for murders you have to commit before you really have a problem with, um, killing people, but one murder...It might be like trying brussel sprouts and deciding you don't like them and then you don't eat them again. Give the one-timer a break-their loved ones will understand.

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 12:02:25 AM »

A ONE time murderer?? As if that's any worse than killing 20? I wonder how the family of your minister's victim feel. Do you think they think it's okay because it was only ONE murder? Why on earth should anyone who has taken a life ON PURPOSE be allowed to live theirs. The person they killed cannot? Can you even imagine taking a life? That's not an easy thing to do! I mean, you really have to be on another level to be able to do that at all. Do you think someone that actully can murder, even once,
Henry the Horse
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 83 queries.