Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When Maharishi threw Beatles out  (Read 5137 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
When Maharishi threw Beatles out
« on: February 15, 2006, 10:44:28 AM »

When Maharishi threw Beatles out

THE TIMES OF INDIA

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1415230.cms

NEW DELHI: This is a true story of love and bitterness, recrimination and reconciliation. It

Bobber

Re: When Maharishi threw Beatles out
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 10:48:13 AM »

Ah, that's interesting. Could be true, a typical John-reaction.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 02:46:36 PM »

'Beatles are angels on earth, said Maharishi'

NEW DELHI: The souring of relations between the Beatles and Maharishi Mahesh Yogi has always been amystery for the world. There was a reconciliatory meeting between Maharishi and George Harrison, and TOI's Guest Editor on Monday Deepak Chopra was the only other person present there. In September 1991, Harrison asked Chopra to set up a meeting with Maharishi, which he did. "We got on to a chartered plane, which had just dropped off Paul McCartney to Monte Carlo. George wrote a note to Paul, saying, "Guess whom we're going to meet", and signed it 'Jai Gurudev'. Then we flew to Vlodrop, in the Netherlands, where Maharishi was staying." It was an emotional meeting. As Chopra tells it, Harrison first presented Maharishi a rose. This was followed by a long silence. Then Maharishi asked, "How have you been?" George replied, "Some good things (have happened), some bad things." Then he added, "You must know about John being assassinated." Maharishi replied, "I was very sorry to hear about it." After some time, Harrison spoke. "I came to apologise," he said. "For what?" asked Maharishi. "You know for what," replied Harrison.

"Tell Deepak the real story," said Maharishi. Harrison said, "I don't know about it 100%, but here's what I know transpired." And he narrated the incident about the Beatles being asked to leave.

Did Maharishi harbour any bitterness towards the Beatles?

Chopra smiled. "Part of the Beatles lore is that when they made their first appearance on American TV, on the Ed Sullivan show, there was no crime in the US for that one hour.

Maharishi told us, 'When I heard this, I knew the Beatles were angels on earth. It doesn't matter what John said or did, I could never be upset with angels'. On hearing that, George broke down and wept." here was another long silence. Then Harrison told Maharishi, "I love you" and Maharishi responded, "I love you too."

The two left, and Harrison later phoned Chopra and told him, "A huge karmic baggage has been lifted from me, because I didn't want to lie."

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 07:38:37 PM »

John Lennon, what have you done? You made a fool of everyone.  ;D

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »

The first one? me!  :D

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 08:02:53 PM »

I mean, this story could be true and it puts John into another daylight. He could be a coward at times.

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 11:10:27 AM »

I thought Magic Alex had something to do with this as well.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 12:51:18 PM »

Yes it has been written that Magic Alex instigated or 'manipulated' the incident. There is a transcript I posted up here ages ago somewhere.

It's all plausible stuff.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio

Tamara

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 03:40:30 PM »

Somehow i'm happy John had this story in his mind: he wrote sexy sadie about it. And that is a great song.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 09:37:35 PM »

I'll play Devil's Advocate because I am always skeptical of dialogue that is regurgitated by some 3rd party, especially when one of the people the story is about is dead. That's the problem I have with movies or re-enactments about the Beatles history (or anyone else's for that matter). They are works of semi-fiction and someone is putting words into their mouths. A good example is the abominable "Two of Us". Good God. I read a pretty good biography quite a long time ago about Jimi Hendrix, all based on fact, and a good read. Then comes the part when Jimi is in the ambulance the night of his death, and the author takes it upon himself to say things like "Jimi thought if only I could sit up straight...", etc. How the hell would he know what Jimi was thinking? Sorry for the rant. I guess my point is that a positive spin was put on the Maharishi's relationship with the Beatles that may or may not be true, especially coming from one of his own.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 10:35:53 PM »

This change in story after 30 years does seem a little bit suspect.

Plausible, maybe.

But why would John write Sexy Sadie?  Wouldn't he fear the Maharishi would go public and say that he kicked the Beatles out for drug use?

Of course, if the Beatles were taking alot of drugs, including LSD, how with it would they be to know what the hell was going on in the Maharishi's crib to begin with.

The weird aspect of this is Deepak Chopra.  He's still around, will he confirm?  And Paul could confirm or deny why they left in 1968.

I guess the bottom line is this: drugs meant more to the Beatles at the time than TM or the Maharishi.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 05:50:11 PM »

They'd gone off drugs when they went to India.

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 08:19:17 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
They'd gone off drugs when they went to India.

And why should you believe that?

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 05:11:44 AM »

Quote from: Bobber

And why should you believe that?

And why shouldn't you? Since I wasn't there, I guess I can't give you proof, but it has been documented over and over again that they were told that they would have to enter the Maharishi's domain/program with clear heads to be able to have TM be effective, that there couldn't be anything to get in the way of their 'enlightenment' or whatever. And they abided by that. It was a new experience and having met the Maharishi earlier and buying into whatever he was selling, they stayed true to whatever the rules were. How long that lasted is anyone's guess, but none of them were addicted to anything then, so I don't imagine it would be difficult to be straight. John had done alot of acid, but I don't think LSD is addictive and he wasn't on heroin then, and he had the highest hopes to find 'the answer' or whatever he was looking for.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 03:34:13 AM »

Even in an interview in 1980, John still accused the Maharishi of being a fake. I don't think he was that big of an a**hole to accuse someone of something so serious and keep to the story for 10+ years. I think John was mostly honest. Eventually anyway. And I don't think Paul would lie either. What has he ever said about this story anyway? Has he ever confirmed it? I can't remember what he's ever said about the Maharishi.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 01:33:47 AM »

I was just rereading Albert Goldman, and even he sees this from John's side.  He mentions Linda Pearce, a "foremost disciple," who says that she was seduced by the maharishi as a 22-year-old virgin. Goldman provides no source for the info so its hard to say where it comes from.  Even if Magic Alex did unsuccessfully try to "set up" the Maharishi with one young woman it doesn't mean he didn't try it with others.  All I know is TM is incredibly wealthy.  

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:45 PM »

I'll take John's account from here. heheheh
The Maharishi Song / Pre-Sexy Sadie

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio

Bobber

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:15 AM »

Good to see they're having fun and laughs.

Well, if it was 'like school', I can imagine John's resistance and behaviour towards Maharishi.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.462 seconds with 80 queries.