Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSAY WOODSTOCK!!

<< < (3/48) > >>

Joost:
What's tragic by the way is that Max Yasgur (who owned the farm where the festival was held) was pretty much destroyed by the festival. His farm was ruined and he became an outcast in his town because everyone hated him for bringing the festival to Bethel. He died in 1973, just 53 years old.

--- Quote ---But above that, the important thing that you've proven to the world is that a half a million kids — and I call you kids because I have children that are older than you are — a half million young people can get together and have three days of fun and music and have nothing but fun and music, and I God Bless You for it!
--- End quote ---

Kevin:

--- Quote from: Joost on August 17, 2009, 09:37:32 AM ---When you look at Woodstock realistically, you've gotta wonder if it really was all that great to be there.
--- End quote ---

I guess Woodstock is the Sgt Pepper of rock festivals - not half as good as everyone remembers but more important for what it symbolised.

DaveRam:
I've seen the film , can't say i was that impressed with the performances apart from Joe Cocker .
Suppose it's a nice time piece though .
Not a big Stones fan but there free concert in Hyde Park i think it was , is a better closer to the 60's ?

Joost:
I think Woodstock became so legendary for three reasons:
1. Incredibly line-up.
2. Half a million people showed up.

And probably the most important reason:
3. Half a million people piled up under pretty miserable conditions but hardly any incidents. That probably gave people the impression that a world of love and peace was possible.

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: Joost on August 17, 2009, 09:37:32 AM ---....there was such a huge traffic jam that there were probably more people that didn't make the festival than people that did...

--- End quote ---

I can confirm that, Joost.  I made it as far as Monticello on Saturday that weekend.  Route 17B out to Bethel was closed.  There were cars parked on the road that far away (about 10 miles)!  There were a ton of people in Monticello and I met a girl named Barbara there.  We decided to walk out to the festival site.  We stopped in Mongaup Valley about 4 miles from Bethel.  We kind of liked each other and decided to go riding instead.  I knew a stables nearby as well as the trails in that area.  So we had a good time horseback riding in the country that day.  We had no idea at the time that the Woodstock Festival would become iconic.  It was just a typical hot, rainy summer weekend in the Catskill Mountains.  There was a concert in Bethel that we didn't have tickets for.

And Barbara and I found something else to do that day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version