Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Yoko Ono  (Read 24999 times)

nimrod

Yoko Ono
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »

Just wanted to discuss here and what the general feeling about her amongst Beatle fans, Ive just finished reading Fred Seamans book about his time at the Dakota.......maddeningly we will never know how accurate it all is, could be 100% truth, could be 50% truth etc etc
He paints a picture of Yoko as someone who is sick and fed up with John and just wants him out of the way, she hides herself 'downstairs' in Studio 1 on the phone day & night while John has to amuse himself with Sean all day, when he tries to book even lunch with 'Mother' she keeps him waiting outside her office and then tells him to go without here, then she apparently has an affair with Sam Green after John has gone to Bermuda, John hounds her to visit him & Sean in Bermuda she eventually goes but sulks the weekend away and leaves early etc etc
Then Fred says at the end of his book that she makes the most of his death by releasing demo tapes and all sorts of John stuff, even selling his songs for TV adds in places like Japan.
Its obvious Fred didnt like her and a lot of Beatle fans still blame here for splitting up the band, sitting in on recording Let It Be, turning Johns head all the time into doing crazy stunts and eventually having some kind of power over him - keeping him in check so to speak

John obviously loved her very much and seemed to need here, she had something deep that Cynthia (or anyone else) never gave him and he wanted the world and the fans to accept her as part of him.......what are your feelings about Yoko ?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Yoko Ono
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »

Getting him sniffing heroine!
I had to think about this a bit. I haven't read the book but if becoming intertwined wih his persona was her goal? She succeeded.
I think he's right about her. She sent him to LA for almost two years with May Pang for comfort and to report(?) to her his goings on till he wanted to come home. Then I would say he was under her control as he basically disappeared for 5 years. I'm sure she took care of herself for the time he was away. I could be presumtuous but thats my feeling about it. In the end I don't think I like her very much either, just a fact of life she's here and did what she did.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:33:01 PM by Dcazz »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 12:58:26 AM »

She's a C#^T!!!!!!

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:36:28 AM »

She's a C#^T!!!!!!

Don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:59:53 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 02:53:54 AM »

She has a beautiful voice...

WE'RE ALL WATER by Yoko Ono
I can stay till it's time to go

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 03:25:27 AM »

Yikes!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 03:12:47 AM »

She can sing The Star Spangled Banner so beautifully...

Yoko Ono Sings The Star Spangled Banner

Maybe next year they'll let her sing it at the Superbowl.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »

I don't know. The general opinion is against her, but I have never met her. I can't tell. I do know however that I'm not a fan of her singing voice.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »

I do know however that I'm not a fan of her singing voice.

Why?  What's wrong with it?

Yoko Ono at Twickenham Studios  January 1969

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »

Why?  What's wrong with it?

As you know, this is a rehearsal for their song 'John & Yoko', which appeared on The Wedding Album.

She's just out of tune here and there, that's it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 02:17:41 AM »

As you know, this is a rehearsal for their song 'John & Yoko', which appeared on The Wedding Album.

She's just out of tune here and there, that's it.

It just needs some double tracking and it would sound beautiful.

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 01:12:52 AM »

The first thing that I thought of when I watched this is: how honest is he?

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

KelMar

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:29 AM »

The first thing that I thought of when I watched this is: how honest is he?

Really! If he really believed what he was saying here he could go by St. Sir Paul McCartney. What film is this clip from?

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 06:48:45 AM »

I gave this question a lot of thought as well.
I've known about Yoko for 36 years. In those 36 years, I've heard all the stories, I've read all the books, forums, etc. People hate her. People say give her a chance, she was John's wife and he loved her why can't we do the same?

I think she was a manipulator. I don't think she was any good for John and she certainly wasn't good for the Beatles. She was on a personal mission. She wanted fame and she wanted notoriety. She had tried and failed and failed again up to the point where she met John at the Indica gallery.
She claims she didn't know the Beatles, the biggest sensation in the same scene she was trying to make a name for herself in. Really.

Yoko didn't cause the breakup of the Beatles but she certainly was the accelerant. Maybe John used Yoko a little bit too. He was getting disenchanted with the Beatles even before he met Yoko.  Yoko helping to break the band apart did some of the dirty work for him. Maybe I'm reaching a little with that one, but it could have some merit.

I'll never know what John saw in Yoko because I think John was a mentally f***ed up man at that time. He was also brilliantly talented which is why we loved him and I think by the time the end of the 70's rolled around he started getting it together but she had a crazy brain herself and I just never liked the woman and I do blame her for helping break up the Beatles.

I see her now as an opportunist and I think it sucks that Johns legacy is left in her hands as well as 1/4 of the Beatles legacy. She uses both to keep herself relevant.

Ahh. Yoko sucks.  ;D Sorry John!

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »

I gave this question a lot of thought as well.
I've known about Yoko for 36 years. In those 36 years, I've heard all the stories, I've read all the books, forums, etc. People hate her. People say give her a chance, she was John's wife and he loved her why can't we do the same?

I think she was a manipulator. I don't think she was any good for John and she certainly wasn't good for the Beatles. She was on a personal mission. She wanted fame and she wanted notoriety. She had tried and failed and failed again up to the point where she met John at the Indica gallery.
She claims she didn't know the Beatles, the biggest sensation in the same scene she was trying to make a name for herself in. Really.

Yoko didn't cause the breakup of the Beatles but she certainly was the accelerant. Maybe John used Yoko a little bit too. He was getting disenchanted with the Beatles even before he met Yoko.  Yoko helping to break the band apart did some of the dirty work for him. Maybe I'm reaching a little with that one, but it could have some merit.

I'll never know what John saw in Yoko because I think John was a mentally f***ed up man at that time. He was also brilliantly talented which is why we loved him and I think by the time the end of the 70's rolled around he started getting it together but she had a crazy brain herself and I just never liked the woman and I do blame her for helping break up the Beatles.

I see her now as an opportunist and I think it sucks that Johns legacy is left in her hands as well as 1/4 of the Beatles legacy. She uses both to keep herself relevant.

Ahh. Yoko sucks.  ;D Sorry John!

Well said.

Amen, Casbah, Amen.

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »

Don't usually comment on anything other than Stuart, but since I also read Fred Seaman's book as well as the very interesting "Get Back: the Unauthorized Chronicle of the Beatles Let It Be Disaster", I'll share my somewhat ambiguous Ono opinion.  I gotta say I definitely agree with Casbah---well said indeed.  I'll add that I think, bright as Lennon was, he was a pretty lazy guy---and was easily led and influenced.  Stuart was the dedicated, impassioned artist who showed John how to paint when the art school profs couldn't make a dent; McCartney was often the advocate of new, unconventional music and musicians; there was the Maharishi, Magic Alex, Allan Klein and of course, Yoko herself to lead and beguile.  Once interested and the groundwork laid, John would throw in with all he had...until the next new thing came along.

I don't think Ono broke up the Beatles.  In my opinion, the band's breakup was inevitable from the start, caused by the personalities and behavior of its members.  Not that Ono didn't use that for her own benefit.

Having said all that, I also think that Ono's poetry and early performance pieces (the voiceless ones) were intriguing and worth attention.  They weren't getting enough attention, apparently...a world-famous collaborator (especially one easy to manipulate) would certainly boost her celebrity.  And once John became a martyr, her name was was assured.

"Love" is a word that covers all sorts of needs and motivations.  John needed Ono at a time when everything he used to believe in was slipping away.  It's my personal opinion that had John lived, he might have found himself enough to detach from Ono.  He said he was "starting over"; hopefully that effort would have seen him "moving on".
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:58:39 PM by stuartblogtumblr »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »

Yoko compares being blamed for the Beatles breakup to being accused of murder:

http://www.today.com/entertainment/yoko-ono-compares-being-blamed-beatles-split-being-accused-murder-2D11673321?lite&lite=obinsite

I seriously doubt that the reason why people don't like her music is because they perceive her as having played a role in the Beatles' breakup.

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:25 AM »

I seriously doubt that the reason why people don't like her music is because they perceive her as having played a role in the Beatles' breakup.

I agree. When I hear her music I don't want it to stop because she may have broken up the Beatles; I want it to stop because I can't stand it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 84 queries.