Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paging Glass Onion!!!  (Read 3506 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Paging Glass Onion!!!
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »

I damn near forgot that we needed to talk about Rubber Soul and Revolver. You stated that you could name a song off of Rubber Soul that would rival anything off of Revolver and I think we should dwelve into that a little further. Realizing that this is nothing more than opinion, I think its interesting to hear other peoples opinions so that I understand and vice versa. So lets do this. I'll even go first.

'Tomorrow Never Knows' - The easy choice. Nothing on Rubber Soul is even remotely close to this. 'The Word' would be the closest and its a weak choice.

'Eleanor Rigby' - 'Norwegian Wood' maybe? No, not even close to having the mood and depth of this song. 'Yesterday'? Please, a beginners attempt. Cant even scratch the surface of this mature effort.

'Taxman' - 'Drive My Car' can only dream of reaching the heights of this effort. A raunchy rocker that spews way more emotion than the cute, proper 'Drive My Car'.

'Got To Get You Into My Life' - Pretty self explanatory.

'Love You To' - Please

I'll let you take a turn now.

glass onion

• Getting Better
Re: Paging Glass Onion!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »

aaaah,i think my typing fingers were working a little quicker than my brain that day todd........a large slice of bravado on my part.but i suppose if you have named 'tomorrow never knows' obviously there is nothing close to that on rubber soul but then again there is nothing else close to that on revolver,so that does stand out on it's own.'the word' is more similar to 'taxman' in guitar stabs and short,quick drum fills.'here there and everywhere' i reckon you could name 'michelle' to rival that song.then we have songs such as 'girl' and 'in my life'which is a little more difficult,as john wasn't writing stuff like that for revolver.
i really,really wish you had forgotten my quote todd!i now know how richard nixon felt when david frost had him all ends up!!it's only when faced with this question now that i really realise how different rubber soul and revolver are.i'm not too sure the beatles ever made anything like revolver again.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:52:50 AM »

I agree with you GO. They really are apples and oranges apart from each other. Different in almost every way. I look at Rubber Soul as more of an acoustic/folk/country album and Revolver as an experimental/psych/pop/rock album. It doesnt work to compare. Lets just agree that their both good.

Peace

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »

heh heh heh,got out of that one pretty lightly........sh*t,did i just post that?(!) ;D

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »

'Tomorrow Never Knows' - The easy choice. Nothing on Rubber Soul is even remotely close to this. 'The Word' would be the closest and its a weak choice.

if 'The Word' is weak tkitna, 'TNK's' is prostrate  ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:12:47 AM »

I agree with you

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:26 AM »

it may sound daft but i never really compare 'tnk' with any other beatle track.as a 'song' it really stands on it's own,it is so different and radical.it definitely cannot be compared to anything on rubber soul,nor revolver for that matter.to me,it's a song that really stands out in the other field,lonely.i do enjoy it,though.not a bad song on revolver if you ask me.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »

it may sound daft but i never really compare 'tnk' with any other beatle track.as a 'song' it really stands on it's own,it is so different and radical.it definitely cannot be compared to anything on rubber soul,nor revolver for that matter.to me,it's a song that really stands out in the other field,lonely.

Completely agree with you glass onion, that doesn't sound at all "daft" to me, I reckon you're spot on.

Surely a lot of this depends upon which tracks from each album you choose to compare with which?

Taking each Beatle individually:

"In My Life" I would rank higher than any of John's songs on Revolver, good as they are. On the other hand most of his efforts on Revolver are better than "Run For Your Life" (in my opinion). I like "Norwegian Wood" more than "Doctor Robert" and I like "Nowhere Man" better than "And Your Bird Can Sing", but I prefer "I'm Only Sleeping" to "Girl"....

"Got To Get You Into My Life" and "Eleanor Rigby" are better than anything Paul contributed to Rubber Soul as far as I'm concerned. But "Good Day Sunshine" and "For No One" aren't as good as his Rubber Soul efforts in my book. "Here There And Everywhere" belongs on Rubber Soul anyway.

"If I Needed Someone" is preferable to any of George's 1966 offerings and although "Think For Yourself" is better than "Love You To" or "I Want To Tell You" it's no better than "Taxman".

"What Goes On" is way more bearable to me than "Yellow Submarine" ever was or will be...

You can juggle the tracks around to your heart's content and by aligning certain tracks selectively with others from the competing album, come up with different conclusions.

I think of Rubber Soul as a plump, gorgeously marked, velvetty caterpillar and Sgt Pepper as the iridescent, magnificent butterfly it eventually became.

In the middle is the fascinatingly crystalline, curiously faceted  and downright weirdly constructed chrysalis we only ever saw once...Revolver.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:39:20 PM by Mr Mustard »

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

it may sound daft but i never really compare 'tnk' with any other beatle track.as a 'song' it really stands on it's own,it is so different and radical.it definitely cannot be compared to anything on rubber soul,nor revolver for that matter.to me,it's a song that really stands out in the other field,lonely.i do enjoy it,though.not a bad song on revolver if you ask me.

Yes Glass Onion but I was meaning if you stripped it down as a song and just played it on an acoustic or a piano its not a great song is it ? Its made by the instrumentation and drums.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »

Yes Glass Onion but I was meaning if you stripped it down as a song and just played it on an acoustic or a piano its not a great song is it ? Its made by the instrumentation and drums.
oh yeah,definitely.i agree with you there 100%.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 02:02:31 AM »

Of course that the weird instrumentation is what makes "Tomorrow Never Knows" so outstanding. But the melody is nice, despite being simple and repetitive, and the lyrics are awesome. The lyrics describe the music and the music describes the lyrics at the same time.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:04:22 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Page created in 0.756 seconds with 62 queries.