Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 900 Page Beatle Book!  (Read 19481 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: 900 Page Beatle Book!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »

Quote from: 63
I thought that the author went very into irrelevant details. No wonder it was 900 pages!
But some of us long to know how often the Beatles clipped their toenails!

Seriously, I haven't found any biography about the Beatles that I actually wanted to own. The more "objective" biographies seem to be full of flat-out errors or rampant speculation (not often indicated as such). The officially endorsed biographies are full of omissions. So I visit my library a lot!

I will probably end up owning the Hunter Davies biography and the Beatles Anthology mega-book. Even though these are "official" releases, I at least feel I'm getting a view direct from the source. I enjoy how the different members remember events differently and contradict each other. To me, that's life! We all remember things slightly differently, particularly as we *cough* mature.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 06:54:14 PM »

And waiting for the results of the Mark Lewisohn mega-project!

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 08:41:54 PM »

Quote from: 63
It is full of errors. There is even a list on the internet somewhere summing all the mistakes up. I thought that the author went very into irrelevant details. No wonder it was 900 pages!

You admitting dirk was right??

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 07:35:19 AM »

Oh, Dirk is quite knowledgable and I haven't read his post on this, but he surely can be right. It's a shame that his charactar has another side as well.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 02:28:41 AM »

I'm on page 805, and I'm lovin' it.  Of course, its my first Beatle book, so I really have nothing to compare it to.  So far, from being a member of this Forum, I haven't run across any contradictions.  And no, I have not clicked on those links.  Maybe I'll wait until I'm finished with the book.

I've read Here, There, and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick, which is a Beatle book, of course, but not exactly a bio.  More of just a collection of opinions, as if you were reading his diary.

Bobber

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 07:39:53 AM »

Quote from: 828
I'm on page 805, and I'm lovin' it.  Of course, its my first Beatle book, so I really have nothing to compare it to.  So far, from being a member of this Forum, I haven't run across any contradictions.  And no, I have not clicked on those links.  Maybe I'll wait until I'm finished with the book.

I've read Here, There, and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick, which is a Beatle book, of course, but not exactly a bio.  More of just a collection of opinions, as if you were reading his diary.

You will come to see that George and Patti really didn't meet on the set of Help! for a start.

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 08:36:15 PM »

I just bought this book today

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »

Quote from: 687
I just bought this book today

Pity.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »

So then, which is your "perfect Beatle book?"  Enlighten us poor pitiful souls who have stumbled upon and wasted money on "trash."

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 07:54:52 AM »

Quote from: 828
So then, which is your "perfect Beatle book?"  Enlighten us poor pitiful souls who have stumbled upon and wasted money on "trash."

Read this thread if you want to know. There's lots of good books and it depends and what part you want to know more about. Spitz' book is just full of errors and the story of The Beatles is already paved with it. I certainly hope you'll find this a satisfying answer, pitiful soul.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 01:48:40 PM »

What's funny is that, before I came here, I was reading about Spitz's book on DVDTalk.com, and they said Spitz's book was the new 'definitive' book on the Beatles, as opposed to the one that was approved by the Beatles themselves (I forget who at the moment...Hunter Davis, I think was the author).

Guess those folks, all of them, are misinformed.  I'm not being sarcastic, either, Mr. Bobber.

Bobber

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 02:03:03 PM »

What's funny is that most critics think it's a great book. Most Beatlesfans I've asked about it, think it is terrible. It depends on who you want to believe. A lot of critics tend to not read 900 pages of a Beatlesbook. Most Beatlesfans do.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 04:32:30 PM »

Spitz's book started out promising-- didn't he give a lot of info on Liverpool history? (I mix up my Beatles books because I only borrow them out of the library). So reading the beginning, it looks good. If you go in farther, it gets less and less good until it's all the same old recycled rumor-filled uninsightful stuff that I find in most Beatles books.

I need to write my own!  ;D
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 11:18:07 PM »

Quote from: 551
Spitz's book started out promising-- didn't he give a lot of info on Liverpool history? (I mix up my Beatles books because I only borrow them out of the library). So reading the beginning, it looks good. If you go in farther, it gets less and less good until it's all the same old recycled rumor-filled uninsightful stuff that I find in most Beatles books.

y'know what, i think the same, i'm just finishing it off! quite a long read.
It's a well-written book but strange facts that i've never heard in the Beatle
history before. sometimes i wonder at these writers.
don't get me wrong, i do liked Spitz's work but it's quite an odd book i find.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 02:06:31 PM »

^ I think he was under deadline, and just ran out of time!  ::) ;D

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 10:50:29 PM »

I've read to about page 500 and there's more errors than I can count

beatleslover2

• A Beginning
  • The beatles forever, and ever.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 03:38:49 PM »

im reading it right now im on about page 100 and it's alright so far
<br /><br /><br />Ill be your Lovely Rita<br />peace &amp;&amp; lovee

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 07:24:06 PM »

This book is a long, tedious read.  It took me forever to get thru the book.  And yes, lots and lots of errors.......

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »

Quote from: 551
If you go in farther, it gets less and less good until it's all the same old recycled rumor-filled uninsightful stuff that I find in most Beatles books.

That was my reaction, too. I took two cracks at reading it and gave up both times. The critics, I suspect, were reading each other's reviews instead of the book.

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 03:55:17 AM »

I said "sh it man, that book is too big.... lol my sister gave it to me 'cause she didn't want it so now its sitting on a shelf here in my room
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 84 queries.