Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87564 times)

KelMar

Re: Books
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 04:36:25 AM »

I was very surprised that 11/22/63 came in for me today. I didn't even cheat to get it. Now I have two weeks to read this massive tome.  :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 10:17:08 PM »

I was very surprised that 11/22/63 came in for me today. I didn't even cheat to get it. Now I have two weeks to read this massive tome.  :)
Ahahaha! Good luck! Hope you enjoy it!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

KelMar

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:44 AM »

Ahahaha! Good luck! Hope you enjoy it!

It grabbed me right from the start. I'd forgotten what a marvelous storyteller King is. I tend to shy away from scary things. LOL

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »

Wow, that's great, Kelley! Happy reading!  :D

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »

I haven't really liked a Stephen King book since Misery, I think, which is disappointing, because I LOVE his earlier stuff (e.g., The Shining, Carrie, etc.).

I finished 'Misery' about two weeks ago and loved it. Probably one of the best books I've ever read. I love Stephen King, I've also read 'Shining'  'Carrie' and there are two more King books on my shelf waiting to be read.

An interesting fact about King is that he was kind of a mass until 1988. He was doing all sorts of drugs, alcohol and medicine and just staying in his house all day and writing. He was often found asleep laying on the ground in his own puke. 'The Tommyknockers' is his last book written during those years. So Normandie, that may be the reason why you enjoy his earlier stuff. Crazy and messy years, but brilliant work came with those, too.

Another interesting fact is that usually King writes about whatever he is afraid of. However, his biggest fear are spiders and it's been said that that is the only fear of his that he has not yet found the courage to face. :)

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2012, 12:07:57 AM »

An interesting fact about King is that he was kind of a mass until 1988. He was doing all sorts of drugs, alcohol and medicine and just staying in his house all day and writing. He was often found asleep laying on the ground in his own puke. 'The Tommyknockers' is his last book written during those years. So Normandie, that may be the reason why you enjoy his earlier stuff. Crazy and messy years, but brilliant work came with those, too.

Another interesting fact is that usually King writes about whatever he is afraid of. However, his biggest fear are spiders and it's been said that that is the only fear of his that he has not yet found the courage to face. :)
Very interesting indeed! It always fascinates me to know why authors write about what they write. What inspires them, and such like.
Thanks for sharing, 5thB :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »

Yes, that is interesting indeed. I had no idea of any details about Stephen King's background. Thanks for sharing!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »

Kelley, how's 11/22/63 going? Or should I say, how did it go? Are you finished yet? Did you enjoy it?

I'm reading The Help, which my daughter got me for Christmas. Then it's on to We Need to Talk About Kevin, which looks a little creepy but interesting.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 04:52:56 AM »

I just finished Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. It was a great read, I just love his style.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 05:58:52 AM »

Read Birdsong a few weeks ago and decided to start on Charlotte Grey. I love Sebastian Faulks writing. Starting to get into Charlotte now

KelMar

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »

Kelley, how's 11/22/63 going? Or should I say, how did it go? Are you finished yet? Did you enjoy it?

I'm reading The Help, which my daughter got me for Christmas. Then it's on to We Need to Talk About Kevin, which looks a little creepy but interesting.

Kathy, I'm not ignoring your question; I still haven't finished! I keep thinking, "Oh, I'll be done with this then I'll answer." What looks like almost done with a book this size is several hundred more pages. It is fantastic though and may knock "The Help" out of the number one position on my list of favorites. How do you like "The Help" so far?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »

Hi Kelley! Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I still have not gotten down to the local library to get my name on the waiting list. 

I am really enjoying The Help. It started off a little slow for me -- I think just because I've read Gone With the Wind so many times I have Margaret Mitchell's style of writing the dialogue stuck in my head -- but now I can't put it down! It just gets better and better. It's always such a pleasure to read a really engrossing book.  :)

KelMar

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »

I finally finished! It was everything a book should be; suspenseful, thought-provoking and even funny. Stephen King seems very cool; he obviously knows and loves music as he put a lot of references to songs and musicians in the story. To sum the whole thing up, the past is obdurate; it does not want people messing about with it!

Have you seen the movie version of The Help? I'm told it's as good as the book. We'll see; I have it here and will watch it tomorrow. I haven't seen a movie do justice to a book since Gone With the Wind!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »

Now I'm doubly excited to read it.  :)   I meant to mention earlier that yes, one can definitely tell that Stephen King knows his rock music. That's another thing I love about his books: So many of them are peppered with great music lyrics.

I haven't seen the movie version of The Help yet, but I plan to as soon as I finish the book, which should be pretty soon, I hope. I'm a bit swamped with work this week, but I can always squeeze in some fun reading.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »

Finished The Help; now I'm reading 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz. I can't put it down! I've read a lot of his books, and this one is, so far, the best.

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »

At the moment I'm reading Cell by Stephen King.

KelMar

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »

Finished The Help; now I'm reading 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz. I can't put it down! I've read a lot of his books, and this one is, so far, the best.

Kathy, another one you might enjoy is The Kitchen House. http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-House-Novel-Kathleen-Grissom/dp/1439153663
I haven't read Dean Koontz but he is very popular around here. Right now I am reading Kristin Hannah's Home Front. I always pounce on her new books as soon as they come out. I also have Living in the Material World checked out. That's one I can't haul back and forth to work!

Quote from: Jema
At the moment I'm reading Cell by Stephen King.

One of his really scary ones, huh? Are you enjoying it?

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 01:14:59 AM »

One of his really scary ones, huh? Are you enjoying it?
  Yes,it's really good so far!I'm at the part where they found the football field full of the people - that was really creepy!That's cool you read 11/22/63 - I'm probably going to read that one when I'm done.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »

Great posts everyone! Excuze the laziness, but I am too lazy (!) to quote y'all....! ;D

Good review about 11/22/63 - but I dont know if I am ready enough to go through another SK book... not yet. I need big rests after King books, and especially after Dark Night No Stars I need a REST. Its not that it was scary but mostly disturbing...

Dean Koontz - so you would recommend him? I see his books in shops and libraries all the time.... How would you describe his writing?

As for me, I couldnt resist another Ben Elton hehe. Reading now Past Mortem. So far so good!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »

I somehow missed the last few posts in this thread. Thanks for the recommendation of The Kitchen House, Kelley -- I'll have to look for that.

I ended up putting down 77 Shadow Street; it started off so great, but then it started to drag, and drag, and.....drag. I finally put it on the shelf and started I'll Walk Alone by Mary Higgins Clark.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes, not sure if you were directing your query about Dean Koontz at anyone in particular, but in my own opinion, Dean Koontz is a great author, although his endings tend to be a bit disappointing. Although I didn't care for 77 Shadow Street, most of his other ones are pretty good. His books are easy reads and interesting as well as creepy. I can recommend some specific titles, if you like.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Page created in 0.68 seconds with 74 queries.