Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New York Post Archive of Beatles Interviews - 2/11/1964  (Read 3641 times)

Casbah

• A Beginning
New York Post Archive of Beatles Interviews - 2/11/1964
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »

Never read this before.
In 1964, when four mop-topped musicians landed at JFK airport in New York, setting off Beatlemania in America, The New York Post published intimate essays by John, Ringo, Paul and George detailing their new-found fame (via the Universal Press Association). Fifty years later, we open our archives to bring you those stories. Today: the world according to Ringo Starr. Tomorrow: Life with John Lennon. 

I’m the small one with the big nose. They’re always pulling my leg about my nose. And because I’m only 2ft. 9 in. (actually 5 feet 8 inches) they introduce me on the stage as the Midget.
I fold up when they say that — well, I did for the first 300 times.

I’m also the oldest one — 23. Middle-aged, really. But if anybody asks I always say John’s the oldest because he looks so much older. I mean, he could be our father really — if he was a bit better looking.

It doesn’t seem that only a short while ago we did the Royal Variety performance. It was great meeting all those people, like Marlene Dietrich.
People said to me: “Didn’t you feel embarrassed among all those experienced performers when you’ve only been in the business a year?”
Well, I suppose we were a bit embarrassed. But it’s not up to us. What can we do? We were a bit nervous — well, we just went on and did what we always do and they seemed to like it.

I know we’re always making cracks about being simple, unspoiled lads. But honest, all this rush of publicity hasn’t made us any different.

We still get a great kick out of seeing our names in the papers. It’s not so long ago that we had to struggle to get a line in the papers.

It’s great while it lasts — and we all know that it could all end in a year, or even in a couple of months.

It’s fabulous to have so many fans, even though it means that we’re prisoners in every theatre we play. I see that some people have been saying that we’re a burden on the police and all that.
But the police don’t seem to mind. When we played at one town, a police sergeant told us that every copper in the station had volunteered for the job of getting us in and out of the theatre.

More here:

http://nypost.com/1964/02/09/the-beatles-ringo-starrs-own-story/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Paul McCartney
http://nypost.com/1964/02/11/trade-secrets-of-a-beatle-how-the-songs-get-written/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

John Lennon
http://nypost.com/1964/02/10/a-beatle-buffs-and-a-baby/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:03:41 AM by Casbah »
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Casbah

• A Beginning
Re: New York Post Archive of Beatles Interviews - 2/11/1964
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:07:15 AM »

....And a brilliant quote from John that applies to many generations and genres since rock was born..

Well, we don’t profess to be brilliant musicians. But the kids don’t want brilliant musicians. I’d be the first to admit that our success is out of all proportion to our musical talent.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »

Thanks for posting that excerpt Casbah. I couldn't get to the articles; the links take me to a search box, but there are a lot of other great articles to be found there. There's this website too: http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/  There's tons of interview transcripts there.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:04:48 PM »

Interesting! I wonder why John referred to his son as "John"? Also, I know Cynthia was on the trip, and that "Sorry girls, he's married" was flashed under his image on the Ed Sullivan show, but I thought they basically tried to keep the whole marriage-and-newborn thing hush-hush. I can't remember where, specifically, I read that, though.

Thanks for sharing, Casbah!

KelMar

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »

So the link worked for you Kathy? Hmm...I've tried Firefox and Internet Explorer and I still can't get it to work.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »

So the link worked for you Kathy? Hmm...I've tried Firefox and Internet Explorer and I still can't get it to work.

I'm using Internet Explorer....an older version because I upgraded to 11 and then none of my publication center sites (e.g., ScholarOne) were compatible so I had to un-install it and reinstall.

If I were more of a techie, I could probably help, Kelley.  ???  Sorry I'm not able to.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »

It looks like the Post took down the links or moved them. Not sure why they would do that.

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »

It looks like the Post took down the links or moved them. Not sure why they would do that.

I'm sorry I missed those but at least now I know I'm not losing my mind. LOL

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:54:48 AM »

I'm sorry I missed those but at least now I know I'm not losing my mind. LOL

Hmmmmm.  Perhaps the Ali MacGraw Ward.

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »

Hmmmmm.  Perhaps the Ali MacGraw Ward.

Naw, I'm not that crazy...yet. I still know that love sometimes means having to say you're sorry.

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 53 queries.