Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles  (Read 9865 times)

Casbah

• A Beginning
The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »

This is being broadcast on Feb. 9th.

Do you think Paul or Ringo will make an appearance?

So far, the lineup is pretty Ho-hum.

NEW YORK (AP) — The Eurythmics are reuniting — to pay tribute to the Beatles.

The Recording Academy announced Monday that Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart will perform as a duo for "The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles." The event will be taped at the Los Angeles Convention Center on Jan. 27, a day after the Grammy Awards.

Longtime Grammys producer Ken Ehrlich, who is also producing the Beatles special, thought the Eurythmics would be ideal to honor the iconic group.

"When it came around to booking this show, what I felt was important was to try and find those artists who not only would be able to interpret Beatles songs, but would also have an ... understanding of what they meant," he said in an interview.

The Eurythmics, who sold millions of albums and whose hits include "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)," released their debut in 1981. Ehrlich said Lennox and Stewart, who have launched successful solo careers, are thrilled to perform in tribute to the Beatles.

Ehrlich wouldn't say which Beatles tune the British duo would perform, but John Mayer and Keith Urban will pair up to perform "Don't Let Me Down," while Alicia Keys and John Legend will perform a duet on "Let It Be." Maroon 5 also will hit the stage.

The special will air on CBS on Feb. 9 — exactly 50 years after the Beatles made their U.S. debut on "The Ed Sullivan Show." An estimated 73 million viewers tuned in to watch the event, which has become one of the world's top cultural moments.

"They really did change people's lives, so what I'm hoping this show ... gets across is the message that occasionally in history we are touched by certain artists who have a profound effect on us beyond just the music that they make," Ehrlich said.

Ehrlich wouldn't confirm if Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr would attend the event, although the Beatles will be honored with a lifetime achievement award two days earlier at the Recording Academy's Special Merit Awards in Los Angeles.

The special will include about a dozen performances, Ehrlich said. More performers will be announced at a later date.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:27:31 AM »

Ringo will probably make an appearance since Dave Stewart is putting some effort into it. A duet by John Mayer and Keith Urban? Maroon 5? Yeah, no thanks. Hope somebody likes it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »

Oh, I'd heard the Eurythmics were reuniting for some event but was not aware of this Beatles tribute. Very cool. I'm looking forward to other shows commemorating the anniversary of February 1964 as well. Note to self: Start clearing out the DVR queue!

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »

Im going to go out on a limb and say I think they will both be there and surprise everyone. There aren't too many of these milestones left. Paul seems to be a little more open to these hokey, one-shot type of events. 
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:58:52 AM »

The Grammys havent been relevant for years. With the appalling stuff that passes for music these days winning them, well, big deal.

And yeah, TK, those artists covering the songs are pretty lame too. Get someone like the Boss or Eddie Vedder. People who know music.

Yawn...

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »

Yeah, I'm excited about it. Definitely adding it to the DVR list.  partypeople

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »

They will both perform seperately.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 01:02:59 AM »

This will be a Youtube deal at the most for me.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 04:05:22 AM »

They will both perform seperately.

I certainly hope that is not the case.

This article leads you to believe that they will perform together, but I wouldn't put it past Paul to put up some kind of obstacle to it.

I recently watched the documentary Sound City and Paul was in it, visiting the guys from Nirvana and jamming with them. If he can make time for them, playing whatever crap song they wrote together, he can certainly carve out some time to jam a few songs with Ringo for a special occasion. Enough is enough already.  Just f***ing DO IT. Make everyone happy and you never have to do it again if you don't want.

The article also mentions the possibility that they could even go on Letterman, which shoots in the old Ed Sullivan theatre.

Lastly, the article refers to them as ex-Beatles which I'm not sure I agree with. Pete Best is an ex-Beatle. I'm convinced that Paul and Ringo are Beatles even if they don't wanna be  ;D

http://www.spin.com/articles/grammys-2014-beatles-paul-mccartney-ringo-starr-taylor-swift/

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 04:32:15 AM »

Yea, it's not like those two working together is some kind of taboo. They did it for Anthology, Concert for George, etc. Get real.

roll:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »

Yea, it's not like those two working together is some kind of taboo. They did it for Anthology, Concert for George, etc. Get real.

roll:)
Priceless!!!!!!  ;yes

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 04:06:44 AM »

Another article about the Paul and Ringo playing together as the finale to the show.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/01/24/paul-mccartney-ringo-starr-cirque-love-to-cap-beatles-tribute/4838959/

BeatleChick

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 06:51:54 AM »

I'm looking forward to it. It should be good, however it pans out (who plays with who, etc). Counting down the hours now.  ;D
Peace, Love, and Beatles!

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 08:26:13 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 01:09:03 AM »

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr - Queenie Eye 2014 Grammys HD
I can stay till it's time to go

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 04:59:54 AM »

I'll tell you what, I'm not sure if they sweetened the audio, adding in screams, but that audience reception was something else, eh? 

Oh, and if you want the spoilers for the 9th, (as in, who is playing what) here they are..

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mccartney-and-starr-team-again-as-eurythmics-grohl-honor-the-beatles-20140128

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »

Welp I guess that's as good as we're going to get. Wasn't tooo terrible, although I wish Paul and Ringo had played a couple more songs, but overall, I was happy with it. I seriously got chills when Dhani sang Something with Jeff Lynne. It f***ing sounded like George.  Interestingly, Dhani looks a little LESS like his father these days.  But I was thinking, damn, just let the kid sing it, it would've been a special moment.

Anyway there was a point where I thought it would be hilarious if Yoko Ono got up there and started caterwauling to one of the tribute songs.  But that thought didn't last very long :) ha2ha

KelMar

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:18 PM »

I seriously got chills when Dhani sang Something with Jeff Lynne. But I was thinking, damn, just let the kid sing it, it would've been a special moment.

I found that very touching too and I agree; it would have been nice if he sang it.

Anyway there was a point where I thought it would be hilarious if Yoko Ono got up there and started caterwauling to one of the tribute songs.  But that thought didn't last very long :) ha2ha

I was really afraid she might! Thank goodness she just danced. Overall I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »

Yeah that crazy dance.  Not sure why she couldn't just sit there and let them have their moment without drawing attention to herself. But, that's Yoko.

I guess I need to resign myself to the fact that we'll never get a quality Paul/Ringo concert ever. This was good, but 2 songs? Really?

It's apparent that Paul does NOT want to play with Ringo any longer. He goes through the motions for certain events, like Ringo's bday or Concert For George but it's clear that he'd rather just play with his own band.
I was hoping for at least a She Loves You or a IWTHYH which makes sense to ME, that on a 50th anniversary, they would play some of the songs that helped launch Beatlemania, but I think I need to remove my ego from the equation and just accept that what I expect will never happen and that's all there is to it.

Anyway, that's all I got.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 87 queries.