Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: George's Worst Album  (Read 13514 times)

glass onion

• Getting Better
Re: George's Worst Album
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2009, 07:34:28 PM »

"george harrison"is a cracking album in my opinion.i rate "blow away"as one of georges'very best songs,what lovely,lovely chord changes.however,i must say that "dark horse"is a dull album.dear old george-my fave beatle-the most honest,the funniest,cut-thru-the-bullsh*t.he was never topping all things must pass.nothing to be ashamed of though.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2009, 09:33:42 PM »

As George is may favorite Beatle, I do not think any of his albums were bad. There are some that do not hit the turntable or CD player very often. Those are Dark Horse and Extra Texture. This does not mean I think they are bad, in fact often when I listen to them, I remember that they are pretty good.

The hardest one to listen to is Electronic Sound. Even that one has some interesting moments.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2009, 10:31:56 AM »

Quote from: 1918

Are you kidding?!  "Woman Don't You Cry For Me" kicks ass.  "This Song" is the funniest parody of the My Sweet Lord affair. "See Yourself" and "It's What You Value" are philosophies we all should follow.  "Learning How to Love You" is one of his best all-time ballads with a great acoustic guitar solo.

(Also, pre-MTV wonderfully produced videos of This Song and Crackerbox Palace at his home on F.P.H.O.T.)

Hello jimik3567 (if that is indeed your real name)
"Philosophies we all should follow" is officially the worst reason for recommending a rock song. There are a million christian rock albums chocker full of P.w.a.s.f. Race you to the store?
"This song ain't black or white and as far as I know
Don't infringe on anyone's copyright, so . . ."
Stop it George you're killing me. An old lady falling over on the pavement and all the tomotoes in her bag roll down the road - now THAT'S funny.
"Woman Don't You Cry For Me" kicks ass. Your use of the term "kick ass" convinces me that you and I will never agree on what constitutes a good tune, so all the power to you if that's what you hear.
And lets face it, people had been making "pre-MTV videos" for years before this.

don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »

Oh my, love really is blind isn't it. Some albums are just sh*t, aren't they? Whoever they're by. I've been a huge fan of John Martyn for 33 years, but I'll readily admit that a few of his albums are utter sh*te. And no amount of love for his music will change that. Extra Texture really is rubbish, isn't it?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2009, 03:46:18 AM »

I'd have to say it's my least-favorite album as well. Most of George's albums have at least one song that shines for me and I'll say, "Hey, I've got to put that on again!" But ET didn't have a stand-out track for me (personal taste). According to Wiki:

Harrison himself would later designate the album as his worst.

Which brings me to my favorite topic-- critic bashing! They liked this one better than "Dark Horse", which I think is a more emotional album with better songs overall. And "Gone Troppo" was panned, which I think is indeed "a fun, loose album", as Jimik says. In fact, that's one of the ones I play most often, because it's so light-hearted.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2009, 06:01:31 PM »

why is Electronic Sounds not on here??

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2009, 02:08:43 AM »

Hmm, good point. Perhaps because everyone realizes it's not a proper album. Was it marketed as one in the day?
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »

I've been slowly getting into George over the last few years , my only real experience  of him for many years was All Things Must Pass .
All the albums i've heard from him thus far are not as good as ATMP .
But if you accept the fact he's not going to top that album and explore his other albums their is much to like and admire i find 33 1/3 , Cloud Nine and now Brainwashed to be on the whole quite satisfying albums .
Yes George does'nt have the best voice and his songwriting is  less than genius , but i'm finding him to be a very interesting artist there is something very ramshackle about his work which i like .
Not everything you listen too as to be five star classic album ?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »

I love that word: "ramshackle." Kind of a cool way to describe his work!

Yes, George is very laid back and random about his music. There's an air of "I'm just having fun here" that I really appreciate. He's more on the exploratory side than the ambitious end. I think that's why he never quite bothered to get Brainwashed together in his lifetime. It was all good-- it would get out sooner or later-- or not. He was mainly going to relax and enjoy the time he had left with his family-- a kind of priority and focus that appeals to me.

I'm glad you like the albums. Feel free to discuss them further; I enjoy hearing your opinions. Cheers!

Pegasus

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2009, 02:54:09 PM »

For me it has to be "Dark Horse"

It was recorded at certainly one of the very  LOWEST points in George's post Beatles years...

His FIRST sign of health problems....during a USA Tour he got "Bleeding in the throat" & his voice started to crack up....leading towards his first brush with Cancer...he ended up filling shows with Instrumentals...to critical hammering !

Hence the opening "Jam like" Instrumental "Hari's on Tour"....hardly a very impressive start...

....and sadly George's clearly struggling  voice on songs like "Ding Dong Ding Dong" sounds quite AWFUL.... like he'd been swallowing Razor blades (Similar to Elton John  later on his "Live in Australia" album...when Elton also had a throat cancer scare....and Harry Nillsson on "girl privatecats" too...when he too had a Bad throat  !)

George's  first marriage to Patti had just collapsed...as she went off with his Best pal Eric Clapton...hence the weird revamp of The Everly's "Bye Bye Love"  - with odd unkind Parody Lyrics....

"So Sad" has exquisite heart rending guitar lines...but such an agonised vocal....so depressing...yet it's still a memorable song for the guitar lines alone...

...along with "Maya Love" & "Simply Shady" it's about all I can listen to on the album...tho' "Dark Horse" is not too bad either....

For me "Far East Man" sounds a total Mess...were they all drunk ? - it needs re-arranging & remixing at least...

The Album cover was weird too...George's  School pic I guess...but this was hardly likely to draw the Average music fan to it....was it ?

while a dis-interested serious looking George wearily slumped on a park Bench...looking like a tramp...hardly made for a good image....considering what say Paul with Wings, or John were doing at this time...

the Fact George then so quickly came back...when his throat was better...with "Extra Texture" - with a SMILING George depicted on the inner cover....suggests he too was keen to Re-establish his solo credentials after this sub standard effort...

others may dislike his other Albums...yet for me they each have their Strengths...yet "Dark Horse" sees George at a really Low point both Health wise & emotionally too...luckily he came through it....

The Album ...and it's single ('B' side was "I Don't Care Anymore"....how apt !) was er Mercilessly CRUCIFIED in the Rock Press at the time too....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 60 queries.