Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lady Linda: Misunderstood  (Read 6714 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Lady Linda: Misunderstood
« on: August 01, 2004, 08:55:28 PM »

Well, I wrote this at like 3:00 in the morning so it might be complete sh*t, but I'd like to get some feedback, anyway. Be brutal.

Last night I was talking about Beatles wives and girlfriends with my mom and aunts, and I happened to mention that I thought all the people who came out praising Linda (Paul McCartney's wife) saying how she was such a good person (which she was), etc, were hypocrites, because 80% of them were probably the ones who were trashing her all over the place before she got breast cancer. I told them about how much I admire Linda, her great marriage with Paul, and her photography.
Well, one of my aunts said that she "never really liked" Linda, and then went on to say some horrid things that I don't really want to repeat, basically calling her a liar and a slut. I felt like telling her to shut up, but I didn't, because, well, 14-year-olds don't tell their aunts to shut up, for obvious reasons. So therefore I had to sit in angered silence, listening to her bash this wonderful woman with utter disregards to the facts that were lying right in front of her face. When I got home I was seething with rage at her ignorance and that's what compelled me to get up at 2:44 AM to write this article.
In my opinion, anyone who hates a Beatlegirl (except in the case of Yoko) is probably just jealous. Stupid, nieve little fangirls who think that they're going to marry some rock star who is ten years older than them. That really just make me laugh. I mean, does that kind of thing ever happen in real life?
Anyways, despite her lack of musical ability, Linda was truly a great person. Did you ever see her photography? It's excellent! In fact, the last photoshoot The Beatles ever did was with her. Lady Lindy had a way with rock stars, she made them feel at ease, and relaxed. This is what made her such a respected photographer. She was also very socially aware and involved in many charities.
Most importantly, she was exactly what Paul needed, a strong-minded woman who could show him that he wasn't always right. Like his ex-girlfriend Jane Asher, Linda could usually set Paul straight when he was about to do something stupid. Of course, she couldn't prevent him from doing every stupid thing (McCartney/Lennon, anyone?  ) but for the most part she usually stopped him. While it's true that she was the one who put the bee in his bonnet about vegetarianism, I think that was likely to happen anyway, what with the whole "hippie" era and the "rock stars doing good" fad, which apparantly never ended. Besides, two of Paul's bandmates were also vegetarian, so, even if Linda hadn't talked it into him one of them would have, most likely. And it's not like there's anything wrong with being a vegetarian in the first place! Sure, sometimes Sir Paul gets a little carried away, but his intentions are good, and he means well. Linda usually managed to keep him in line, though. It's only recently that his touring demands have become so ridiculous.
Have you noticed how the ratio of stupid things he's done went down after he married her and up after she passed away? Of course, it doesn't help that his young new wife Heather Mills (affectionately refferred to on Beatles forums as "The one-legged Yoko") has been encouraging his stupid behaviour. You don't want to get me started on her, though.
To all the people out there who think Linda "conned" Paul into marrying her, (I sincerly hope there are not that many of you) I say, GROW UP! I mean, for goodness sake. Just look at their incredible marriage! They were married for almost 30 years! That's a record in rock history! And did you know that for all those years they were married, they were not apart a night, save for the 10 days Paul spent in jail for possesion of marijuana?
And another thing to consider is that she was his muse. if it weren't for Linda, we wouldn't have such great songs as "My Love" or "Maybe I'm Amazed" (both of which Paul has said hold great meaning to him). Although Linda may have insipred Paul to write his fair share of "Silly Love Songs" she also inspired him to write the touching and beautiful ballads that made him so successful.
You know, some people tend to think that since I have such a huge crush on Paul, I would be jealous of his wife. And I am- a little. But to tell you the truth, if Paul couldn't marry me (which he most certainly couldn't) I'm glad he married "The Lovely Linda". I hope that today's generation of female Beatles fans as well as tomorrow's generation realize this, and instead of hating her, they look up to her. In fact, this rule could apply for any Beatlegirl, regardless of who they married, like George's first wife Patti Boyd (also despised) and Ringo's first wife Maureen Cox (ditto). We could take a page out of some certain girl's books, because there was actually a fan club formed in England for John's first wife Cynthia Lennon, who married John before The Beatles hit it big. It's obvious that you're never going to marry your celebrity crush, so why not just be happy for those who did?
So in conclusion, I would like to say that Linda McCartney most certainly did not deserve the hatred and loathing that she recieved from so many irrational teenybopper fans. She was a kind-hearted human being who really cared about others. And, I hate to end this article on a cliche, but, there is one thing I would like to say to all the Linda haters out there: "What did she ever do to you?"

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Re: Lady Linda: Misunderstood
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 10:28:07 PM »

In my opinion, anyone who hates a Beatlegirl (except in the case of Yoko) is probably just jealous.

I happen to agree with everything you've said regarding Linda, but I don't understand why it's still okay to bash Yoko. Why is that? Because she's Japanese? Because she didn't smile all the time? I'm not even sure you're doing this, but generally speaking I

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 10:34:19 PM »

I'm not a Yoko hater myself, but I know that some people are not only just jealous of her.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 10:56:18 PM »

I feel Your statements on heather Mccartney are sheer opinionated and absurd.
Although I have little love for Heather Mccartney, I feel the tabloids have given her the Yoko Ono title for the irony and the sake of selling papers.
He is getting old, yes, but his family concern is no ones business, and I feel the tabloid image of Heather Mills is for naive and cynical people.

I feel the same can be said for Yoko Ono, although her often critical remarks on the Beatles Music etc has very little concrete foundations considering I would class her as an artist, and not a muscian.
 Although she never smiled, she did create a wedge...although a wedge that was already there. I think Yoko Ono could have a compulsive nature..and she is often seen as been very manipulative...whether this is again a tabloid creation..I will never know..nor care about.
 I dont really care for Yoko Ono, not because of her so called 'breaking up the Beatles' but for her attitude towards music as a whole, and the stories of her annyoing and selfish decisons when regarding the other 3 beatles and the Lennon estate.

Oh, and her destroying of Lennon and Berry's Live performance of Memphis Tennessee :)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 11:46:26 PM »

My only gripe with Yoko is that she hogged up too much of Johns albums. As for Heather, I think that shes a manipulative b**** that got involved with Paul just for the social status. She stated that she never really knew who the Beatles were,,,,,,,come on!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 03:31:09 PM »

I know, I feel that textbook line " I havnt heard the Beatles" must be like Honey to a Bee.
I seen her being interviewed on Parkinson, and she done herself no favours.

Yoko also claimed she handnt heard of the Beatles...Only Ringo..because his name translates in Japanese.

hmmmm.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 06:26:46 PM »

I feel Your statements on heather Mccartney are sheer opinionated and absurd.

Fine. I feel the same about the tired old cliches against Yoko.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 06:29:31 PM »

I know, I feel that textbook line " I havnt heard the Beatles" must be like Honey to a Bee.
I seen her being interviewed on Parkinson, and she done herself no favours.

Yoko also claimed she handnt heard of the Beatles...Only Ringo..because his name translates in Japanese.

hmmmm.

I don't find it hard to believe that Yoko might not originally have known each Beatle (like John Lennon) imediately by their individual names. I'd bet she knew them as The Beatles, though.

As for Heather, give me a break. She knows The Beatles. And she darn well knew of Paul McCartney. She's more manipulative than Yoko ever was. But she gets away with it because she lost a leg, and it's 2000 (the Beatles have long ago broken up) instead of 1968 (Beatles are still together). And because she's easier on the eyes.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 07:34:49 PM »

I feel the same way about Heather as I do Yoko and Linda, Maureen and Brabara Bach.

I do not know them.  In spite of years of some good but mainly bad publicity they have all suffered somewhat the same fate (except Barbara and to a lesser extent Maureen).

I am not quick to condemn Heather...I saw her on some interview shows and she came off very badly.  That doesn't mean anything about her personally.  It means she is a bad interviewee.

Linda was as hated initially as Yoko, for she took one of the two main Beatles, the cute unmarried one, and broke a lot of hearts.  She was plain and such and people (girls) didn't understand what he saw in her.

I think Wingspan was an exceptional documentary in bringing out what it was he saw, what she gave him and why it mattered.  And once she died, like John, suddenly she acquired a halo.  It's an odd phenomenon but there it is.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 10:25:19 PM »

I am not quick to condemn Heather...I saw her on some interview shows and she came off very badly.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 10:43:46 PM »

Think of the amount of people (fans) Paul and Ringo have seen etc.
When you have lived their sort of life, you dont know how they are going to react to a fan. It kind of spoils the moment for you..but its life.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 10:47:57 PM »

We've talked about this in another PAUL thread. I understand all about the tough days that poor Ringo and Paul have (and don't we all, and with far less $$$ ?) , but it's no excuse in my opinion. Rotten behavior isn't accepted when you or I have a bad day; I just don't think celebs get a free pass.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 03:57:52 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1091393728,s=9 date=1091485519]

Yes, but from our standpoint, what else can we judge people on?[/quote]

Who are we to judge anyone? :)

From the interviews I've seen, it doesn't look like she just doesn't handle interviews well. On one of these she said something to the effect: "I'm the boss, and Paul knows it".

Maybe you did but that's kind of vague.  I have neither seen that nor heard it before.

That's an outright statement about who she is and how she feels, not how she handles an interview. Whenever you see her, she has this way about her - even when there's live candid footage of her backstage with Paul or something, and she's not being talked to by a reporter.

OK, I respectfully submit these are simple impressions you are taking away from this.  Anyone else would be getting any number of different impressions.

Linda always struck me as timid and nervous and laid back in interviews. Whatever the case, she never sounded as domineering as Heather did.

And Yoko has always been far more upfront than Cynthia.   

I don't pretend to know any of these people, but all I can go by is what I see or - in a personal case - how they treated me. Linda and Yoko were terrific and sweet to me; Paul and Ringo were not. Ironic, isn't it...?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 08:01:08 PM »

I seem to recall Heather saying something along the lines of, "Paul is a man and all men need to be bossed around." I'm sure no one here would agree with that statemant.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 08:14:32 PM »

Paul doesn't strike me as the type of person that would be so easily bossed around. In fact doesn't he have the reputation for being bossy himself? But maybe he's mellowed in his old age. Just needs someone to bring him is Geritol and tell him what to do for the day. ;D

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 08:22:23 PM »

Who are we to judge anyone?

Oboy -- you and I are gonna have some rough sailing, I fear :)

Charlie -- what are you talking about? Don't you judge Bush? Didn't you judge Michael Savage? Don't you have feelings pro/con regarding any score of people? Maybe you don't like the use of the word "judge"... but we all do this - yourself included. We form opinions of people based on what we see.

Maybe you did but that's kind of vague.

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 08:56:56 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1091393728,s=15 date=1091564543]

Oboy -- you and I are gonna have some rough sailing, I fear :)

***Nah.

Charlie -- what are you talking about? Don't you judge Bush? Didn't you judge Michael Savage? Don't you have feelings pro/con regarding any score of people? Maybe you don't like the use of the word "judge"... but we all do this - yourself included. We form opinions of people based on what we see.

***Touche, to a point.  Bush is being judged by YEARS of his actions and inactions.  Savage, I confess, is a knee jerk reaction as having heard him and his ilk and not caring for him.

***To judge Heather on less than a handful of appearances?  I submit that is still silly....and I might add when I asked who can judge I DID leave a smiley there.  Y'know.  More or less joking?

Not "maybe" I saw this -- definitely. You missed that one? Oh well, can't catch 'em all.
But you've seen enough to say she doesn't come off well.

***I said the first interview I saw with her (maybe it was the first two) I got the same unfavorable impression.  The next few I saw after that she was fine, friendly and warm.  So which one do I believe?  Was it her performance or my impressions?

Yet it's AMAZING all the negative impressions people are "allowed" to get about Yoko! ;)
Yes, Charlie -- these are my impressions. That's "Impressions".

***Yoko has been critical mass for decades on insults and shady thoughts.  Nothing she can do about it now save produce another Christ-child.  HEATHER, on the other hand (who is the subject still, right?) is fresh meat! :D

Agreed. And much worthier of John's soul, apparently. John liked that about her -- Cynthia may have been more physically acceptable and quiet for the fans, but she always had the personality and challenge of a tree stump. John needed someone much deeper. Thankfully for him, he found her.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 10:18:59 PM »

If anyone else has some comments the article itself and not just John and Yoko or Paul and Linda they would be greatly appreciated. :)

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 10:45:13 PM »

Oboy -- you and I are gonna have some rough sailing, I fear

***Nah.

It's a relief to hear you say that! Glad to hear it :)

***Touche, to a point.  Bush is being judged by YEARS of his actions and inactions. 

But we can debate each other like this forever. So do you have to know someone YEARS to judge him? Wasn't  MDC's one action on Dec. 8th 1980 enough, for instance? Maybe he's a nice fella the other millions of days of his life before and after that (of course I'm being sarcastic, but I'm trying to show how far you can take this). Was Wayne okay to be judged, based on his relatively brief tenure here?

***To judge Heather on less than a handful of appearances?  I submit that is still silly....

I don't like her, based on what I've seen so far. I may be completely offbase and probably am. But people do the same to me every day - we all do. You can't know each individual on the planet intimately for decades before forming an impression.

***Yoko has been critical mass for decades on insults and shady thoughts.  Nothing she can do about it now

So that makes it okay? Or a correct blueprinti? I've met a lot of celebs in NYC over my life, and Yoko was one of the nicest and nothing like her "reputation" suggests.

HEATHER, on the other hand (who is the subject still, right?) is fresh meat!

Yeah, but Yoko was despised when she was "fresh meat," too ! The second people visually saw her, their minds were made up! (hey that's not very liberal!) ;D

Agreed. And much worthier of John's soul, apparently. John liked that about her -- Cynthia may have been more physically acceptable and quiet for the fans, but she always had the personality and challenge of a tree stump. John needed someone much deeper. Thankfully for him, he found her. 

***The operative word here is 'apparently'.

No, it isn't. You posted that PLAYBOY quote from John -- do you deny that she was everything he ever wanted/needed? Of COURSE she was more in tune with John than Cyn ever was. Ask him! :) 

***So then basically anyone who meets you in a brief monet of time and does not measure up is forever rotten?  I admit, I would feel put out by celebs had some of these events occured, and it would take a lot to convince me they were actually ok I suppose.  Human nature and all.

No, nothing's 100%. I'm only relating my impressions based on my personal experiences. You can tell me so and so is rotten or good -- but I can only go by my own experiences.

My initial impression about you stands as well: a big Yoko and John fan, an anti-Paulite.  Hey, world's full of them, no prob. 

I'm not a Big Yoko Fan - I just don't like injustice against her (somehow, seems like we're switiching politics here!)

You'd also be wrong that I'm anti-Paul, although if choosing beyween John and Paul, I'm a John Fan more. I also called paul "the greatest songwriter of the 2oth Century" - over John!

So, you are probably right that surface impressions aren't ALWAYS correct :)

I honestly don't care: as a fan of the Beatles all my life I love the four of them dearly.  All have offended and delighted me at one time or another, kind of like my own friends I guess .

Same here. You're way off base on this one.

I have a hard time understanding those who come down so hard against one or the other, but then that's just me. 

Right. Like I said with regard to Yoko.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 03:38:07 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1091393728,s=18 date=1091573113]

[/quote]

There's nowhere left to go with this.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 80 queries.