Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: American Pie  (Read 2713 times)

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
American Pie
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:13:08 PM »

I was listening to the song American Pie by Don Mclean.
then I watched a video that explains the song, I've heard the song before but never put 2 & 2 together.

the "Quartet" that Mclean was referring to was The Bealtes.
(the quartet practiced in the park)
"Helter Skelter, in a summer swelter... "- Bealtes.
"The marching band refused to yield... Sgt's played a marching tune"- Sgt. Pepper's
"Lennon read a book on Marks" -John Lennon
"We all got up to dance, but we never got the chance" - (Shea Stadium I think)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: American Pie
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 02:00:05 AM »

"Helter Skelter in a summer swelter" is actually a reference to the Sharon Tate murders.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:21:42 AM »

Lennon read a book on Marx or was it Lenin? It's ambiguous. I've seen the video and it's pretty interesting! He also references Dylan (the jester) I believe. You should post the link.  I've read that he's saying that the Beatles so dominated the music industry at one point nobody else had a chance to get through and it was especially deadly for the 50's type rock and roll music that this guy liked. Seeing as how he's also supposedly singing about Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Richie Valens' death.

The players tried for a forward pass,
With the jester on the sidelines in a cast.

Now the half-time air was sweet perfume
While the sergeants played a marching tune.
We all got up to dance,
Oh, but we never got the chance!
`cause the players tried to take the field;
The marching band refused to yield. (Beatles)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:03:44 AM »

Here's my take on the song:

Stanza I "A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile."
The birth of Rock'n'Roll.  Dance music.  Performer not too far separated from the audience.  

Stanza II "But february made me shiver
With every paper I’d deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step."

The death of Buddy Holly symbolizes the death of Rock'n'Roll as an underground, noncorporate phenomenon.  "The day the music died" is the day when music is no longer communal property but becomes a commercial product.  

Refrain: The speaker says goodbye to the American innocence of the multiple small labels, indie musicians of the Rock'n'Roll '50s.  He drives his chevy to the levee and thinking like Leadbelly wants to jump into the river and drown.  He morphs Buddy Holly's upbeat put-down song "That'll be the Day (That I Die)" into a dirge in which "Miss American Pie" (Miss American plus Apple Pie) has become what William Carlos Williams called the "pure products of American [gone] crazy." Like Leadbelly who sings about having a "great notion to jump in the river and drown," our singer drowns his sorry with cheap rye whisky and turns Holly's "That'll be the day" into "This'll be the day that I die."

Stanza III  This Stanza seems most rooted in personal memory as the speaker recalls the late fifties doo-wop and r-n-b dance music craze (and the whole "black music" is the "Devil's music" controversy of nascent rock-n-roll.)   Memories of high school gym dances in the lonely spaces of America seem like something out of Kerouac.  Something seeking articulation that lies beyond the simple words of Monotones 1959 hit "The Book of Love."

Refrain

Stanza IV  The speaker ain't so happy with what has replaced the innocent, honest and yet undeniably sexual energy of the first wave of rock'n'roll of the 1950s (the Golden Era).  Ten years later from Buddy Holly's death, we have the nihilistic faux-r'n'b of the Rolling Stones (grown fat with green moss of big corporate bucks--certainly not flying around in Cessnas like Buddy).  Dylan (a pure product with an authentic voice that "came from you and me") is out of the picture even though he had sung for the "king and queen" (his tours to England documented in "Don't Look Back, but also his anti-establishment stance in the corporate world of CBS records, who had "bought" and castrated the original "King" of rock-n-roll Elvis).  The jester (think "Jokerman" over a decade earlier) steals the rock icon's messianic crown perhaps without realizing the cost of the theft (having to play pop prince/messiah to an audience that wants easy answers he cannot in good conscience give them).  As those answers aren't so easy n typical Dylanesque fashion (or Lewis Carroll) "the courtroom is adjourned" and "no verdict is returned" (a couplet that seems derivative of the upside-down world of indeterminacy and injustice of Dylan's "John Wesley Harding" (1968).

The Beatles, another pop phenomenon like the Stones who have aped early rock-n-roll and turned it into a global commodity, have realized that they too have been caught in a capitalistic web of their own making.  So John Lennon (like his homophonic revolutionary predecessor Vladimir Lenin) reads Karl Marx but cannot lead an authentic cultural revolution.  Hence the quartet (Beatles in Sgt Pepper mode) "practice in the park," but are really only spinning their revolutionary wheels.  The real revolution died the day the music died.

Stanza V: The Beatles dream of "All You Need is Love" has descended into its own opposite: the nightmare vision of Manson's "Helter Skelter".  The Byrds (America's "answer" to the Beatles) can do no more to end the oppositional us-or-them/hippie-straight/capitalist-communist Cold War fallout shelter mentality that "authentic music" might have "thawed out."  Instead the reference to the song "Eight Miles High" ("falling fast") relates not only to censorship by the corporate powers-that-be (that keep the birds and the jester on a leash), but also to the failure of the drug culture to provide a breakthrough in enlightenment.  Dylan, who might have made some sense of the turmoil of the 1968 riots and social upheaval, is sidelined from his motorcycle accident and general disengagement with providing "public" answers to seemingly insolvable social problems of latter-day finance-capitalism in its death throes (symbolized by the meaningless football(?) game which descends into chaos in which the apparently military-style marching band "takes the field" much as US Military troops took and lost ground in Vietnam as reported on the Nightly News as if reporting on the lastest football games).  The Sergeants playing a marching tune is another reference to the Beatles (ala Sgt Pepper) which provides a false sense of cultural moment (rock as art), but ultimately as a moment missed.  You can't beat General Westmoreland and Nixon with song and dance.  Or fancy silk shirts and psychedelic gew-gaws.  

Stanza VII: The generation "lost in space" (from the TV show as well as hypnotized by the costly useless priapic space race to the moon) are all in one place in Woodstock--but later at Altamont (where Jack Flash--Mick Jagger as the demonic rock-star as Hitlerian rabble-rouser puppet who ultimately cannot control the primal forces he rouses and, hey, folks get murdered at a rock concert--who woulda thought?  Would this have ever happened at a Buddy Holly show?  Music has become stadiums and power and mass audience--the intimacy and connection of the original rock-n-roll performance has died.  The intimacy of the seduction has become the gangbang.  

Stanza VIII: The girl who "sang the blues" may be Janis Joplin--another victim to what Ray Davies called the Powerman entertainment business as well as her own bad habits engendered by the lack of authenticity in the rock star persona no one can live up to.  The corner music stores are gone--product is being pumped through to big-box vendors.  Commodification is all but complete.  The speaker gets a bit maudlin (or Paul Simonesque) with children screaming/poets dreaming, but the breaking of the church bells is symbolic of the loss of connection between a spiritual need to make a "joyful noise" or alternatively "sing the blues"--rather than go through the motions in which music becomes a mechanism of crowd control and corporate earnings.  Our last free gift of the soul has been bartered away for 30 pieces of silver.  The money-changers have taken over the temple.  The holy trinity (humanized--"the three men I admire most--in the ecstatic urge and spiritual connection of performer and audience) has been destroyed for this generation.  They've headed for the coast (west to LA or east to NYC, but either way the prognosis is not strong for a cultural rejuvenation that will allow music to serve as a guide for people to seek authenticity in their lives and spiritual power from the rhythms and lyrics of the songs.  

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:52:08 AM »

I always thought it was all about sex, but I see your point of view also ;)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »

Quote from: 977
"Lennon read a book on Marks" -John Lennon

Don's official site has the lyric as 'Lenin'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »

Quote from: 483

Thanks for that BM. I always thought it was Lenin reading about Marx, but never bothered to look it up.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »

Quote from: 373

Thanks for that BM. I always thought it was Lenin reading about Marx, but never bothered to look it up.

I was curious, because there are not many people he actually names. James Dean springs to mind, and Jack - presumably JFK. Others?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:47:38 PM »

Did'nt Roberta Flack write Killing Me Softly With His Song after hearing Don Mclean sing ?

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »

alright. thanks.
I assumed he meant Lennon because in the video he shows a picture of John.

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ycgegp0KdE4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ycgegp0KdE4</a>

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »

I wasn't sure about the  Lennon wrote a book on marks because I wasn't sure which- Lennon or Lenin. I just thought this was an interesting thing to talk about. I was listening and  things clicked in my mind. ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 08:43:44 PM »

I wasn't sure about the  Lennon wrote a book on marks because I wasn't sure which- Lennon or Lenin. I just thought this was an interesting thing to talk about. I was listening and  things clicked in my mind. ;D

That's cool. But it Marx, as in 'Karl, not Marks!

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 03:09:15 AM »

oh ok. ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »

alright. thanks.
I assumed he meant Lennon because in the video he shows a picture of John.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ycgegp0KdE4

That is not an official video. Just something someone has put together themselves. With a couple of bad interpretations in it. As far as I remember, there was no official promotional film for American Pie. I seem to remember Top Of The Pops showing a film of him in concert.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »

you could ask him....http://www.don-mclean.com/
he was on the beatclub.....

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »

I agree with most of adamzero's points, that is usually how I interpreted the song.

BTW, does it annoy anyone else when people perform this song and proceed to mangle/forget half the lyrics? If you're not going to get the lyrics right, DON'T PLAY THE SONG!!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »

Quote from: 218
I agree with most of adamzero's points, that is usually how I interpreted the song.

BTW, does it annoy anyone else when people perform this song and proceed to mangle/forget half the lyrics? If you're not going to get the lyrics right, DON'T PLAY THE SONG!!

It grinds my gears as well!

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »

That is not an official video. Just something someone has put together themselves. With a couple of bad interpretations in it. As far as I remember, there was no official promotional film for American Pie. I seem to remember Top Of The Pops showing a film of him in concert.

I know. that was just the video that I got all the information from. I knew it's not an official someone asked me to post it.
I just thought this would be interesting to look into, my Beatles references may not be exact but they are mentioned in the song and that's all I really was trying to say.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »

Quote from: 218

YES. I HATE THAT
did you see on American Idol someone sang Imagine and GOT IT WRONG.

they said " Sharing OF the world"
when it's "Sharing all the world."

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 12:21:05 AM »

Quote from: 971
Did'nt Roberta Flack write Killing Me Softly With His Song after hearing Don Mclean sing ?

Killing Me Softly was Charles Fox & Norman Gimbel.
And, I have no idea!

About "American Pie", is one of the greatest songs EVER! I love the Madonna version too.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 88 queries.