Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: White Album Bass  (Read 7246 times)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
White Album Bass
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:24:26 AM »

I've always thought the White Album bass was fantastic! Recently I saw a late 68 photo of Paul playing a left handed Fender bass. I then listened to the CD again (and again) and am trying to figure out some of the songs he may have used this guitar on. So far I speculate Everybodys Got..., Yer Blues, maybe Helter Skelter. I don't think the Hofner could have made all those rich deep tones. Any ideas on this?
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

Re: White Album Bass
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:59 AM »

I've always thought the White Album bass was fantastic! Recently I saw a late 68 photo of Paul playing a left handed Fender bass. I then listened to the CD again (and again) and am trying to figure out some of the songs he may have used this guitar on. So far I speculate Everybodys Got..., Yer Blues, maybe Helter Skelter. I don't think the Hofner could have made all those rich deep tones. Any ideas on this?

you need this lol

http://www.beatlesfabgear.com/

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »

I certainly do.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 02:22:42 AM »

Great book!
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 02:29:23 AM »

theres lots of different bass tones on the white album, some Fender Jazz, some Rickenbacker, some Hofner, some Fender Bass XI, some played by Paul some by George and some by John, some played on 2 basses, for me the plunk is on the Jazz bass

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:51:04 AM »

Helter Skelter was the Bass XI probably played by John, he can be seen playing it here on Let It Be (although George played it on Hey Jude Video), they liked it because of its short scale and thinner strings more suited to a guitarist.

The Beatles - Let It Be

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:36:03 AM »

Your right on Helter skelter but I've read in some publications it was George on bass. Giving Johns so-so performance on Long and Winding Road do you think John was up to such a raucious bass line!?
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »

it may well have been George but John was quite a raucous guitarist so maybe he couldve done it ok

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:57:20 AM »

Figuring it out is a lifetime.
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 05:00:26 AM »

That's one of the things I love about this band. There's always something new to discover. I agree with you about the bass on this album. I'm not a musician but it was this album that made me think that I've got to pay more attention to the music, and not just the lyrics.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »

Agree, There are so many layers on this album you can always find something new. I put in a new speaker system in my truck and have heard new things everywhere!  : )
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »

at least i figured out how to spell raucous  hehe

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »

Lol! It's a good word! Very fitting.
Mark Twain

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 12:45:36 AM »

theres lots of different bass tones on the white album, some Fender Jazz, some Rickenbacker, some Hofner, some Fender Bass XI, some played by Paul some by George and some by John, some played on 2 basses, for me the plunk is on the Jazz bass

"Back In The U.S.S.R." has three different bass tracks, played by John (6-string), Paul and George.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »

I Want You (She"s So Heavy) has two for sure.
Mark Twain

Page created in 0.711 seconds with 65 queries.