Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: EPSTEIN/BEATLES BIOPIC!!!!!  (Read 4130 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
EPSTEIN/BEATLES BIOPIC!!!!!
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:53:37 AM »

The early days of the Beatles has been told on-screen before, in the 1994 film Backbeat, but never with Brian Epstein as a central character. Now Hollywood is planning to film a script about the Liverpudlian manager and entrepreneur who brought the Fab Four to the public's attention and secured them a contract with EMI, according to Variety.

Tony Gittelson's screenplay A Life in the Day centres on the man who discovered the Beatles in 1961 and was their guiding light until 1967, when he died of a drug overdose at the age of 32. The film is expected to focus on the formation of the band.

Backbeat, which starred Ian Hart as John Lennon and Stephen Dorff as early Beatles bassist Stuart Sutcliffe, was about the band's early days performing in Hamburg and learning their trade. Epstein was not a major character, but did appear in 1991's The Hours and Times, also starring Hart as Lennon, a fictional retelling of the events of a holiday the pair took together in 1963. David Angus played the role.

Epstein, who started out in the music business by selling records from his father's appliance store in Liverpool, heard the Beatles on his lunch break at the Cavern Club. After becoming their manager, he relentlessly pursued a record deal for the quartet. "Everybody turned down the band, even though Brian promised they would become bigger than Elvis. He finally got George Martin at EMI to change his mind and give them an audition," said David Permut, producer of the planned film.

Epstein said of his experience watching the Beatles for the first time: "I was immediately struck by their music, their beat, and their sense of humour on stage – and, even afterwards, when I met them, I was struck again by their personal charm. And it was there that, really, it all started."

The deal to film Gittelson's screenplay comes at a time when the band's popularity is once again on the rise. Digitally-remastered versions of all of the Beatles studio albums are to be released on 9 September after a 21-year wait, and a special Beatles version of the game Rock Band is on its way. Back to the Future director Robert Zemeckis is also planning a new 3D version of Yellow Submarine, using motion-capture technology.

Permut, who is also producing forthcoming biopics of John DeLorean and Sam Kinison, is planning to pursue rights to certain - presumably early - Beatles songs. Backbeat, alternatively, featured a variety of grunge musicians of the period performing covers of other people's tracks which the band would have performed in Hamburg.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/aug/26/beatles-brian-epstein-biopic

my reaction to this:
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: EPSTEIN/BEATLES BIOPIC!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:26:46 AM »

They've been talking about this for years with Jude Law as Brian. Hope it happens.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:34:09 AM »

I remember hearing about that, but I didn't realize it was the same people. If I had my way it would've been made 20 years ago and starred Tom Hanks.

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »

I remember hearing about that, but I didn't realize it was the same people. If I had my way it would've been made 20 years ago and starred Tom Hanks.

In "That thing you do" Hanks is a manager of a group called The Wonders. In this film he always remember me to Brian and the drummer is very "Pete Best" to me

With our love we can save the world

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »

Didn't Brian die on August 27? Is that a coincidence?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:01:16 PM »

Tom Hanks is to old for the role ?
That guy from Gavin and Stacy , Mathew Horne would be a good choice to play Brian he looks a bit like him and he's a good actor ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:08:04 PM »

Mathew Horne to play Brian ?

http://
Unwelcome visitor - Gavin and Stacey - BBC comedy

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »

I love That Thing You Do! It's such a good little film. Tom Hanks' character in it is very Brian-esque which is what made me think of him for the role.

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 54 queries.