Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The "Do you like that band?" Game  (Read 11358 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: The "Do you like that band?" Game
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 06:46:29 AM »

I don't apologise for not liking the clash or the era they come from.

The six or seven songs I know ('London Calling', 'Tommy Gun', their colour-by-numbers cover of 'I Fought The Law', 'Rock The Casbah', 'Should I Stay' etc.) have always sounded half-baked to me, and still do.

My main gripe with them was their po-faced slant on everything (one such example being not appearing on Top of the Pops) only to blatantly sell out, more than any other group has ever sold out in history, by plugging American jeans in order to, I'm reliably told, send their kids through public school!

But I did wait until someone else commented, it's just no one seemed to want to!
I'll stick to the groups I like in future.

Next.....Crosby, Stills and Nash.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 07:40:44 AM »

I didn't answer because I was kind of waiting for someone who knew more about them than I do to answer. I am not a big fan of this genre but the few songs that I knew caught my attention at a time (late high school and college) when I was spending all my money on 60's music. I just read the Wiki on "London Calling" and it was interesting. I think I will tap the vast powers of YouTube and see if i like anything else. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  :)

Next...Crosby, Stills & Nash

hang on Kelley nobodies done Barrys pick yet, The Tremeloes :D

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »

I don't apologise for not liking the clash or the era they come from.

But dude, no one's asking you to! You just made a statement about how EVERY Clash song sounds like a demo, and I disagreed, because it's a stupid thing to say since (as you admitted), you're not familiar with the band beyond the occasional song. Not to mention that it's completely untrue. Hate them all you want, for all I care. I can't change that and I'm not even trying to. In fact, I'm not even that much of a fan. But it was an ignorant thing to say and I just had to argue. Kind of like saying that "all Beach Boys songs are silly surf anthems" or that "Pink Floyd songs are only good when you're stoned". See where I'm coming from?

Anyway, I'll just move on.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:05:07 AM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »

"Pink Floyd songs are only good when you're stoned"

There is some truth in that statement.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 10:08:07 AM »

f*** the Clash

Carry on.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »

Well, if arguing is allowed I must say something about nimrod's comment about the Byrds! ;D

Im not keen, well ok, I dont like them, theyre too wishy washy for me, songs like 'turn turn turn' and Tambourine Man  for me are boring and a lot of their stuff sounds the same, and has no balls  ;D
jingly jangly ? no thanks !!

I can understand that you find those songs as boring if you don't like the Folk Rock genre, but I don't agree that a lot of their stuff sounds the same, the Byrds are actually one of the most diverse bands ever. They started as jangly folk rockers, but they were also pioneers of psychedelia and Country Rock. The later version of the band even did some Acid and Hard Rock. You can still not liking anything they did, but their music was certainly very varied. Check out Younger Than Yesterday if you want to experience that in just one record.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

(Can't let The Byrds thread go without saying that 'Younger Than Yesterday' and 'Notorious Byrds Brothers' hold their own with any LP ever made, and don't even start me on 'Lady Friend'!!!!)

I agree on Younger Than Yesterday, and in my opinion their other masterpiece was Mr. Tambourine Man, not only because of the music but also because of its importance in rock music. But The Notorious Byrd Brothers is not that good in my opinion; it's another classic Byrds' album, of course, and a must have, but I don't think it's as consistent as the previous four albums. I guess it's usually considered as a masterpiece because it's very psychedelic and experimental, and I like that, but I think that the songwriting is not as strong there.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »

f*** the Clash

Carry on.

You hate punk because it is all about being angry, aggressive, provocative and foul-mouthed. Yet you express your opinion in that very same way. What does this say about you?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Bobber

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »

Well, if arguing is allowed I must say something about nimrod's comment about the Byrds! ;D

The rule is: no personal attacks. But there's nothing wrong with disagreeing.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »

The rule is: no personal attacks. But there's nothing wrong with disagreeing.

Of course, no need to mention that. I was just referring to this thread, as it is intended as a discussion one.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

I remember wondering how they came up with their name.  Then, one day in 1968, I noticed this nameplate on a steamroller doing some repaving work on a road by my school... Cool name for a group!

That name describes perfectly the band and their music!

KelMar

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »

hang on Kelley nobodies done Barrys pick yet, The Tremeloes :D
[/quote]

LOL I should have read the whole thread more carefully. I was multitasking and I don't do that well!  ;)

Well, yeah, the main objective of this thread was to stir up some conversation, rather than everybody just answering "Yeah, I love them" and then move on. Isn't arguing more interesting?

It's a great thread Ovi but no, I don't think the arguing has been more interesting than the positive comments. The positive comments were very well thought out and interesting. Arguing has two definitions:

1. give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory.
or
2. exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way.

If we use definition #1 this will continue to be a great thread. Definition #2 tends to make some people not want to join in and that's the biggest conversation killer of all. So.....

Next: The Tremeloes

nimrod

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »

I can understand that you find those songs as boring if you don't like the Folk Rock genre, but I don't agree that a lot of their stuff sounds the same, the Byrds are actually one of the most diverse bands ever. They started as jangly folk rockers, but they were also pioneers of psychedelia and Country Rock. The later version of the band even did some Acid and Hard Rock. You can still not liking anything they did, but their music was certainly very varied. Check out Younger Than Yesterday if you want to experience that in just one record.

Im sure to their fans theyre the best thing since sliced bread, but I saw them in the 70's, I remember songs like 8 miles high, Mr Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn, all boring electric folky jangly 3 or 4 chord songs that just plod on with ho highs to get excited about, I almost fell asleep.  Jim McGuinn is a weak singer.
Sorry Byrds fans, I dont like theyre sound or theyre style, mediocre compared to Love. Rock should Rock and have some balls.
Id probably even prefer watching The Clash ;)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 01:26:40 AM »

Im sure to their fans theyre the best thing since sliced bread, but I saw them in the 70's, I remember songs like 8 miles high, Mr Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn, all boring electric folky jangly 3 or 4 chord songs that just plod on with ho highs to get excited about, I almost fell asleep.  Jim McGuinn is a weak singer.
Sorry Byrds fans, I dont like theyre sound or theyre style, mediocre compared to Love. Rock should Rock and have some balls.

That's all right Kevin, I was just telling you that they were a very diverse band, not everything they did sounds the same.

I guess that trying to get you into the Byrds is like trying to get me into any Prog Rock band! ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:02:39 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

KelMar

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »

Wow Kev, you must really hate the Byrds! I like their jangly sound myself and they were one of the 60's bands that I remember hearing in their day. I even got to help my brother play Mr. Tambourine Man on his guitar. He played the chords and I strummed and that's as far as I ever got as a guitarist. LOL

nimrod

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 03:37:43 AM »

That's all right Kevin, I was just telling you that they were a very diverse band, not everything they did sounds the same.

I guess that trying to getting you into the Byrds is like trying to getting me into any Prog Rock band! ;D

exactly Hombre ;)

Wow Kev, you must really hate the Byrds! I like their jangly sound myself and they were one of the 60's bands that I remember hearing in their day. I even got to help my brother play Mr. Tambourine Man on his guitar. He played the chords and I strummed and that's as far as I ever got as a guitarist. LOL

Not hate Kelley, just they dont do anything for me, one of the poorest big name live bands Ive ever seen. (in 1971)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:16 AM »

Ovi

Bizarre to say I don't know much of the clash's stuff (true - I seriously wouldn't want to) when you admit to only owning one of their albums.

Their whole back catalogue can be bought for a third of the price of a match ticket at Arsenal (where, it seems, the half-baked 'London Calling' is a fixture) so, if you're so defensive of them, why don't you have those records? £20 and you'd have them all and be able to comment on all of their songs.

As it transpires, my own knowledge of them - knowing the names of about 20 of their songs and being able to remember how 10 or so of them go - must be WAY AHEAD of the national average! I'd be truly amazed if anyone down my street (and I live in London) could name more.

I'll revise my opinion if it makes you happier.....the tiresome bit of the clash I've heard I don't like. Don't like their era, don't like their image, don't like them. Is that alright? I only did them because the thread had ground to an almighty halt!

Next.....The Tremeloes (I think)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 06:47:50 AM »

OK, let's get this baby back on the road.

Brian Poole & The Tremeloes - the fourth most famous thing to come out of Dagenham in the 60s after motor cars, Dudley Moore and Sandie Shaw.

Still most famous for being the group who beat The Beatles to a Decca contract on 1st January 1962.
(While The Beatles' audition that day has been picked over endlessly, has anyone actually heard the audition tape which beat it? - Has it ever been released?).

Charted with 'Twist & Shout' (ironically a much inferior version to Lennon's - mind, that might be the greatest cover of all time!!!!) and then had a huge hit with 'Do You Love Me?', but the group were cursed with the same problem that Andrew Oldham was so aware might thwart The Rolling Stones' progress - namely, that they didn't write their own material.

Poole went his own way by 1966 -  a common event in the mid-60s (Paul Jones, Wayne Fontana) - and, against the odds, was less successful than the group he left, as The Trems continued to have sporadic hits, some huge, through to the end of the decade.

Next.....Procol Harum.

nimrod

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »

you didnt say whether you liked them ?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »

I like them!
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.912 seconds with 77 queries.