Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 203

Author Topic: What's the weather like in your country or state?  (Read 336380 times)

KelMar

Re: What's the weather like in your country or state?
« Reply #1820 on: November 24, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »

I see.  Nothing like that around here.  I was a waiter at a sleepaway camp.  Other summers we just played on the streets, opening fire hydrants and waiting for the Good Humor man. 

During the 1964-5 World's Fair we used to sneak in under the fence by the swamp.  We got to the Fair by sneaking onto the Long Island Railroad and running from car to car dodging the conductors.  We also used to put coins in the tracks and let the trains squash them.  That's the closest thing to Rail Camp that I did.

That was a rough crowd you ran with Barry! I've been on some trains in your area but I paid for my passage.  ;) We took an Amtrak train from Buffalo to Penn Station, then rode a NJ Transit train to Princeton when the kids were little. Our destination was my cousin's home in Millstone Township. She planned a trip for us on the The Black River & Western Railroad too and a visit to a model railroad museum. It was a nice time, even though the NJ Transit train broke down on the way in and I did something really embarrassing that the family still talks about on the way back to NYC.  :laugh:

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1821 on: November 24, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »

I bet they'll also get a lot of junk food to take along.  Camping is no fun without good stuff like that to eat.

I never heard of Ding Dongs.  We have Ring Dings around here.  They're probably similar.  Healthy nourishment!  The best cake I ever eated.
Ding Dongs stay fresh! Even after digestion!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1822 on: November 24, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

Here's the scoop on Ding Dongs/Ring Dings.   ;D

Drake's Ring Dings
The company marketed the snacks on the East Coast as Big Wheels, to avoid confusion with the Ring Ding, a similar (and pre-existing) treat by Drake's Cakes. The names were consolidated in 1987, when a short-lived merger of Drake's with Hostess' parent company (then Continental Baking Company) briefly resolved the Ring Ding/Ding Dong conflict. When the merged company broke up, however, Hostess was forced to cease, once again, using the Ding Dongs name in areas where Ring Dings were available. The compromise sound-alike name King Dons lasted until Interstate Bakeries Corporation, which had recently merged with Hostess' parent company, bought Drake's in 1998. The Hostess product was then sold under the name Ding Dongs throughout the United States, although it was still sold as the King Don in Canada.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1823 on: November 24, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »

Here's the scoop on Ding Dongs/Ring Dings.   ;D

Drake's Ring Dings
The company marketed the snacks on the East Coast as Big Wheels, to avoid confusion with the Ring Ding, a similar (and pre-existing) treat by Drake's Cakes. The names were consolidated in 1987, when a short-lived merger of Drake's with Hostess' parent company (then Continental Baking Company) briefly resolved the Ring Ding/Ding Dong conflict. When the merged company broke up, however, Hostess was forced to cease, once again, using the Ding Dongs name in areas where Ring Dings were available. The compromise sound-alike name King Dons lasted until Interstate Bakeries Corporation, which had recently merged with Hostess' parent company, bought Drake's in 1998. The Hostess product was then sold under the name Ding Dongs throughout the United States, although it was still sold as the King Don in Canada.
I learned something today! Thank You!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1824 on: November 24, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »

Wow! A otherwise perfect cloudless fall day butt... it's 21F and the wind is howling!!! I'm staying in!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1825 on: November 24, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »

Wow! A otherwise perfect cloudless fall day butt... it's 21F and the wind is howling!!! I'm staying in!

Brrrrr! Sounds like a good idea, Dave!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1826 on: November 24, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »

Let us know how your boy does Kathy. I'm sure he'll be fine.  :)

Thanks, Kelley! All went well. I was having panicky concerns about hypothermia last night, but he survived.  :) 

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1827 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »

Brrrrr! Sounds like a good idea, Dave!
Wind chill is well below zero! Enjoying the woodstove, Chinese food and waiting for the Patriots/Denver game!
Oh yeah! Pie for desert later!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #1828 on: November 25, 2013, 01:40:12 AM »

I was having panicky concerns about hypothermia last night, but he survived.  :) 

They no doubt brought plenty of Ding Dongs along.

The best cake he ever eated.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1829 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:52 AM »

That was a rough crowd you ran with Barry! I've been on some trains in your area but I paid for my passage.  ;)

Yeah, well sometimes we took the Subway Special to the World's Fair...

World's Fair Subway Special - TV commercial for NYCTA

...toll-free     ;D     

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1830 on: November 25, 2013, 01:58:54 AM »

It was a nice time, even though the NJ Transit train broke down on the way in and I did something really embarrassing that the family still talks about on the way back to NYC.  :laugh:

You can't say that and just walk away!  What did you do?

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1831 on: November 25, 2013, 05:31:40 AM »

Yeah! Tell us!!!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1832 on: November 25, 2013, 05:32:51 AM »

Wind chill is well below zero! Enjoying the woodstove, Chinese food and waiting for the Patriots/Denver game!
Oh yeah! Pie for desert later!
I don't believe it! They won!
 The pie was good - twice!  :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:53:58 PM by Dcazz »
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1833 on: November 25, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »

That was a rough crowd you ran with Barry! I've been on some trains in your area but I paid for my passage.  ;) We took an Amtrak train from Buffalo to Penn Station, then rode a NJ Transit train to Princeton when the kids were little. Our destination was my cousin's home in Millstone Township. She planned a trip for us on the The Black River & Western Railroad too and a visit to a model railroad museum. It was a nice time, even though the NJ Transit train broke down on the way in and I did something really embarrassing that the family still talks about on the way back to NYC.  :laugh:
We're waiting!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1834 on: November 25, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »

We're waiting!

Yes; 'fess up, Kelley!   ;D

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1835 on: November 25, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »

Tick Tock, Tick Tock...
Mark Twain

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #1836 on: November 26, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »

Oh! She still hasn't said nothing!!!???

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1837 on: November 26, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »

Oh! She still hasn't said nothing!!!???
Nope! Nothing. I must be really bad!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #1838 on: November 26, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »

You can't say that and just walk away!  What did you do?

Oh geez; I didn’t think anyone would want to hear this stupid story! Guess I was wrong. LOL Well, anyway, we were on this train packed with commuters. While I was standing and waiting to get off I had my hand resting on the headrest of the seat ahead of me with my fingers kind of bent. When we finally started moving I discovered, to my horror, that it wasn’t the headrest but a bald guy’s head! The seats were high and I guess I was too busy looking the other way to realize. I was mortified and also creeped out that he just sat there like that as long as he did! Thank goodness the line moved fast once it got going. My worst mistake was telling the rest of my crew about it. I can't take the train into NYC without someone bringing that up!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1839 on: November 26, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »

ha2ha  That sounds like the kind of story you will never live, down, Kelley! Thanks for sharing.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 203

Page created in 0.884 seconds with 77 queries.